Crash at Boonah Golf Course 14/01/2024

41 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

If 04 is the active runway you take off on 04.

Not sure who is being obtuse, you or me? The comment said they took off on 04 and crashed 1500 metres in a straight line from 04! Not my comment! Turboplanners comment!

10 hours ago, derekliston said:

Not sure who is being obtuse, you or me? The comment said they took off on 04 and crashed 1500 metres in a straight line from 04! Not my comment! Turboplanners comment!

If you go back 3 posts you'll see I was responding to Jabiru whose question was "What what what?

Blue Skies from Boonah on Sunday said the operating runway was 04

I checked the distance from the end of 04 to the Golf Club gate at 1500 metres.

If you go back one post, Blueadventures quotes Bush Flyers Downunder saying a Touch and Go occurred just before the incident and there is some Flight Aware data, not confirmed.

2 hours ago, turboplanner said:

If you go back 3 posts you'll see I was responding to Jabiru whose question was "What what what?

Blue Skies from Boonah on Sunday said the operating runway was 04

I checked the distance from the end of 04 to the Golf Club gate at 1500 metres.

If you go back one post, Blueadventures quotes Bush Flyers Downunder saying a Touch and Go occurred just before the incident and there is some Flight Aware data, not confirmed.

Which is why I suspect engine failure impossible turn scenario although I would dearly love to be proven wrong!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, F10 said:

Yes, in a fully developed spin, moments of inertia in roll pitch and yaw, may have built up to an extent ..... I should have mentioned there are moment of inertia differences in an incipient and fully developed spin.

Not really, moment of inertia is simply a property of mass and geometry of the aeroplane.

Don't know the Decathlon, but I find it interesting the spin flattens. Should only occur with power on.

My statement was: "I can get the usually docile Decathlon to snap into a spin with little warning and be in an established, flattening spin extremely quickly ..." yes, with power and aileron - typical scenario for an unintentional spin. I wasn't referring to the normal practice spins with power off and neutral aileron.

There is more that I'd like to discuss so I will commence another thread for this.

• Like 6
  • Informative 1

I don't think this is speculating as such. More like pilots discussing a terrible accident to try make some sense of it. Of course if people comment on the pilots actions or make statements about the accident in a "This is what must have happened", then that would be speculating. Anyhow, some interesting conversations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Why does no-one check the winds that day at nearby locations to see which way the wind was blowing, in line with how the winds were blowing pretty much every day that week... and see the truth of which runway they were using the day. That should clear up if they were taking off or landing and provide good evidence as to whether they were on finals descent or in the take-off climb.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Recpilot said:

Why does no-one check the winds that day at nearby locations to see which way the wind was blowing, in line with how the winds were blowing pretty much every day that week... and see the truth of which runway they were using the day. That should clear up if they were taking off or landing and provide good evidence as to whether they were on finals descent or in the take-off climb.

Or, ask a witness !   Plenty of people playing golf

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

I dont think we should cease guessing/ evaluating.  Remember two experienced pilots.....If control surface control failure can be eliminated, 

---Only a stuck control surface control is my thought.  spanner stuck in the elevator or roll control etc ?  

if it is not that, I a,  guessing the flying pilot had a medical episode while the other pilot was looking out the window looking at something else, and then things got slow and the aircraft  was too slow, too low and now  too late to do anything about it. What else is plausible ????

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steve L said:

Runaway trim

Well this wouldn't be the first time an experienced instructor went down in a student's aircraft as a result of a mechanical fault.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 23/01/2024 at 7:03 AM, landrover said:

Please guys respect the topic  

this was about fatal plane crash at Boonah 

The forum should of been about condolences and leaning.

start a another topic if you are lonely and want to talk about  shit 

💯

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Steve L said:

Runaway trim

When that happens the trim actuator, if found in the wreckage is usually robust enough to show the position it finished up in, so seriously out of trim is obvious.

I couldn't find a Technam photo but this one's just good enough to show us the screw which is spun by the motor and a "nut" equivalent which slides along the screw, like a nut moving along a bolt. When the power is cut by the crash the nut stops moving.xtrim.thumb.jpg.e7103f86d07b2a1dafc2381f927f6c16.jpg

yes, that is a dynon servo which is a crude but effective device- a stepper motor and a gearbox. .

that looks more like part of an autopilot than a control system trim servo, but could be. 

Stepper motors have high inherent torque and dont need much gear reduction to get the required torque (for this application).

turbs illustration post is a  screw jack -   (or lead screws) are generally run at high ratio with high speed small motors  and there is significant resistance to the screw jack moving when force is applied to the actuator  tends to impose high friction forces dependin gon the construction (screw thread - acme screw jack) or reciprocating ball screw.   A screw jack reduction ratio is  the force application circumference  divided by the screw pitch 

Edited by RFguy

Auto pilots have extra risks associated with their correct use and design that should be taught before you get let loose with one. . The C/S prop is usually not covered well either.. Nev

7 hours ago, pmccarthy said:

Tecnam trim servo

4DBC6810-F1ED-436A-B599-C074AE85BB78.jpeg

That’s nothing like my eaglet. I’ll take a pic of mine on the weekend

• Like 1

I attended the funeral of Dave today. Some very moving eulogies from family and friends. Was wonderful to hear things about him he didn't feel the need to mention, like doing humanitarian work in Kurdistan in the 1990's, or teaching vocational skills in the prison system. 

He is missed by many people.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1