Any news on Wedderburn aircraft accident 26/12/22.

Released: 26 December 2022

The following statement can be attributed to ATSB Chief Commissioner Angus Mitchell:

“The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has commenced an investigation into a collision with terrain involving a foreign registered Glasair Super II aircraft near Appin, NSW which occurred shortly before 3.00pm on Monday.

“The aircraft came down in bushland in the vicinity of Appin Road, where on-site emergency services confirmed the two occupants on board were deceased.

"A team of transport safety investigators from the ATSB's Canberra and Brisbane offices are deploying to the accident site to commence the on-site phase of the investigation.

"The initial ATSB safety investigation will include an examination of the wreckage, assessment of aircraft and pilot records, weather information and any available recorded data.

"The ATSB’s evidence collection will define the size and scope of the investigation and determine the expected timeframe for the completion of a final report.

“The ATSB asks anyone who may have seen the aircraft in any phase of its flight, or who may have footage of any kind, to please make contact via our website - www.atsb.gov.au/witness 

"A report will be published at the completion of the investigation. However, should a critical safety issue be identified during the course of the investigation, the ATSB will immediately notify relevant parties."

// Ends

NOTE: The ATSB will not be providing any further statements in relation to this accident until the release of the preliminary report in about 6 - 8 weeks time.

• Informative 1

47 minutes ago, RFguy said:

not many options for EFATO at Wedderburn.... (not saying this was any cause) .

I would say almost nil - about 1.5 km of bush to the nearest open country. Loss of power on TO would have left the pilot with few options.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

6 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

I would say almost nil - about 1.5 km of bush to the nearest open country. Loss of power on TO would have left the pilot with few options.

It's not as if this factor hadn't been driven home. In July 2015 a Glasair VH Experimental according to witnesses was "flying due north , downwind leg. The engine surged twice and was then silent." They heard the aircraft collide with wooded terrain. The passenger died, the pilot was seriously injured. ATSB found the engine issue was possibly carb ice.

From google earth this airfield and surrounds looks very much like Katoomba, the circuit completely covered in trees where Rod Hay had an engine failure and was killed.

• Informative 1

I’ve flown from Wedderburn a few times , there are very few options when you experience a EFATO  . I also know it was a 34deg day and it was a tailwind departure , not a good set of circumstances .

• Informative 1

40 minutes ago, Country Flyer said:

These numnuts can't even get the date correct

23 minutes ago, 440032 said:

Had to give his press conference 10 days in advance, before closing for the holidays.

Well if we are nit picking the gentleman was from the ATSB.

Interesting he said 2022 was one of the worst years for fatals with 23 to date.

He may have included RA, but even if he did, and even considering people have been non-current and the aircraft coming from a couple of years of storage, RA fatals are still down on previous years before Covid.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, 440032 said:

Had to give his press conference 10 days in advance, before closing for the holidays.

Wtf. He is giving a press conference on Mondays crash. The date underneath is December 17. How is that nitpicking turbo . I must be reading it wrong but it looks like a 17 to me. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BrendAn said:

Wtf. He is giving a press conference on Mondays crash. The date underneath is December 17. How is that nitpicking turbo . I must be reading it wrong but it looks like a 17 to me. 

Well equally how could anyone think the US authorities would be investigating the accident. Some people make unintentional mistakes.

• Informative 1