Student seat in aircraft

I would like to know if it is mandatory to sit in the left seat while learning. It feels right in a jabiru because I am right handed. However the last few hours I have trained in a technam and I really don't like the left seat. I have to use my right hand for throttle and my left on the joystick, that combined with the laid back Seating makes it very hard for me to get comfortable and be confident compared to the jabiru. Backrest can be fixed with a cushion but doesn't help my arms. 

I can understand being forced to fly like this if I was young and had a future of flying different aircraft but I will only be flying an xair and jabiru in the local area.

Edited by BrendAn
  • Informative 1

Most side by side fixed wing aircraft are designed to be flown  from the left seat. It's also more suited for the PREFERRED LEFT Circuit  Whoever is doing your training will have the last say there. Being a bit adaptable is no hindrance..  Nev

• Like 3

I’m right handed but learned to fly at 59 in the left seat with left hand on the stick/yoke. It felt quite natural from day one and I’d be hesitant to fly right seat now, although I think I’d soon get used to that too if I had to.

• Like 3

"Back in the day" moving from one car to another, involved relearning the gear pattern, mirror location, switch positions, possibly the instrument layout, etc. Cars are more standardised now, although Europeans cars will still catch out.

RAA class aircraft are a bit the same as were  cars - not a lot of standardisation. Most pilots will go through a bit of "discomfort" as they adapt to a new aircraft.

My last aircraft was set up so that the left seat pilot did not need to move his/her left hand from the stick ie all other controls were easily accessible/operated by the right hand. My new aircraft is almost totally the opposite. Almost in that it has not been layed out with the same ergonomic consideration so there are times when I must "swap" hands on the stick to operate other systems - I'm almost initiative now but its taken a while.

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Like 1

ALL handed People use two hands on a Piano Keyboard. I'm Profoundly RH but you change from L to R all the time when you're training/ flying solo .  Signing my signature left handed would be interesting.  Nev

• Like 1

Hi Brendan,

I wouldn't worry about it.

My first plane, which I flew for about 5 years, was right hand on throttle, left on stick, but my current one is the opposite. It took very little time to get used to it (and I am in my sixties!)

In fact as I drive a manual car I find it takes longer to get used to driving an automatic - my left foot nearly punches a hole in the floor!

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

What they all said. I learned on a Jab with a centre stick, and it became a problem when I got to cross country because I wanted to write with my right hand, and had to fly with it too. Getting into the Tecnam with dual sticks was such a relief because I could fly either hand depending on the requirements. 

• Like 3

I don't think there is anything in regulations regarding the seating. If you are flying solo and your aircraft doesn't have operational restrictions (e.g. in some aircrafts PIC has to seat front/rear due to CoG, controls, instruments, etc...)

However, if you are flying dual from RH seat and a non-pilot is sitting on LH side, that could be seen as instructing without instructors rating.

• Like 1

All good comments. Nev I forgot about circuits . It would take more effort to clear lh turns . I think I got spoilt in the jabiru because I find it so intuitive compared to the technam. Instructor is going north for the winter soon so I will have to go to Traralgon or Tyabb but they all seem to using technams or foxbats for training now. So I guess I just have to get used to it . 

• Like 1

BrenDan I did part of my training in Technam P2002s, they had a centre throttle and one on the left side.
(I flew on the left, but tended to use the centre throttle, as it was next to the trim switch, though trim may have moved to stick top buttons now. Then I built, during which I flew very little, and had to swap hands once the Savannah was finished.)
So you may find Technams out there with a LH throttle, maybe make a few calls?

Edited by IBob
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, SSCBD said:

And the answer is ?

I think the answer is do what the instructor wants but right or left seat is not mandatory, just accepted that students sit on the left. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

The instrument presentation is often only "acceptable" when sitting in the LHS. A full IFR panel is comprehensive both sides (and expensive to keep legal). Often the Instructor gets a pretty raw deal in what can be seen but they are supposed to be pretty competent  and actually prove it occasionally.   Nev

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Like rmgwa, I am righthanded, but learnt to fly in a Musketeer (left seat, left hand on yoke, right for throttle, mixture, flaps, etc) then moved to Warrior (same), Arrow (same), Bonanza (same). It took a bit of getting used to centre stick, left hand throttle when I flew the Victa Airtourer.

• Like 1

When I was training we had monthly competitions. One was to fly from the right seat so hands are swapped and there were different manoeuvres required. The first time I remember completely f**king it up when I pulled the yoke instead of power. It was a rude shock to have the nose pointing straight up. I,ve never had a problem since, yoke or stick left or right.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

When I was training we had monthly competitions. One was to fly from the right seat so hands are swapped and there were different manoeuvres required. The first time I remember completely f**king it up when I pulled the yoke instead of power. It was a rude shock to have the nose pointing straight up. I,ve never had a problem since, yoke or stick left or right.

Not a bad idea

My experience is similar to Neil_S

Got my RPC in a Jab160, right Stick, left throttle and bought a low wing plane with centre throttle and dual sticks. So sitting in the left seat, everything is opposite to what I learnt in.

I was concerned that it might take some time to transition, but was surprised at how natural it came.

The hardest thing was the vernier throttle, and remembering to push the button.

• Like 1

IF you get TOO accustomed to the one plane, you are flying by familiarity rather than deliberately. You're not putting much effort into it and have gotten too comfortable and lazy.  People who fly multiple types in a day couldn't get away with that.   Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

7 minutes ago, facthunter said:

IF you get TOO accustomed to the one plane, you are flying by familiarity rather than deliberately. You're not putting much effort into it and have gotten too comfortable and lazy.  People who fly multiple types in a day couldn't get away with that.   Nev

I won't be flying different planes. It's a bit hard to avoid what you suggest when you are an ultralight flyer with your own plane.

• Informative 1

I had been flying my Kitfox for more than 10 years when I purchased my Foxbat. The throttle is in the opposite hand as were the joysticks.  Further the Kitfox was a taildragger with differential toe brakes compared to the Foxbat with the training wheel up front and central hand operated brakes. 
The transition required real concentration for a few landings but soon became acceptable.  Good for the brain to move out of your comfort zone I think.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1