ASIC AGAIN!!!

"It's a good system. It keeps our skies and airfields safe from those that may wish to do us harm. It creates employment for those that may not otherwise have an opportunity to be a contributing member of society. It gives people a sense of confidence and purpose. And provides access to otherwise unknowable airside security gate codes."

You jest

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Area-51 said:

Not at all. I am totally impartial and neutral on the subject. If an aviator want to use the high security facilities then it requires the stipulated correlate high security Category C ID clearance

I cannot believe what I have just read!

I will compose a reply when my rage has dissipated!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, facthunter said:

It is an "access all areas" Category. I went on a maintenance hanger tour and didn't  have to be signed  in.  Nev

An ASIC holder also receives 10% discount at all food kiosks at all major Australian domestic and international terminals

• Haha 5

Why is ‘ID’ so important?  You need ID for contracts (so you know who to take to court for breaching the contract). I can’t see how the government knowing who they issue an ASIC card to makes a brass razoo difference to ‘safer skies’.  The only part of the ASIC process that might make a difference is the bit about providing a reason for having one.  Is it like the declaration you sign on the entry card to the USA that the purpose of your visit is not terrorism?…..I’m sure that really is an effective deterrent (sarcasm).

And it’s not a ‘high security’ vetting process.  I had a Top Secret clearance as I was routinely dealing with federal cabinet papers and preparing briefing for a Minister for each meeting.  That involves the spooks actually interviewing my associates, my GP etc etc etc.  And even then I was asked to explain why I hadn’t divulged my criminal convictions…which was easy as I didn’t have any…but according to the hapless AFP, I did.  I told them to provide the court details or shut up…they shut up.  Also I reported to the spooks when asked about a lower security clearance for one of my staff that I believed had an allegiance to a foreign power, regularly attending their High Commission etc, and that prior to my arrival thought nothing of accepting the loan of a Porsche motor car from the peak private industry association relevant to the Department I was in.  They still cleared him.  BTW, the fact that you already have a federal security clearance is irrelevant when applying for an ASIC.

As for providing jobs…ffs.  Yes, providing jobs is something governments can do, but surely the jobs should be doing good…. Like planting trees, running the railways or airlines and other sheltered work places.

In my view if ASIO is doing their job, they should be identifying potential threats (aviation or not) which the ASIC would not help, rather than us collectively expending significant amounts on the ASIC and the imposed burden on us flyers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 4

28 minutes ago, facthunter said:

People are allowed to have their own opinion. We still have silly people doing mad things on aeroplanes. It's not like the old days of having lots of  people up  the front. More's the pity.   Nev

NEV

I accept that Airline Crews need a high level of Security.

My issue is the private pilot who lands and just wants to go into town to support the community!

Why should they have to pay hundreds of dollars every 2 years for a Card they are never asked to show!

Surely a Pilots licence woukd suffice?

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

The whole system is bullshit. Your drivers licence provides sufficient ID for almost any thing else in the country except landing at some remote aerodrome that has decided it needs a security fence and ASIC clearance. What idiot came up with the ASIC requirement for my friends wife to renew it in he maiden name that she hasn't used for 20 years and every other bit of ID she has is in her married name.

The stupidity of the requirement and the process is highlighted by the letter below.

Dear Mr. Minister,

I ' m in the process of renewing my passport, and still cannot believe this.

How is it that K-Mart has my address and telephone number, and knows
that I bought a television set and golf clubs from them back in 1997,
and yet the Federal Government is still asking me where I was born
and on what date?

For Christ sakes, do you guys do this by hand?

My birth date you have in my Medicare information, and it is on all the income tax forms I've filed for the past 40 years. It is also on my driver ' s licence, on the last eight passports I've ever had, on all those stupid customs declaration forms I've had to fill out before being allowed off planes over the past 30 years. It's also on all those insufferable census forms that I've filled out every 5 years since 1966.

Also... would somebody please take note, once and for all, that my mother ' s name is Audrey, my father 's name is Jack, and I'd be absolutely ****ing astounded if that ever changed between now and when I drop dead!!!...

****! What do you people do with all this information we keep having to provide??

I apologise, Mr. Minister. But I'm really ****ed off this morning. Between you and me, I've had enough of all this bull****! You send the application to my house, then you ask me for my ****ing address!! What the hell is going on with your mob? Have you got a gang of mindless Neanderthal arseholes working there!

And another thing, look at my damn picture... Do I look like Bin Laden?
I can't even grow a beard for God's sakes. I just want to go to New Zealand and see my new granddaughter. (Yes, my son interbred with a Kiwi girl). And would someone please tell me, why would you give a **** whether or not I plan on visiting a farm in the next 15 days? In the unlikely event I ever got the urge to do something weird to a sheep or a horse, believe you me, I'd sure as hell not want to tell anyone!

Well, I have to go now, cause I have to go to the other end of the city, and get another ****ing copy of my birth certificate - and to part with another $80 for the privilege of accessing MY OWN INFORMATION!

Would it be so complicated to have all the services in the same spot, to assist in the issuance of a new passport on the same day??

Nooooo.. that'd be too ****ing easy and makes far too much sense. You would much prefer to have us running all over the place like chickens with our ****ing heads cut off, and then having to find some ' high-society ' wanker to confirm that it 's really me in the goddamn photo! You know the photo... the one where we're not allowed to smile?! .... you ****ing morons.

Signed - An Irate Australian Citizen.

P.S. Remember what I said above about the picture, and getting someone in ' high-society ' to confirm that it's me? Well, my family has been in this country since before 1850! In 1856, one of my forefathers took up arms with Peter Lalor. (You do remember the Eureka Stockade!!) 

I have also served in both the CMF and regular Army for something over 30 years (I went to Vietnam in 1967), and still have high security clearances. I'm also a personal friend of the president of the RSL... and Lt General Peter Cosgrove sends me a Christmas card each year.

However, your rules require that I have to get someone "important" to verify who I am; You know... someone like my doctor - WHO WAS BORN AND RAISED IN ****ING PAKISTAN !!!..... a country where they either assassinate or hang their ex-Prime Ministers - and are suspended from the Commonwealth for not having the "right sort of government".

You are all ****ing idiots!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Winner 2

Well, we can all bitch and moan about various government services not sharing your ID with each other,  but the simple fact is that we had a chance to get a national identity card in 1985 - but due to some legislative flaws and an opposition playing politics, it never happened. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

NO 

I refuse to use my driver's licence for a ' mock ' ID card. .

My wife And lots more have never taken that ' Bureaucratic ' driving test to get an I D card .

We both have a " photo Identification card " . As well as , I have a ' driving licence ' .

spacesailor

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

NO 

I refuse to use my driver's licence for a ' mock ' ID card. .

My wife And lots more have never taken that ' Bureaucratic ' driving test to get an I D card .

We both have a " photo Identification card " . As well as , I have a ' driving licence ' .

spacesailor

What if someone wants to know if you’re over 18.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I already have a Class 2 Medical and needed to get a Medical for an MR Licence. No, the Class 2 won't work, had to get a Drivers Medical.

Oh, and I need a DA, Drivers Authority so I can drive people around. I have an ASIC's card, you guessed it, that doesn't work either. So back into the pocket for more money. I'm losing interest fast.

• Like 1

But ... but ... but ...... The ASIC card is supposed to identify you as a verified person, who has no malicious intent at aviation facilities? So, if you have an ASIC card, CASA doesn't believe what it says? You couldn't make this up, "Yes Minister" would have a ball with this card scenario.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 1

Sir Humphrey would have no problem explaining it in one 500 word sentence so that no one would ever know what it was about. And actually no one does know anything about it, they just rake in the fees & move on to the next gullible victim.

• Like 3

But it is worse because the ASIC process is privatised. If you try now to abolish it, all the private corporate interests will act to protect their income streams…. you know, the ones with paid lobbyists who have access to ‘our’ representatives in Parliament House and a ‘Voice’, unlike actual citizens of the country.  It’s why we still have other completely useless industries like superannuation, retirement advisors, private health insurance, migration agents, and electricity prices skyrocketing despite the input cost of production massively falling.

KG, your letter to the minister was a joy to read. A similar minded bloke once wrote to my Minister but included a shovel and a $10 note. Telstra had been haranguing (harassing really) the citizen trying to get him to pay the telephone debt of his recently deceased son. The shovel was to to be given to Telstra so they could dig up the deceased to recover their money and the $10 note was to provide the Telstra employee responsible ‘grief counselling’.  I had the letter, shovel and $10 note set up in one of our art exhibition places in the foyer of the Dept until the Secretary had it removed…(the Minister loved it). The shovel should not be in archives and the $10 has been deposited in the Cth consolidated revenue fund but can’t be spent by the gov except for the purpose it was given to them for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is something inherently wrong (sick even) with a government system that does not have a sunset (lapse)clause on all legislation.

At/before the due date, it would be subject to (real) review, by independent committee . In order of preference, the outcome(s) being;

1. Off the statute books (we are well and truly over governed/burdened by a plethora of unfit for purpose legacy laws)
  2. Modification (tweaking/modernising to meet current situation) & reintroduction.
  3. Reintroduced without change

• Like 2

Skip, that is what the parliament is for, & why it is seperate from the PM and Ministers who form the executive arm of government which is normally referred to as just the govt. I think what you are suggesting is like the USA Federal system of government where the parliament (congress & senate) is truly seperate from the ‘executive’ arm (president & secretaries of state) of government. In our system of ‘Responsible government’, the executive (pm & ministers) are responsible for the actions of government according to legislation and the parliament is separately responsible for making and amending laws just like the USA, however our system requires the executive to be members of the parliament.  The theory is that in our system the executive (pm & ministers) are ‘responsible’ (meaning accountable) to the people through parliament.  This is meant to avoid stand off/conflict between the executive and the parliament like the Not infrequent government shutdowns they get in the USA.

Sunset clauses are not unheard of in our system. They are mostly in subordinate legislation like regulations, Ministerial decrees/determination and ‘orders’ where legislation allows these.  But what usually happens is they are just rubber stamped to roll-over.  Things won’t change until governments don’t have a majority in the parliament…. then our representatives will better apply their minds to legislation instead of just voting as the party whip tells them too…. Like in many European countries.