Crash at Boonah Golf Course 14/01/2024

Here's a link to the Channel 7 News that works .....

https://7news.com.au/news/emergency-response-as-light-plane-crashes-near-boonah-in-gold-coast-hinterland-c-13217187

Both pilot and passenger are reported to be in "critical condition" with life-threatening injuries.

Edited by onetrack
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, danny_galaga said:

This may be the very one

If it is, it has been repainted. The black gryphon on the tail has been replaced by the Southern Cross.

• Informative 1

A full flap stall in a p92 scares hell out of me. The left wing drops so fast , if you were near the ground you would have to recover it pretty quick  . Not that I have much experience yet. 

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, Methusala said:

Technams seem to be built very lightly. Not a lot of structure around the crew. Compromises must be made to build a 'very light Cessna'.

The bang into the ground for a stall on the final turn will destroy a Cessna or anything else just as effectively; would be interesting for someone to calculate the kinetic energy. Plenty of photos on ATSB, NTSB

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

This accident hits close to home for me. One of the deceased is Dave Briffa, an instructor. I talked to him the day before. I was going to go for a fly with him because the wind was a bit tricky and I hadn't flown for a little while. I didn't end up flying though. I was also going to have some tail dragger refresher flights in that P92 once it was online.

He was a good person and a great instructor. We always joked about how long it was taking me to build my plane. He almost always had a smile and was always interested to know what was going on with you. It's going to be strange for me to not see him at the hangar. 

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 4