ASIC AGAIN!!!

5 minutes ago, Student Pilot said:

Good luck if you can find anything to do with CASA that smells of roses, the stench of stifling over regulation, the stink of pilot persecution. No smell of roses......

I wonder how many private pilots have actually written requesting exemption, giving plausible reasons.

• Like 1

CASA states that anyone with a licence, should have an ASIC card. In other words, as a licenced pilot, you have the authority, to apply for an ASIC. Imagine my surprise when after doing my CPL flight review, I was told by the crowd issuing the ASIC, that my company, had to give me a letter, justifying why I need an ASIC!?? This was a problem, as my present employment actually doesn’t require me to have an ASIC. So, your licence suddenly is now not sufficient authorisation to have an ASIC!?? Yet, you could be asked and probably will be asked to produce your ASIC at a flight revue? There is a disconnect here between CASA and the people issuing ASIC’s and it suggests the system is broken.

• Like 3

I think the requirement for all licenced pilots (including students) is to have an AVID card. AFAIK the ASIC is only required for pilots who regularly fly into security controlled aerodromes. An AVID is issued by CASA, following a background security check.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Caution 1

There are a number of issues with the ASIC Card beyond their basic utility value. Their fundamental role was to reduce terrorism style attacks and it about as effective as requiring people to wear a T-shirt saying "I'm not a terrorist".

1. The card is only valid for a short period of time compared to other credentials. Passports are valid for 10 years and licences for 5.
  2. The cards are just bits of plastic and don't conform to baseline security standards compared to other Government or commercially endorsed identifiers no secure element, no machine readable component. They have a holograms however these aren't great security and can be forged relatively easily

If there's a requirement for security checks to be done, CASA should provide a proper electronic license rather than a paper based one which has a simple colour coded symbol affirming that you have undergone a security clearance and are suitable to have airside clearance. 

The real flaw in ASIC is the fact the crew of a foreign aircraft are exempt. So someone with a uniform and a cardboard ID is off the hook. Effectively the crew of a charter aircraft can wander around the airport while it's parked in the airport. So if someone chartered a foreign plane they could effectively claim that they don't need an ASIC as long as they were performing an operation. I think that the term half baked applies.

From the act, Aviation Transport Security Regulations 2005

3.05 Crew of foreign and state aircraft etc
Despite regulation 3.03, the following people need not display an ASIC in a secure area:
(a) a person who is a member of the crew of a foreign aircraft (other than a state aircraft) that is engaged in a regular public transport operation or a charter operation and who:
(i) is in the uniform of the aircraft operator; and
(ii) displays appropriate identification issued or authorised by the aircraft operator;

• Like 3

Just one more confirmation that these useless bits of plastic benefit only those who issue and charge a fee for them and the idiots in power who support them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

16 hours ago, Bill said:

I think the requirement for all licenced pilots (including students) is to have an AVID card. 

Cheers Bill, been out of professional flying since 2018, we always had ASICS.  Will go on the CASA site and check it out.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 440032 said:

One more time....................

ASIC has nothing to do with CASA. It's not their baby.

If memory serves me right it used to be CASA who issued them and so it was their baby, they have just handed it off so they can concentrate on new embuggarances. Who appoints someone as authorized to check an ASIC card? Is it the Dept of Infrastructure"?  Never been checked so not sure. 

(Thing is purposely designed to annoy people surely...for Veritas at least, "Original Birth Certificate" every 2 years. As if it has changed since the last 5 times i submitted it. Clowns along with Border Farce at airports."

Edited by extralite
  • Agree 1

ASIC has nothing to do with CASA.

Yes CASA just was for a time an "issuing body" - the same as numerous other players were and still are. I guess they decided it was even too hard or not worthwhile or BS for them to be involved with, so they got out of it totally.

ASIC was not invented by CASA. My point is, ASIC is one thing we cannot blame them for, not even 0.1%.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Did you know that a foreign passport is acceptable for the asic application, but an Australian one is not? We need to lodge and original birth certificate every 2 years.

Somewhere in Canberra is a bunch of shiny suited bureaucrats having meetings thinking they are doing an important job preventing terrorism by coming up with this rubbish.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, extralite said:

Somewhere in Canberra is a bunch of shiny suited bureaucrats having meetings thinking they are doing an important job preventing terrorism by coming up with this rubbish.

But can't you see they have prevented a terrorist attack with the ASIC!  No one has flown a plane into a building in Australia since the ASIC was introduced. The ASIC works! :stirrer:

Of course, we'll leave aside the fact that more people die on our roads every Christmas holiday period than have been killed by terrorists in Australia since Federation, and as a nation we're willing, indeed happy to accept 30-40 odd deaths each Christmas and over 1,000 every year for the convenience of the motor car.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...
On 13/04/2022 at 5:14 PM, skippydiesel said:

Sport Pilot/Mr Heath and RAA dont seem to get it - we the members are against ASIC/Red Card, as it has been applied to us. Rather than promote this discredited programme they should be actively working to see it closed.

We can't get rid of the ASIC card. How else will we know that workers in and on our international airports are peaceful, apolitical people whose only aim in life is to promote international trade to make people feel good?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 1

You wouldn't have to be the sharpest tool in the shed, as a baggage handler, to slip contraband into a Q flight cargo hold, and then pull it out and deliver it to a waiting car at the edge of the tarmac!

There would be so many cameras watching them at all times, they wouldn't even be able to scratch their goolies without someone knowing immediately, which side it was, that they'd scratched!

Then there's the massive AFP and Border Force Intelligence, which has acquired so much info from the ANOM app - plus the ability to listen in to phone conversations almost anywhere - as well as the number of undercover operatives within the drug gangs and motorcycle gangs!

Edited by onetrack

Just now, onetrack said:

... they wouldn't even be able to scratch their goolies without someone knowing immediately, which side it was, that they'd scratched!

Ah, but some cameras reverse the image.

• Like 1

There was a bit of a purge when I was flying through there and the AFP (then known as Commonwealth Police) said "You have  the Long Bay Old Boys Club here'   SYDNEY was always different. You don't trust anyone there..  Nev

• Informative 1

You're all not seeing the upside, just eat enough domestic terminal fast food at major airports for the asic discount to pay back! I think you also get discounts on money transfers too depending where you go. Just ask next time you're at the airport about their asic discount. 😀

• Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

Security is not a bad thing however it needs to actually add value, the current system does not.

I'd be happier if the ASIC card was a 5 year entity with self reporting at the same price.

I could see greater utility if ASIC cards were a contactless smartcards with a cryptographically attested photo, fingerprint, iris etc which can be read by an electronic device such as a phone. At least then forging would be difficult, and by the way this should be the job of the Federal Government not private firms. A card like this could actually ensure that air-side access auditable and relied on the credential.

The current cards can be forged a on low cost printer and the holographic stickers can be bought. Currently most airports are secured by a pin code which is written inside the gate, it rarely if ever changes.

• Informative 1

31 minutes ago, Ian said:

Security is not a bad thing however it needs to actually add value, the current system does not.

I'd be happier if the ASIC card was a 5 year entity with self reporting at the same price.

I could see greater utility if ASIC cards were a contactless smartcards with a cryptographically attested photo, fingerprint, iris etc which can be read by an electronic device such as a phone. At least then forging would be difficult, and by the way this should be the job of the Federal Government not private firms. A card like this could actually ensure that air-side access auditable and relied on the credential.

The current cards can be forged a on low cost printer and the holographic stickers can be bought. Currently most airports are secured by a pin code which is written inside the gate, it rarely if ever changes.

I agree with your first statement "Security is not a bad thing however it needs to actually add value, the current system does not."

I also agree, that the card itself, when/if required, should have some level of security/credibility.

I whole heartedly support the need for a EFECTIVE security system for international ports of entry/exit and perhaps for a very small number of very busy internal ports.

ASIC adds nothing except additional cost/annoyance for operators & users of the many small airfields jotted around our country - it is at best an unsubstantiated levy and worst a rort.

Having not done any away trips since Before Covid, I would be intersted to hear from more active flyers about the current state of play, regarding actual implementation of ASIC . My BC experience was that ASIC was not being observed (other than varying degrees of token security gates/fences) by any of the NSW RPT airfields I visited, including one where RPT had ceased to operate some years before but still listed as a Security Controlled Airport.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Informative 1

It is required at Coffs Harbour but in a sense not required.

First fly in & get permission to land (only when ATC operating), then taxi to the Aero Club, miles from the terminal. Exit to the clubhouse. Simple.

Then to leave ask someone for the code, start up & get ATC clearance (only when ATC operating) & go.

One of our members wife had to renew her ASIC. It took ages & then they decided her name was wrong. Eventaully after I don't know how many months it got renewed in her MAIDEN name. How stupid is that!!!!. Apparently because she got her PPL before she was married. Every other document she has is in her married name by virtue of the marriage certificate 20 years prior. Are these ASIC providers morons or idiots? Both I reckon, one and the same.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1