Prince Harry honoured as aviation legend.

I read on another site how much opposition there is to this. He is not an aviation legend he was a helicopter pilot in the British Army. It really devalues the awards when there are token people like this added to the list of recipients. They are also very much against a lady that got nominated who apparently was only nominated because she is Jeff Baizos (spelling) girlfriend and has very little to do with aviation in the first place.  ANN  has a lot of information and comments about the living legends of aviation awards this year.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

A legend in his own bathtime. Born into privilege and displays all the "entitled" attitude to privilege. And led along by one of the worlds most manipulative actresses, who thought she would get a privileged royal position by roping in a prince with the furry lariat. Who recalls his Dad almost writing off the BAE146 because he thought he knew how to fly better than any commoner Captain? Then the investigators turned around and blamed the Captain for letting him land it!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Being a British Royal he would have been more targeted as a Propaganda Kill. where he operated in a WAR. Harry gets a rough time I reckon. The Murdoch press NEVER let up on him so on the basis THEY are never right and have always attacked ROYALS, I'd cut Harry some slack  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

Gee, that's a very generous attitude towards the Royals, from the forum resident Leftie, Nev! My argument is that the instructions from the Establishment, to Harrys superiors in the Forces, would be that they were to NEVER place him in a situation of high risk when in uniform, or their careers would be at an end. Meantimes, the rest of us plebs always simply had to run the gauntlet of ambushes, snipers, booby traps, mines, mortars, and artillery fire. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Anyone can be an Aviation Legend; there are no boundaries. All one has to do is walk to the front of any moving vessel and lean forward into the wind with arms outstretched to the side. Stretching one's arms out forward is indicative of Superhero Legend... some background music bolsters sentiment. 

• Haha 4

To me a helicopter is a very vulnerable piece of machinery in war It's slow, not armour plated, very vulnerable  easily disabled and complex mechanically.   They couldn't efectively shieldhim without the whole thing being very obvious. I only mentioned Royals in the context of the treatment by Murdochs media. THEY (the Royal "FAMILY") don't treat Harry Well and he wants away from them quite understandably.  I'm Undercover OT. I actually believe in private enterprise but ALL thing s need scrutiny, even the churches, but especially  a PM who poses with Flags in the background and someone in uniform at his side, by order...  Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Agree 1

Royals may be born in to privilege but for the most part they work pretty hard and mostly for charitable organisations. Harry did pretty well setting up the Invictus games for disabled military veterans of all nations. His downfall IMHO was falling for an American B grade actress who manipulated him and was never going to fit in with the rest of the RF so she threw more hissy fits than you could count & conned Harry all the way in to the American way of publicity and fame by all and any means.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

He is the ONE to decide if she's right for him. Don't you think they have been extremely Racist towards the Pair. If I was Harry I wouldn't want it either, but the Media never leave them alone and HOW would you have a clue what She's really like? . Opinions are shaped by the opinion MAKERS.  Nev

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1

When it comes to the Royals I am terribly conflicted. Very much a die hard republican - could  care less about the lot BUT when it comes to what sort of head of state we should have, I think a constitutional (relativly powerless) monarchy is much better than most presidential systems.

Note: I saide most  as there are excellent examples of a presidential (also relativly powerless) systems  around the World.

The risk with a president is that he/she, if appointed by public/popular vote,  could seek to overthrow the State (Trump?)

I didn't have a problem with Queen Elizabeth and the monarchy in her day, she carried herself well, and the vast majority of the Commonwealth supported her. Even during WW2, she elected to become a driver/mechanic, and got her hands dirty. She could have selected an honorary senior officer position and ponced around like a hero, but she chose to do the same ordinary job as many ordinary people did.

However, I object to the huge "train" of hangers-on associated with the monarchy, and their largely idle lives with unearned income from many inherited assets. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, onetrack said:

I didn't have a problem with Queen Elizabeth and the monarchy in her day, she carried herself well, and the vast majority of the Commonwealth supported her. Even during WW2, she elected to become a driver/mechanic, and got her hands dirty. She could have selected an honorary senior officer position and ponced around like a hero, but she chose to do the same ordinary job as many ordinary people did.

However, I object to the huge "train" of hangers-on associated with the monarchy, and their largely idle lives with unearned income from many inherited assets. 

The Queen also spent a loy of time keeping the Commonwealth together effectively as a voluntary "family" which gave the member countries some bloc voting advantages at times, some political advantages and some tradling benefits.

The train of hangers-on wouldn't be there if it wasn't for the fact that, primarily, the UK people want to see them. It tends to weld the people together as against other Nations where more than half the people are against the government because only a few have to vote, so there are some pluses.

The comments generally about Meghan show that not too many people actually spend a few minutes doing research.

Meghan Markle spent from 2011-2018 not as a B Grade actor, but in an award winning series called "Suits" about a New York law office.

When she married Harry the whole cast of Suits were invited to the wedding and attended, which says something for their feelings for her, because that was the end for Suits within 12 months. 

• Informative 4

The Oxford Reference Dictionary’s entry for “Legend”: A traditional story sometimes popularly regarded as historical but not authenticated. 

On that basis he likely qualifies, although I’m now going to look up “Popularly”.

Move along please folks, there’s nothing to see here. 

• Agree 2

12 hours ago, turboplanner said:

Meghan Markle spent from 2011-2018 not as a B Grade actor, but in an award winning series called "Suits" about a New York law office.

When she married Harry the whole cast of Suits were invited to the wedding and attended, which says something for their feelings for her, because that was the end for Suits within 12 months. 

Suits was an American soap opera. The dialogue is fast and pleasing to the ear, the plots are engaging without being too complex and the people are pretty and they have pretty people problems. Aimed at an American Audience that don't want to actually think about anything but look at lawyers that always win and have a lifestyle that they will never get to emulate.

John Travolta nominated Prince Harry for the award which is just another Hollywood extravaganza among many others.

The awards night was also attended by Lauren Sanchez, Jeff Bezos’s fiancée, who received the Elling Halvorson Vertical Flight Hall of Fame Award for her founding of an aerial film and production company.

Prince Harry joins other celebrity recipients of the award, including Bezos, Tom Cruise, Harrison Ford, Morgan Freeman, and Elon Musk.

However, the award has also caused some controversy among military figures. Admiral Lord West, a former First Sea Lord, said: “He is not a living legend. There are lots of people who deserve to be called this but not Prince Harry.“ I find it extraordinary he has been picked. He didn’t carry off any great exciting feat of amazing flying skill while flying for the Army.”

Col Richard Kemp, a retired British Army officer, said the ceremony was about “celebrities massaging each other’s egos”.

The ceremony in Beverly Hills is hosted annually, and costs up to US$1600 (NZ$2600) for a table of six guests. A ticket to the after party is US$600 (NZ$980). You can become a legend for having money and forming a film and production company. Pathetic.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Flying Military Helicopters makes anyone a Legend in my opinion.

True, therefore they should all be honoured with it, not just the ones who've starred in movies or born into the house of Windsor.

• Like 1

Im not sure with Harry,

I would think William is more deserving of the award for the work he did with flying medivac choppers. donating the wage to charity.

But Harry as a person - 

well at some point you have to give up your extended family to focus on your own family - which is what I think he did.
he had a kid and a wife. regardless of if the royal life was toxic, I think in his eyes he put his family first and didn't want to break that up.
he gets some respect for that.

the media stuff - I don't know, I guess it was a way to fund a lifestyle without any other income

and well his "Royal duty" was over once William had his son 

be interesting to see the Royals survive going forward.
William and Kate could keep it going - but will it survive in relevance till then.

I can understand any  "thinking " person not wanting to be involved in that rather racist and nasty Royal Family situation. He's still more of a  security risk because of who he is and is constantly treated like $#!t by the Media as it makes money for them..   Nev

• Informative 1

On 20/01/2024 at 2:05 PM, Area-51 said:

Anyone can be an Aviation Legend; there are no boundaries. All one has to do is walk to the front of any moving vessel and lean forward into the wind with arms outstretched to the side. Stretching one's arms out forward is indicative of Superhero Legend... some background music bolsters sentiment. 

Does 4 circuits in a tecnam count.

A nice polished trophy would be good. 😁

• Like 1