ASIC AGAIN!!!

I would also suspect a level of political inertia - this is when a law becomes redundant, for whatever reason but remains in effect (even if not policed).

This is usually because;

• No polly wants to put their name, to removing a law, which due to unforeseen circumstance, suddenly becomes relevant, putting their career in jeopardy 
  • The fear of the opposition "beating it up" to make political mileage out of it.
  • The financial cost to undoing legislation.

What credit is there for any polly to support the overturn of a redundant law, that effects so few potential voters? (Risk V Gain)

Mainstream Pollys (the lowest form of human existence) do little if anything beyond what is politically expedient for themselves.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Mainstream Pollys (the lowest form of human existence) do little if anything beyond what is politically expedient for themselves.

After reading that I expect you probably would be a bit short on assistance.

• Haha 1

It's not fair or reasonable to put them all in the one basket.  It's not a job I would relish.   The bad ones give the rest a  bad name by promoting the view "everybody does it", when they are exposed.  Nev

• Agree 2

The problem is that quite a few of them don't work on the administrative problems that really need addressing, they're put in the "too-hard", or "don't rock the boat" files.

By far the single greatest problem facing Australian society is vast amounts of over-governance, bureaucracy and red tape. It needs a number of politicians dedicated to addressing the constantly-burgeoning level of "oversight" on everything you want to do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

AND Thats the problem with them,

Both Pollies & Bureaucrats,  do Not produce anything, it,s the opposite they only strangle Everything they can encompass. 

If the farmer starts making a Little more money,

He is soon engulfed in red tape & petty laws, to bring him to an exceptable level.

spacesailor

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, onetrack said:

The problem is that quite a few of them don't work on the administrative problems that really need addressing, they're put in the "too-hard", or "don't rock the boat" files.

By far the single greatest problem facing Australian society is vast amounts of over-governance, bureaucracy and red tape. It needs a number of politicians dedicated to addressing the constantly-burgeoning level of "oversight" on everything you want to do.

There are 2000 permanent employees in the Parliamentary precinct when Parliament is not sitting, 4000 when Parliament is sitting. 

22 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

There are 2000 permanent employees in the Parliamentary precinct when Parliament is not sitting, 4000 when Parliament is sitting. 

Parliament passes 90  Bills per year, not 2 per week but squeezed into sitting time.

Her Majesty’s Opposition is required to find out any weakness in any Bill ... on the run.

• Like 1

You have to be some kind of masochist to enter politics. Expected to be at every function run by any school, sporting club, ethnic group, etc, when there are things you would rather be doing. Blamed for anything that goes wrong, take some time for you and your family and you are failing your job, do anything for your electorate, like upgrading infrastructure, etc., and you are accused of pork-barreling. You can't win.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, red750 said:

You have to be some kind of masochist to enter politics. Expected to be at every function run by any school, sporting club, ethnic group, etc, when there are things you would rather be doing. Blamed for anything that goes wrong, take some time for you and your family and you are failing your job, do anything for your electorate, like upgrading infrastructure, etc., and you are accused of pork-barreling. You can't win.

I am willing to give most of the independents the benefit of the doubt but not the creatures that inhabit the main parties - psychopaths/god or god given complex, the lot of them.

I have no doubt there are some (probably independents) that have a strong ethical stance. I doubt this for the career poly in the two (libs/nates are 1) main parties. It is they who jump from policy to policy, have "core/non core promises", use the tax payers $ to buy votes and generally wrought the system. Recent instance; Poly accused of miss behaviour with  female colleague/employee - found (by totally independent investigation Ha!) to have nothing to answear for - aggrieved party paid off, to tune of $500K, tax payers dosh. Apparently that's all above board & reasonable - yeah!!! what would happen to you or I in similar circumstances???

3 hours ago, turboplanner said:

Yes, I've worked with a lot; many work until after midnight.

Yes but to who's benefit??

Humans are a weird bunch - we elect (inc. dictators) leaders who may have had the appropriate characteristics for the job, when we all had our knuckles dragging on the ground but our now completely unsuited to lead.

Back in the day it was to the tribes advantage to have a strong/brutal leader to protect them / win assets,/ etc. These are people who have an unshakable belief in their right to lead and us , the proletariat, to follow.

The very characteristics that may have been attractive in the stone age, compels these individuals to seek power (Check out The Trump/Putin/Erdoğan/Jonhson/Salman/ etc etc the list will be almost as long as the World nations - I would even speculate that the world religious leaders re in the same camp (possible exception being the Dalai Lama)

49 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

but not the creatures that inhabit the main parties

That's just the cynical response I would expect.

Our local member is a minister the the current cabinet. He has provided funds for:

FREE multi-storey carparks at a number of key railway stations in the electorate, completed or nearing completion,

Upgrades to a number of dangerous road intersections,

Upgrades to a number of local sporting facilities - football, cricket, netball clubs etc,

Grants to a number of Men's Sheds, etc. 

Yes, he's made a mistake or two - who hasn't? But the electorate is so much better for his efforts. Isn't that what he is supposed to do?

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone!

• Informative 1

We can only elect from the pol that puts themselves up for election and at the moment that is dominated by two parties, with a couple or so smaller parties and a few independents. Looking at the top positions in the influential countries it immediately becomes apparent that we are electing clowns.

Our own top bod is making a big show of getting the nuclear powered submarines organized with UK and USA. He doesn't mention that the whole fiasco would not have been necessary if his government had made the correct decision when they ordered the French subs.

The UK seems to be run by a clown, who has no moral standing. The USA is run by another clown who appears to be asleep at the wheel.

All three of the above are endorsed by their parties, which I suppose means that the parties consider them appropriate people for the job.

The present Labor leader was yhe minister responsible for aviation when the ASIC was brought in and the reply to my queries of him about it was completely useless. He just asked the bureaucrats for their take on it and sent that to me. His party will still get my vote as it stands at the moment, because the LNP is completely corrupt.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, red750 said:

That's just the cynical response I would expect.

Our local member is a minister the the current cabinet. He has provided funds for:

FREE multi-storey carparks at a number of key railway stations in the electorate, completed or nearing completion,

Upgrades to a number of dangerous road intersections,

Upgrades to a number of local sporting facilities - football, cricket, netball clubs etc,

Grants to a number of Men's Sheds, etc. 

Yes, he's made a mistake or two - who hasn't? But the electorate is so much better for his efforts. Isn't that what he is supposed to do?

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone!

I notice that you haven't listed anything to do with climate change, health or education, which I would put way above roads, sporting clubs and men's sheds in importance. 

No offence - but they're responsible for tackling the big problems, which they aren't doing.

• Agree 1

On 16/4/2022 at 8:30 AM, skippydiesel said:

(Passports) Poor choice of analogy? - The only similarity between passports & Red Cards is their mandate by the Australian Gov and their issue  by a bureaucracy. After this there is no similarity. Most people support the need for monitoring entry/exit to our country & accept the same for our entry to other countries. Not so the Red Card as applied to sport level pilots & minor RPT airports - Initial support has completely evaporated - Red Cards are are rarely inspected - the two year life span is ridiculous. Basically no one can see the point in containing with them EXCEPT  for that gelling concern/fear you might just get caught out & be charged with something??

"I can’t see RAA’s advocacy doing SFA". Unfortunately you are probably correct in this sentiment. That does not mean that RAA should step back from a position of opposition (on behalf of its members) on this matter and certainly they should not take up a pro Red Card position as it would appear they have, in publishing  BS articles in Sport Pilot.

"But sure, blame them if it makes you feel better."  RAA are supposed to be representing its members - in this matter who else would you have us blame??

"Maybe .................you should just stay away from airports that require them ..." When was the last time, you tried to go on an extended trip away and were unable to avoid landing  at some stage,  at an RPT served airfield?  Personally, most of my trips are short,  I do not often have to access a "security controlled"  field  but a few times per year I may go on a longer voyage - this is when I get concerned about not having a Red Card and question the legit massy of such a programmes existence. 

"......then they won’t be an issue."  - So you only appose  bad legislation on the basis of how it effects you personally ? 

And that was the exact analogy I was making in that it is imposed by the bureaucracy.

So here you are asking RAA to advocate against the ASIC whilst you accept it will likely do nothing. So does this mean you would prefer them focus on matters that will have zero impact versus those issues where they actually do come up with the goods? Like increased MTOW, advocating for ADSB funding, making sure the regulations CASA throws as us do not force us on the ground? Should I go on? It doesn’t make sense. They are on record for wanting better ASIC conditions (or none at all) and really, I can’t see what else more they can do without spending more time flogging this dead horse. Any btw, the airlines like them so whilst that’s the case, you won’t change. A. Thing. 

Dont get me wrong, there are many, many examples in this country where they make zero sense if you ask me. And yes, I do do extended trips where ASICS are required. And my home airport needs one too. It’s a massive inconvenience and I don’t personally think they do a great deal, but from what I gauged from the article in SportPilot with the terrorism expert, was that it was part of the toolkit they have. It’s not perfect, it won’t stop all terrorism events, but it is at least something. 

Clearly you have some issues with the ASIC, whether it’s skeletons in the closet and you can’t get one or simply a deep dislike for rules. Either way, I wish you luck with your crusade as it really will make little difference other than give you an ulcer. 

That ' new ' policy for those Lllong suffering diabetics, who now will get a permanent reading patch. Will still have to pay for their needles, while the self infected drug addicts get their FREE.

Pollies are gross.  ( almost swore  ). 

No l,m not a diabetic.

spacesailor

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Flying_higher said:

Any btw, the airlines like them so whilst that’s the case, you won’t change. A. Thing. 

Dont get me wrong, there are many, many examples in this country where they make zero sense if you ask me. And yes, I do do extended trips where ASICS are required. And my home airport needs one too. It’s a massive inconvenience and I don’t personally think they do a great deal, but from what I gauged from the article in SportPilot with the terrorism expert, was that it was part of the toolkit they have. It’s not perfect, it won’t stop all terrorism events, but it is at least something. 

Why do we need "something". Nothing is needed in the UK, Canada, USA, RSA, NZ the EU and anywhere else in the civilised world for Recreational Pilots. As stated previously it was a kneejerk reaction to 9/11 which then spawned an industry. RAA & CASA used to issue them. Now there are profit making organisations doing this, CASA & RAA can't issue them any more. What has the attitude of airlines regarding security got to do with Recreational GA & RA aviation?

When I fly in to Coffs or Ballina where there is considerable RPT I am not even going to try to go in to the passenger terminal. What would be the point when the aero club is there with all the facilities with no crowds but with friendly people who I can converse with. I am already there without an ASIC because they couldn't check whether I had one when I requested entry to the CTR. AND these are large regional hubs. What is the point of having ASICS at small regional aerodromes just because they have 2 or 3 RPTs a day. The whole process is a complete crock and never was anything but a crock. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

It's an indicator of how GA has been treated, nobody gives a sh!t. Federal gov not interested, rich people vote libs anyway and they can afford to fly their rich. CASA being the biggest impediment to flying, you have to be a lawyer to read anything they release. They are actively discouraging aviation, I don't know how people maintain an AOC these days.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Student Pilot said:

It's an indicator of how GA has been treated, nobody gives a sh!t. Federal gov not interested, rich people vote libs anyway and they can afford to fly their rich. CASA being the biggest impediment to flying, you have to be a lawyer to read anything they release. They are actively discouraging aviation, I don't know how people maintain an AOC these days.

Originally Terrorists were using Cessnas and ramming buildings. In the Melbourne area after those attacks people were bolting padlocks on the controls. It never made any sense to me to need a card when anyone could just walk around the end of a mesh fence but then again a shopowner last week got a knife wielding crook to flee by throwing custard at him.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

It was stated here that RAA and CASA used to provide ASIC cards but no longer do so.

When CASA stopped issuing them I phoned the issuing body who took over to find how mine was progressing. Guess what. The person ansering the phone said I had contacted CASA and how could she help.

Maybe CASA doesn't issue them, but it seems funny that their staff are involved. Could it be a name change? In which case it still does not smell of roses.

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Yenn said:

Maybe CASA doesn't issue them, but it seems funny that their staff are involved. Could it be a name change? In which case it still does not smell of roses.

Good luck if you can find anything to do with CASA that smells of roses, the stench of stifling over regulation, the stink of pilot persecution. No smell of roses......

• Like 1