What’s wrong with these P-Pruners?

F10

Recently I came across a thread on P-Prune. Wow, they have a very low opinion of RA pilots...now by nature, Recreational aviation will not be as regulated and therefore it would be unrealistic to expect as good a safety recorder RPT operations. To expect so would be ludicrous. That is NOT to say we should not strive hard and constantly to promote flight safety. But we have personal freedoms (I hope) and free choice in this country. Safety will always have a personal attitude or choice element to it, with RA. So, on Prune, I was amazed at these comments like “cowboys” and “wannabe” aviators and my own personal favourite, “those who can’t afford real aircraft” ! Well, to those Pruners....look in the mirror, and extend a tall back handed middle finger up to the image. Any one of you reading this, are welcome to contact me and check on how much of a “cowboy, wannabe aviator” I am. As for not being able to afford it, well that arrogance is so breathtaking, I can’t even comment on it.

Edited by F10
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Yeah.....like I said, if it sounds too good to be true......or like second hand car adverts, “slight” damage to RHS front light, or upholstery “slightly” worn....

Prune people aren't even nice to each other and do seem to come across as generally psychotic.. I only go there for RARE specific references to some incidents..  There's a few RAAus types who think heavy metal Pilots can't fly either.. Beat the BS  Ignore a lot of it and be happy. Nev

• Like 2

Agreed, generally do ignore or find amusing....but this was so blatant and arrogant, I was astounded.

13 minutes ago, pmccarthy said:

Plenty of people paying around $200K for new RAA aircraft these days.

Yeah, no doubt the Pruner commenting on those who “can’t afford real aircraft”, owns a 747-800 Executive jet, probably 2.

Permanently Parked near a Nice beach, they might have some value..  Bang for your buck is what it's about..  John Travolta has had enough of pretending to be an Airline Pilot..  Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A Corby would be way cheaper than a plastic fantastic RAAus aircraft, even if it was GA reg and most of them are.

Some of the accident reports from airline crashes make me wonder if those pilots are capable of flying. There are reports of pilots asking each other "What i it doing now?" as they are crashing, or not being able to tell that their airspeed is high, even though the nose is way below the horizon according to their instruments.

I know this is a very small proportion, but it really worries me that airline pilots can be so unable to work out what is happening.

There are also many cowboys in GA flying and sadly they often take someone else with them when they exceed their self professed expert capabilities.

From what I read here there are some RAAus pilots who seem to be lacking in theory knowledge, but they may be perfectly capable pilots.

• Like 1

Anyhow would you rather drive a Lotus super 7 or a B triple?  Big stuff drivers have to FLY when and where they are told to. Hail or shine  day or night. Xmas eve or on your birthday. You are only a number to the management and the shareholders.. No visitors allowed up the front. Nev

• Like 2

Yenn, if you don't understand the  Flight control system logic and only read normal news outlets , you can't really comment  effectively and in an informed way,.on things like AF 447..  Air Crash Investigation is sort of OK but again people who fly the Particular type are probably able to poke holes in some of the commentary. .. Line pilots know what the problems are better than almost any other group can expect to. Nev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Plenty of people paying around $200K for new RAA aircraft these days.

I wish that were true - prices for new factory built, Rotax 91  powered aircraft actually start at about $130+ landed in Au. For sure you can pay $200K and then another $100K if you so please.  The price seems to reflect styling and hype more than performance.  Oh and then there is the person who wants the very latest gadget laden panel - anywhere from an additional $20K to the sky (+ $100K)

Very advanced kits, can make a lot of sense for the person looking for the best performance dollar.

Very nice used RV's with glass can be had for 130k, they most likely will continue to appreciate in value. Some of the plastic fantastic types suffer high rates of depreciation, good for used buyers I guess.

I am afraid to say that Pprune has “gone corporate”.  $$$ are now a consideration and the place has been captured by regulators. Anything and anyone “controversial “ is now removed. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Affordable VH aircraft !.

The Better Grob planes are now up to $12,100,  

Still cheaper than that Corolla.

Three or four days to go.

spacesailor 

Still 12 days to go. I will guess 50-80k for the top 15 or so. Most of the lycoming engines are into their 5th or 6th life, somewhat reassuring.  

Another reason why I would be happy even if I was a lowly FAA. FAR Part 103 flyer, what ever way you look at it you are still able to fly, what’s not to like.......oh that’s right.......people get a bee in their bonnet over no licence and no rego!!

The Wright Bros and many after them had no licence, no rego either 🙂 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jackc said:

Another reason why I would be happy even if I was a lowly FAA. FAR Part 103 flyer, what ever way you look at it you are still able to fly, what’s not to like.......oh that’s right.......people get a bee in their bonnet over no licence and no rego!!

A few of us remember one of those with a similar outlook. 

Decided to to a beat up of some water skiers on a lake followed by the steep pull up; screwed it up and crashed into the water.

Had to be rescued by the ski boat and needed emergency services.

No problem with CASA or RAA; they couldn't find him if he wasn't registered and didn't have the old number on the side.

In fact I think someone suggested it wasn't RAA business to get involved.

CASA did some checking and found quite a few aircraft unregistered/or numbers missing, so they made RAA do an Audit.

Horrific for many people who were out of the air with faults which extended beyond just the numbers; they were out of the air until they were fixed.

Then there were those whose aircraft were not compliant and couldn't be made compliant.

I tried to find out how many aircraft were knocked out of the sky, but never did find the total, but it wouldn't surprise me if a couple of hundred are still rusting away.

The pprune guy was a bit sad. Nev has it right. We have more fun than they do and so what else matters?

I am reminded of the story of this top-gun guy who bought a glider and entered the US nationals. On signing in, he asked what handicap he would have to carry , since he was clearly a better pilot than the rest.

After some days, he dropped out, never to be heard of again. He was running last at the time.

Now I thought this a sad story, he was probably a good  pilot in jets.

Seafarers don't seem to make this mistake, you don't hear of a liner captain thinking he would win a surfing competition.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jackc said:

I hear you Jack the good old days. Not a care in the world.

20180223_140920.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

5 hours ago, turboplanner said:

A few of us remember one of those with a similar outlook. 

Decided to to a beat up of some water skiers on a lake followed by the steep pull up; screwed it up and crashed into the water.

Had to be rescued by the ski boat and needed emergency services.

No problem with CASA or RAA; they couldn't find him if he wasn't registered and didn't have the old number on the side.

In fact I think someone suggested it wasn't RAA business to get involved.

CASA did some checking and found quite a few aircraft unregistered/or numbers missing, so they made RAA do an Audit.

Horrific for many people who were out of the air with faults which extended beyond just the numbers; they were out of the air until they were fixed.

Then there were those whose aircraft were not compliant and couldn't be made compliant.

I tried to find out how many aircraft were knocked out of the sky, but never did find the total, but it wouldn't surprise me if a couple of hundred are still rusting away.

EVERY day, a similar thing happens in cars. The World is a risky place to live in, without wanting to make trouble I am not sure sure RAA can’t do anything........the buck really stops with CASA?  

What interests me is WHY an aircraft cannot be made compliant at RAA level?   They told me I can stick my plane together with blue tack, being an amateur built aircraft?  Can RAA enforce regulations and apply penalties for non compliance?

As I have said before,  I think the whole aviation regulatory scheme is a mess, and the reason being is the bandaids that have been applied over the years.

Yeah I know......I keep thinking of FAR Part 103 but it’s document relating to requirements is two pages long.......

http://www.usppa.org/federal-aviation-regulations-for-paramotors/far-part-103-ultralight-vehicles/

WHY do we have such a complicated regime for Aviation at all levels in Australia?

5 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

I hear you Jack the good old days. Not a care in the world.

20180223_140920.jpg

An era I unfortunately missed, but would like to see back again, if only to stimulate low cost aviation and provide a stepping stone to bigger and greater things in Aviation.

Ya gotta start somewhere.......:-)

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, kasper said:

Beautiful little T85.  👍

I believe it was a T84A, short wing with no lower ribs. Bought it early in 85 had been with the dealer for some time, rotax 377.