Guess This Aircraft ?

That’s taking first class seating to a new level! Not only better comfort, but they can even offer the advantage that you will be the first to arrive….impressive!

2 hours ago, red750 said:

That's the one. Could simulate everything from the Edgely Optica to the Space Shuttle under computer control. Called the TFIS - Total In-Flight Simulator. The unusual aircraft flew some 2,500 research flights and contributed to the advancement of many of the flight technologies integral to today's fleet. Prior to its retirement, the TIFS, a 1955 Convair, was the oldest operating aircraft in the Air Force inventory. (U.S. Air Force photo/ Ben Strasser) Date 7 November 2008

Amazing,,,barely resembles a convair at all ,if you had not told me i would have gone russian lol

Edited by bull

That's actually a rare bottle nosed dolphin with wings & fins?😉dolphin GIF by Scorpion Dagger

Shown with an astronaut who is well behind the craft during the splash down phase.....t😁

Edited by Flightrite
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, facthunter said:

Running props in disturbed air gives them hell.  Having weight in the ends of a fuselage causes flat spinning and pitch inertia issues.  Nev

One of our locals, an ex-commercial pilot in his 80s, flies around the district every Saturday morning. I don’t need to go outside to identify his very noisy pusher.

The idea was: Cheap power line inspection and traffic reporting, compared to a fling wing operating costs. Like the later Brit designed Optica.

Edited by F10

2 minutes ago, derekliston said:

Funny how they never succeed. That one, Edgeley Optica and Seabird Seeker all chased the same market and apparently sank without trace.

Yeah, which is strange as it seems to make sense on paper. I have 50 odd hours on my mystery aircraft, some years back. Flying with the side doors slid back, the view is tremendous, very helicopter like.

Had the worst control harmony I’ve experienced, very heavy ailerons, not bad elevator control and a feather light rudder, almost the exact reverse of what you kind of want! 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Fiat 7002 experimental helicopter. Its rotor was driven by compressed air jets mounted on the end of the rotor blades.

I cannot even begin to comprehend what the sound of the rotor of this thing would be like. 

http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/strange_vehicles/fiat_7002_helicopter.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, red750 said:

No takers on this? It has a most unusual name (in English, anyway) Kind of a cross between a beverage and a slow person.

I like that.  In fact it could be someone who's slow after too many beverages. 

"Dave!  It's your bloody shout, you grognard!"

• Like 1