Stuff you carry in your aircraft

NT5224

I've recently been thinking about storage and interior design in my aircraft. It got me to thinking about stuff I routinely carry when I fly, some of which is quite odd.

We all fly for different purposes, in different regions, and in different aircraft and so the stuff we  prioritise to carry will reflect these differences.

For example, I always carry a  1m step ladder in the back of my aircraft.

I selected it for its light weight. Obviously, I use this for refuelling. Im a tall bloke, but the Rebel's wings are still over my head.

I once met an old timer who swore he never flew anywhere without his six shooter. I think his logic was  that it was for personal protection if he was forced down in the scrub.....   :laugh:

Whats in  the back of your aircraft?

Alan

• Like 1

Nothing in the back usually, except my flight bag occasionally. But I always fly wearing a survival vest. Using the logic "I fly in a plane I built in my back shed!" makes explanations at the bowser much easier. ?

1394349619_SurvivalVestLAbelled.thumb.jpg.fdbbf2ecbbc30e193c2be34f6f008b87.jpg

• Like 2

The tampon has me confused but...

years ago a friend visited  gold mine in Fiji and saw all the miners wearing a feminine item around their foreheads. Apparently it was the best way to keep perspiration out of their eyes in a a very hot and humid environment.

years ago a friend visited  gold mine in Fiji and saw all the miners wearing a feminine item around their foreheads. Apparently it was the best way to keep perspiration out of their eyes in a a very hot and humid environment.

The tampon and sanitary pad are for controlling severe bleeding. Absolute worst case, put tampon into wound, and pad over the top, tape it and hope for quick rescue. They are small, and already sterile. The condoms for carrying water, use as a slingshot elastic, small tourniquet, makeshift gloves, or even waterproof storage if needed - because I know one of you will ask about them next! ?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1
  • More 1

Yeah! I too carry a load of stuff but KRviator leaves me in the shade - I tips me lid to you sir.

Permanently stowed:

A small first aid kit, a selection of tools, a couple of high energy bars, water, lightweight all weather clothing, fire starter, compass, PLB, torch, jump start cables,  tyre repair kit, hand pump, plastic bags of various sizes, cable "zip" ties, handheld transceiver, tie down kit, canopy cleaning kit, seat booster for small persons, ERSA & other aviation related bumf. Spare batteries for various things. Usual aircraft/pilot recording items, etc etec

On an away trips:

I also carry a canopy cover, prop covers, two 20 L collapsible fuel bladders, 12V fuel transfer pump and if camping, all the necessary, including chair, stove, table, bedding & tent.

It's truly amazing what will fit in a small aircraft .

All from defective memory so I am sure I have missed a few items.

... years ago a friend visited  gold mine in Fiji and saw all the miners wearing a feminine item around their foreheads. Apparently it was the best way to keep perspiration out of their eyes in a a very hot and humid environment.

In some of the underground mines in the West of Oz, large volumes of saline water containing nasty additional (naturally-occurring) chemicals such as Arsenic compounds are present.

The Arsenic-laced water attacks the soft fleshy parts of the body, and the Arsenic can be absorbed through the softer areas of skin, causing Arsenic poisoning symptoms.

To prevent problems, the miners working in this water underground, took to wearing tight pantyhose. The pantyhose was very effective at preventing the Arsenic attacking sensitive areas, such as the crotch.

However, I cannot see any reason for ever wearing pantyhose, whilst piloting an aircraft - unless you get off on that kind of kinkiness, of course.

10L of water goes with me everywhere, particularly in remote regions. More than one person has died of thirst in a remote area, before help reached them.

I take lots of stuff when I go away but just keep a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, phone & spot tracker when flying locally. When I was at Parkes I loaned my hammer that I considered an essential item to half a dozen people who had no way of getting their tent pegs into the hard ground.

• Like 1

Thread Drift Alert!

Back when I was annoying motorists on the Hume Highway, some of my colleagues would waterproof the speed radar unit by putting a condom over it when there it was misty or raining. I remember one of these blokes as being of relatively slight build. You can imagine the snickering after he left the chemist's with a couple of extra large condoms.

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

Alan what a great thread!

My tiny little baby has limited space and weight carrying capacity, but I carry:

Tool kit, screw-in tie downs, puncture repair CO2 bottles, spare nuts, bolts, zippie ties, split pins, etc., occy straps, ropes, spare oil, head lamps.

Communication: Portable radio, PLB, Compact Disc (mirror), phone, iPad, big bright orange garbage bags,

Supplies: Two 600ml bottles water, muesli bars, miso soup sachets, petrol camping stove, saucepan, frying pan, matches, utensils.

Protection: Space blanket, big bright orange garbage bags, tent, sunnies, hat.

I wear wool and other natural fibre clothes in case of fire and carry a Leatherman, phone, PLB and my ID.

Nothing in the back usually, except my flight bag occasionally. But I always fly wearing a survival vest. Using the logic "I fly in a plane I built in my back shed!" makes explanations at the bowser much easier. ?

[ATTACH]41739[/ATTACH]

Does your harness fit alright with that on?

Does your harness fit alright with that on?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: I do need to route it (the shoulder straps) inboard of the PLB & Firefly pouches and that can make it rub on my neck, so I tend to ensure I always wear a collared shirt with it up to prevent any discomfort. I have even flown Victor 1 with an inflatable life jacket over the vest several times without issue. The longest flights I've done with it so far have been Sydney-Caloundra return at 3.0 + 3.5 hours in a day and it hasn't been uncomfortable. 

• Informative 1

Someone said mirror.  When I bought my outback going Mooney the guy that owned it before me had a super shinny piece of metal, quite thin, rather than glass that could fracture in case of accident.

I always carried oil on trips across Australia, never know when oil consumption may increase.

Holey flasher. !.   Since it reflects I can't see how the hole works. It's a flat surface  and the suns incidence must equal the angle to the place you wish to see you. That actually needs a fair bit of judgement and I would probably rock it around a "good guess" point if I ever had to do it. I think it's worthwhile to carry. You also should carry some form of igniting leaves etc. Steel wool rolls on battery terminals will do that. Nev

Put your finger up in front of the mirror so that the light is reflected onto it. Move your finger until it aligns with who you are trying to attract, while keeping the reflected light on your finger.

Takes longer to write than to do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

You also should carry some form of igniting leaves etc.

Just don't do what one pilot did when he crash-landed in the semi-desert country NE of Kalgoorlie. He lit up the spinifex to attract attention, and burnt his aircraft to a crisp in the process!

I lived in Rabaul in the early 1970s and learned to Scuba dive there.  We all had turns on the Bottle filler and occasionally had to troop down to "Mills Pills, Potions and French Letters"  (John Mills Chemist shop in Mango Avenue) to buy a half a dozen boxes of tampons.  Us blokes got the same "looks" as when buying condoms.  They were the Filters to ensure pure air went into the tanks.

The Life Support kit above looks much like the Secumar Life Support kit I used to wear when I went up with a QFI at 2FTS in the Unit's PC9s.  Nope I wasn't learning,  It was usually a transit from RAAF Pearce to RAAF Learmonth.  and Yes The harness did fit alright with that gear on ?

The Life Support kit above looks much like the Secumar Life Support kit

I thought similarly, but with the Air Warrior vest the Tigger crew use. They fit with a harness, but to quote Emily Joy Hills "Look like a f**kin gypsy caravan".

185406836_Airwarrior1.jpg.8f5f89c8e858309b3dcc3e20515770ee.jpg

I thought similarly, but with the Air Warrior vest the Tigger crew use. They fit with a harness, but to quote Emily Joy Hills "Look like a f**kin gypsy caravan".

[ATTACH]41763[/ATTACH]

You have a damned sight more hardware than I had nearly 20 years ago but that was their Training stuff and your had to "dress" to the left ?

2022669380_Aharddaysflying.thumb.jpg.3407fe8dd3f74cd0bae9b43d23c77b60.jpg

You have a damned sight more hardware than I had nearly 20 years ago but that was their Training stuff and your had to "dress" to the left ?

[ATTACH]41771[/ATTACH]

I should mention that’s not me in the pic. It’s just a photo pulled from the interwebs.

The photo doesn’t show the knife usually strapped to the leg either. 

At Avalon this year one of the aircrew thought he might not make the flying display because a security guard wouldn’t let him in with a knife and the Army won’t let them fly without all their kit. 

You haven't considered marketing the vest? Looked for the military ones mentioned.. and it seem they are that ..miltary..not commercial

The vest itself is a combination of MOLLE equipment over a tactical vest. Some of the US RV'ers use those fly-fishing vests as an alternative too. Ultimately what I use may not fit anyone else, or they might have different priorities in what they want to carry, but the beauty of the MOLLE system is you can customise it to suit your own needs & wants.

An example is this bare vest is on Ebay for $40, and you can add whatever pouches you want and will fit in your cockpit. You'll notice I haven't focused too much on food, though there is a small snare in one of the pouches. You can go 3 weeks without tucker, and I hope I would be home by then! Survival to me, isn't about camping in luxury, it is about making sure you are still alive when the paramedics find you, so I have put more medical, first aid and location aids in there than rations. For remote areas, I would carry water in the back of the plane, but not on my person. You can still go 3 days without water and again, I hope AMSA would have at least found me by then, even if the ground party is still some days away.

To that end, I typically use OzRunways with tracking enabled, I have ADS-B in the RV, and for XC flights, I file a plan, rather than just a flight note or worse, nothing at all - even if ASA does get confused because not many RAAus aircraft request flight following...The recent Mooney prang inland from Coffs shows the benefit to ADS-B in the search effort, even if it wasn't a happy ending...

• Like 1