Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Just as we finished the last stages of our  home hangar build we decided to move our bird up to MKT and an available hangar space there. Cant wait for the luxury of our own Hangar not having to worry about cramming in with other aircraft, moving things around and the ever present fear of 'hangar rash'. The ferry hop to the coast was pleasant and I just love clear wet season mornings. 

• Like 6

Great video, I’ve had the First 2 days up on goldcoast watching with envy the planes going by, then 2 ordinary days not much traffic. The water ways and islands are great around here. Seen an aerochute go by hotel this morning over surfers main beach. 

5 hours ago, cscotthendry said:

The weather for video has been great these past few weeks and since the plane is much closer to home, I've been taking advantage of it.

Here's the latest, a wander around our "neighborhood".

Great Scott, watched it while having a late dinner of our last Barra fillet for the year. Nice to see all the waters. Was my old stomping ground years back. Crossed the bar many times. Thanks for posting. Cheers.

23 hours ago, cscotthendry said:

The weather for video has been great these past few weeks and since the plane is much closer to home, I've been taking advantage of it.

Here's the latest, a wander around our "neighborhood".

Scott 

That's a wonderful video!  Its a very beautiful neighborhood  you have there, and the production quality of the clip was high. Great job!

Three questions:

What's the Legend like to Fly?  Its got a whiff of Cessna about its appearance. Does that carry over to flight characteristics?   Just a two seater, right? Its a nice looking aircraft.

Second, can you tell us anything about your external camera mount? It seems to work really well. 

Finally, do you fly far enough over the soup to need to carry a life raft and buoyancy aids? Or are you staying within glide of the coast?  if the former can you tell me about what safety equipment you carry and how much it weighs...

Cheers

Alan   

37 minutes ago, shajen said:

Hi @Blueadventures, where you’re flying looks amazing!  Is that your Nynja in second last photo.? Nice. What’s the multi coloured aircraft low wing parked next to you?

Hope the weather stays nice for you. Enjoy😀

Yes our Nynja, the coloured one is an Eagle 150. Was a nice day and although hot the air was good.  Cheers and safe flights.

On 02/12/2020 at 2:21 PM, NT5224 said:

Scott 

That's a wonderful video!  Its a very beautiful neighborhood  you have there, and the production quality of the clip was high. Great job!

Three questions:

What's the Legend like to Fly?  Its got a whiff of Cessna about its appearance. Does that carry over to flight characteristics?   Just a two seater, right? Its a nice looking aircraft.

Second, can you tell us anything about your external camera mount? It seems to work really well. 

Finally, do you fly far enough over the soup to need to carry a life raft and buoyancy aids? Or are you staying within glide of the coast?  if the former can you tell me about what safety equipment you carry and how much it weighs...

Cheers

Alan   

Hi Alan;

Sorry for the delay in answering here.

Answers to the three questions

Q1) The Legend was designed to look like an 80% scale C182. So yes, there's more than a whiff of Cessna about it. I haven't flown any real Cessnas so I can't compare the flying characteristics. What I can tell you is that it is very forgiving if you let the airspeed get out of whack. I did, and it “dropped a wing” which took the form of a gentle uncommanded left bank. I corrected it by pushing the nose over and full throttle which brought it back to controlled flight instantly. It is a two seat LSA. My wife and I can fly with full fuel (120L) and 32Kg of luggage. Where the back seat would be in a C182 is the luggage area and it has more space than you can carry, unless it's bulky light stuff like bedding. Also, as for flying characteristics, I observed a C152 take off from my local field the other day and they struggled to clear the trees at the end of a runway that we lift off about 1/3 the way down the runway and clear those trees by about 300 - 400ft.

Q2) I have a couple of types of external camera mounts. The Legend is composite, so I can't bolt or rivet anything to it. I use GoPro surfboard mounts on the ends of the wings. I got approval from the manufacturer for these as it's an LSA. Not all GoPro mount bases are the same and you can see in the Gold Coast video the right wing cam wobbles. I've since remedied that by using a different base that fits tighter in the mount. The other camera mount straps to the wing strut. I made the mount from some sheet aluminium. If you PM me I can send you some pics. They're easy to make with simple hand tools.  The inside camera is mounted on a suction mount on the inside of the windscreen.

Q3) When we fly over water, we wear inflatable life vests. If you have a look at our Sydney Victor 1 video you'll see them. Around here, we stay within gliding range of solid ground. You'd be surprised how far that is though. I don't have solid numbers to relate, I determine my safe distance by eye, based on wind direction and height above the water. The life vests weigh about 1/2 kg I think. I bought them from a boating place. They have dual inflation with CO2 bottle and oral inflator.

HTH

• Informative 1

The best season our farmers have had in years. Harvesters have been working long hours, silos are full and long trains are carrying grain out of the district. In the middle of all this, a fire sprang up and was quickly spread by the strong winds. It burned out about 100ha of wheat before crossing into Plains Grass pasture, where it was more controllable. Lots of us rushed over with spray utes and several RFS units turned up. We moved cattle and stopped the fire before it jumped the road.

A water bomber came to snuff out a flare-up.
These pilots tell me that from the air, the burned patch is a big black arrow pointing to a d1ckhead...

(This one wasn’t caused by a header; they’d stopped the harvest because of the ferocious winds. It seems a faulty electrical pump is to blame.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, you don't have to travel to Middle Island (in the Recherche Archipelago) to see pink lakes. W.A. has several small pink lakes, scattered around the wheatbelt. There's one just East of Quairading, the Bruce Rock-Quairading Road runs right through the middle of it. But it needs a wet Winter to fill it.

It's unfortunate that Esperances famous Pink Lake has lost its colour. I can remember well when it was a glorious pink, almost on a par with Lake Hillier. Just showing my age now. The Recherche Archipelago is stunning from any angle, by air or sea. But those islands are riddled with Tiger snakes.

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, onetrack said:

But those islands are riddled with Tiger snakes.

Hmm I did the boat trip out to Woody Island just before Christmas, and on a guided walk was assured by the guide that there are NO snakes on that island.  Seems odd that only one (or few) islands in an archipelago of 100 or so would be snake-free.  Don't know what to think now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday a nice fly down to Currendooly to meet Methusala and friends. Don put on a great wood fired sausage sandwich before we continued to Moruya for a swim. Thank you Don. Love the RV.

Today had a visit from fellow thruster pilot Kevin in his Zephyr.

20210109_102415.jpg

20210109_111548.jpg

Resized_20210110_102634_9998.jpeg

Resized_20210110_144649_5348.jpeg

• Like 6

Finally, got to strap on the wings today and fly, it might have only been circuits, but boy did it feel good. Might steal away some time tomorrow and take a local jaunt over the dams if the day is good.

• Like 3

Visited Shute harbour Air strip for brecky on Sunday.  Other aircraft joining final and one taxiing for departure so kept the speed up and landed long to exit on the second last taxi way to help the flow.  Always a nice place to visit.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not a last flight as such but the mighty Musketeer recently returned to service after another well earned break. So all three aircraft now have ADS-B in and out thanks to just one SkyEcho2.  I am kind of passionate about this cheap and amazing technology. It take one minute to configure the hex code and call sign when changing between aircraft.

20210202_155817.jpg

Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 3
  • Winner 2