Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Marian (West of Mackay Queensland) a local flight that was my first in the newly completed and signed off Nynja. 5 to 10 knots from the easterly direction. Plane was just right, trimmed for level straight flight, visted the closeby sights and landed 09. Looking forward to next flights and seeing 20 hours on the a/f hobbs; (only has 5 landings, 2.3 hours on airframe and 3.5 on engine hobbs) as then I can go further afield.Will post some local area images when I can get some on a future flight.

Cheers

Mike

Did the second flight in the Nynja this morning in the training area around Marian west of Mackay. 1.4 hours and all going great will repeat tomorrow. Not a big area so just cruising slowly in the good morning air.

Cheers

Mike

P1090060.JPG.627d9efad929a3df8766224aea75ecfa.JPG

P1090014.JPG.9d22c3baa7bd7508d470e3ec1f90e587.JPG

P1090036.JPG.fd0457a86e37d49f97c8a63e1130b053.JPG

P1090045.JPG.b6b23f2d50f638cfd6e4d93fade9ea4f.JPG

• Like 5

After some minor maintenance (teething troubles) We got a short flight in the Legend to try out the new camera mounts (not so successful) and to make sure all the things we worked on are working properly (they are) and generally just learn how to fly and land our new baby.

• Like 9

Look at those unsightly windmills, a scar on the earth. 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

I've actually gotten used to them. I suppose it helps that I can't hear them when I'm up in the air, and I don't live near any!!

More fun when its turbulent :)

Maybe more fun for some poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

I've actually gotten used to them. I suppose it helps that I can't hear them when I'm up in the air, and I don't live near any!!

Maybe more fun for some poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

The windmills make good landmarks for aviators.

We just have to make sure that they don't build too many of them ...or perhaps paint different windmills in different colours in different locations?

• Like 2

After some minor maintenance (teething troubles) We got a short flight in the Legend to try out the new camera mounts (not so successful) and to make sure all the things we worked on are working properly (they are) and generally just learn how to fly and land our new baby.

Scot, that is one of the best 'home' videos I've ever seen. Clear sound and images, well edited and no bloody annoying music to spoil the flight. Well done.

Apart from a bit of picture 'wobble' I didn't notice any problems with your camera set-up.

Best train your wife not to speak when you're on the radio though.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Scot, that is one of the best 'home' videos I've ever seen. Clear sound and images, well edited and no bloody annoying music to spoil the flight. Well done.Apart from a bit of picture 'wobble' I didn't notice any problems with your camera set-up.

Best train your wife not to speak when you're on the radio though.

Thanks for sharing.

Doug:

Picture wobble: Yep, that was the problem with the camera mounts. They're not rigid enough. Thanks for your positive comments though.

Did the second flight in the Nynja this morning in the training area around Marian west of Mackay. 1.4 hours and all going great will repeat tomorrow. Not a big area so just cruising slowly in the good morning air.Cheers

Mike

Did another flight this morning but not as good a conditions as yesterday. Had an ugly NW wind that was freshening that made the air very bumpy; so now only 4.5 hours on her 20.5 to go. No flying tomorrow:(

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

I like your Grob type glider canopy window openings; they are great to get clear camera images through.

Liked the video, thanks and cheers. Mike

• Like 1

Our club at Port Macquarie had a fly and spy with about 45 questions ......fantastic event , i highly recomend this type of event for any clubs...

The best fun was listening to peoples strange logic and lack of logic when they came back and discussed answers...

• Like 1

Had a little Sunday afternoon fly with the kids today. It was a bit bumpy with gusty winds and a few isolated stormy clouds but was really enjoyable. Mum took a pic of the little fella but missed out on the little princess as she got to go first today.

image.jpg.2bfb080bb38f4029a2b30986b5f9ccd6.jpg

• Like 6

Had a little Sunday afternoon fly with the kids today. It was a bit bumpy with gusty winds and a few isolated stormy clouds but was really enjoyable. Mum took a pic of the little fella but missed out on the little princess as she got to go first today.[ATTACH=full]38964[/ATTACH]

Hows the view from down there...i hope he had big side windows

Hows the view from down there...i hope he had big side windows

Poor visibility has never been a problem that the hornet is encumbered with:thumb up:. The door is fully clear and comes below his seat so even the littlies have an unencumbered view. I flew with my door off but am not game enough to let them have no door yet:no:

Yesterday morning the weather was perfect so, in company with several other Quirindi Aero Club aircraft I finally got to cross the Liverpool Range to join Scone Aero Club's flight to Elleston Station.

After a briefing about the route up the valley, the approach procedures and altitudes to use, pilots and passengers climbed into 19 planes and got started. To avoid traffic congestion at the another end, we were dispatched fastest first, 3min apart. My engine sure had time to properly warm up before takeoff!

After climbing out over the town we had to climb over hills and then follow the river up to Moonan Flat before turning onto the 5-mile leg to a local ag strip. The approach was tight due to some high ridges: drop in over power lines and land uphill. We parked in a neat line and had morning tea under a shelter set up by Scone Aero Club, with Elleston RFS on hand in case of mishaps.

Two buses took us to Elleston where security took us on a tour of the amazing facilities. Back at the main clubhouse, before lunch we met a bloke holding a small bundle: two tiny Tasmanian Devil babies. In order to save the species from the terrible Facial Tumour Disease, healthy Devils are bred in a 200 hectare facility donated by the Packer family. Over a hundred have been bred and several reintroduced to a special disease-free area back in Tasmania.

After a great lunch we were bussed back to the strip and aircraft took turns to taxi up to the top of the strip. Taking off downhill was a new experience. Pilots all headed off into the afternoon turbulence for the trip back to YSCO, where we tied down our aircraft. With flying over for the day, we had a beer or twelve, a great formal dinner for 65 in the hangar and entertainment by a band. It was great to catch up with so many fliers and get to know people with a lifetime of aviation experience. I learned heaps.

Visiting pilots stayed overnight, some upstairs in the new club facilities.

After a BBQ breakfast we all headed home. This morning's crossing of the range was not smooth like Saturday morning's. Northerly air spilling over the divide gave us a real roller coaster ride until we got over the top.

It's awesome to fly along in company with other planes, keeping them in sight on OzRunways and keeping in tough by radio. We are so lucky to be able follow our dreams.

• Like 6

Last flight was third solo.

Had circuit traffic to add to the excitement and was great fun watching another land while I was on downwind.

3 hours solo in the log book now!

I keep forgetting to film the flight... next time!

• Like 4

Monday morning I got to fly up to a property 70 Ks west of Moree to help dad do a little contract harvesting. I got going at around 6:30 (later than I wanted but that's always the case:cool:), the forecast looked unfavourable with 20 knots from the NW (which was the direction I wanted to go:thumb down:) and not long after I took off I found that headwind. On the ground it had been calm but at 1000agl it was blowing 15 knots so I went back down to 500 agl and was happy to see my groundspeed and wind speed reading the same:thumb up:. So I stayed at 500 all the way past gunnedah, past boggabri and it wasn't until I was around 15 miles off Narrabri that the wind found me down there, I also got the urge for a nature stop so I climbed to circuit height and headed for Narrabri. The windsock seemed to be stuck horizontally but was lined up perfectly for a landing on 36 so I joined crosswind and had a near vertical final leg and a not too bad a landing. Taxiing was fun, with my airspeed indicating 20knots even though I was going nowhere, I kept my tail up and nose pinned to avoid taking off unintentionally and headed for the parking area (I kept the tHe tail down once off the runway!). After a quick break and a hello to some pilots (instructor and student I think) I was ready to go again. It was nearly a vertical takeoff and was unpleasantly bumpy on climb until I went through 3000amsl where it smoothed out and settled down. So it was an uneventful albeit steady flight at 4500 to the property where I did a quick recon and landed in the paddock they were harvesting in.

Knowing the forecast was for storms I tied down the hornet with care and ensured I had a good few pulls at the tie downs to double check they were solid:nod:. And storm it did, after nearly a days worth of work at around fivish the wind came with a vengeance. I don't know what it got to but I was sitting in the header when it hit and it felt like it was going to flip, so I reckon that 80-90ks wouldn't have been far off the mark. So not being able to see the plane from where we were I was 038_sweat.gif.5ddb17f3860bd9c6d8a993bf4039f100.gif A bit concerned about how successful my tie downs would be but after the storm went through it was still all there so I was very happy:thumb up:.

I had planned on staying up there until Wednesday but with the rain not much was happening today so I decided to fly back home this morning. Dad wanted to have a 'lookaround' flight so I left my gear in his ute and loaded him in to start with, it was muddy taking off from the paddock and I made it worse by backtracking to takeoff into the wind that seemed to be uncommonly strong for half past six in the morning but we got there and had a nice little flight. When we came back I landed on a nice little stretch of gravel which while a little wet didn't stick to the tires and make a mess:spot on:. So with dad out and gear in off I headed home and this time the wind was pushing my rudder:thumb up: So I got home in well under 2 hours instead of the 2 and a half of the morning before.

This pic shows the homestead and the paddock I landed in was the one on the left.

image.jpg.836d8a6840a3a248d27fdd3e0f22cc8a.jpg

The kiddies knew I was coming home and were out watching for me. Yes I have a job to do getting that mud off of under the wings:whistling: It was muddy at home too and you can see even the gravel is sticking to the wheels here so no more flying today, although the wind is blowing a gale now so it's not even tempting:no way:

image.jpg.a85709522cb01d5a6fe04d8a4b6134c2.jpg

• Like 11

Once again, a beautiful video Scott. Well done. Your plane looks great and I'm green with envy............or is it last nights prawns ;-) Just kidding. As a matter of interest, were you on 123.45 for your radio link, or just the local frequency? Just asking.

Once again, a beautiful video Scott. Well done. Your plane looks great and I'm green with envy............or is it last nights prawns ;-) Just kidding. As a matter of interest, were you on 123.45 for your radio link, or just the local frequency? Just asking.

Doug:

Thanks for the comments / compliments. Yes we were on the "chat channel" (123.45) for most of the flight but also monitoring the area frequency. In the video, near the end you hear both of us say "changing back to the CTAF". The beep shortly after is my radio swapping back. Just sayin' ...

• Caution 1

Doug:Thanks for the comments / compliments. Yes we were on the "chat channel" (123.45) for most of the flight but also monitoring the area frequency. In the video, near the end you hear both of us say "changing back to the CTAF". The beep shortly after is my radio swapping back. Just sayin' ...

I obviously wasn't concentrating. Just enjoying the view and a smooth flight. Keep them coming Scott.