A time now sadly gone,

bull

Ha ha, I know that hangar and that guy in it.....we Drifter together sometimes.

Yeahe signed me off for my raa certificate after I brought the gt500

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing rec aviation has an advantage in ............. compared to other flying ....... is simplicity and ease of regulation (some might scoff at all that)If you got a car license you are medically OK to do some cheap ? Flying

Gliding maybe also ..........

I can't think of anything better to promote the sport than that

Maybe we are in a doldrum cycle - we just need another good old fashioned economic boom (theres always one of those just around the corner !)

CHEAP??? you are joking of course

Thinking about this I suddenly realised that at Rods Bay we have 9 aircraft and every one of them is homebuilt. The only factory built plane is owned by a bloke from Taroom, who hangars his Pelican at Rods, when he comes to the coast.

The crux of the problem isn't the lack of home builders, or the aging pilot cohort...it's the lack of interest in things aviation amongst all but a very few kids.

I remember when every kid looked up at the sound of an aircraft overhead. I remember the DC3s of TAA and ANA droning across the sky at a couple of thousand feet; the roar of the Meteor or Vampire travelling from Laverton to Sale; and (once) the sonic boom crack of a Sabre flashing past high in the sky.

Aircraft are ho hum today, a bit like the coach they catch to school. They are much more interested in the new beaut gizmo they can buy online.

Kaz

Entertainment is now all about easy options and short attention spans.

(Aaaah,. What was I on about?.....)

There is little incentive to get involved in anything that is challenging. Except maybe the physical sports, but then again even that has succumbed to the easy option of performance enhancing drugs.

This is how to get them!

http://www.midnorthcc.sa.edu.au/aviation-program

Another state school in the area has had a similar program.

When I built my Hummel Ultra cruiser in a shed at the back of the local hardware store there were many visitors who said things along the lines of "you can do that! I though planes come from factories" whereupon I explained to them that aircraft, airliners through to u/l are all "hand built" and you can do it if you take the time to work your way through the labrynth and take the time to learn the processes/ techniques.

I also found that as word got around the district that I was building other builders would turn up - none that I had known before. Perhaps it is the nature of things that we keep our projects to ourselves for fear of ????.

Nevertheless I am now building a Thatcher CX 5 whilst dreaming of the project after that.

CHEAP??? you are joking of course

I used to be a member at one of Adelaide's top golf courses where my brother is still a member. Yesterday he said his membership fees were $4,500 per annum. or $86 per week irrespective of if he plays and at the end of the year he has nothing to show for it plus the cost of balls, gloves clubs etc. At least the flyiing costs I incur are at my control so is it cheap? I guess it is what you compare it to.Also chat to the car buffs to compare expenditure - flying may be cheap.

"How many are being encouraged to build?"The HummelBird builder's list was 16, sadly I don't think any are currently active. (I am included).RAA certainly discourages the 95_10 bullder.

Some like to build, but even old sods like me give it away if there's NO Chance to fly a circuit in my (our) dream machine.

As for getting all the compliance papers & photographs, I gave up Photography to build my dream. now I need photo's of said build.

Camera in one hand rivet-gun in another hand & dolly-block in the third hand, typical bureaucrats want more them I can give.[ATTACH]54725[/ATTACH] AND even when I go to pains to make Good flush riveting, they say Not as good as lumpy rivets!.

spacesailor

[ATTACH]54728[/ATTACH][ATTACH]54729[/ATTACH] The 3/32" rivets are well hidden, in the reverse photo rivet!.

My mate is biulding one ;).

Entertainment is now all about easy options and short attention spans.(Aaaah,. What was I on about?.....)There is little incentive to get involved in anything that is challenging. Except maybe the physical sports, but then again even that has succumbed to the easy option of performance enhancing drugs.

I don't think the attraction of flying out to a regional airport in the middle of nowhere is that compelling. It doesn't compare to hopping on a boeing and flying to different country.

Entertainment is now all about easy options and short attention spans.(Aaaah,. What was I on about?.....)There is little incentive to get involved in anything that is challenging. Except maybe the physical sports, but then again even that has succumbed to the easy option of performance enhancing drugs.

There's still a heap, keen to get out there and do shite, challenge themselves and have an adventure. Part of the problem is, there's no real awareness provided to the wider community on what aviation in Australia has to offer. - They don't know the benefits to communities it can bring, - The multiple facets that make up the world of aviation (it stretches across everything from small model kits, R.C. models, UAV's, full-size ultralight, light, heavy, fast, slow, rocketry, space vehicles,etc), - The potentials for innovation in engineering, technology, business,etc. that apply to more than just aviation, - They don't realise/know that Australian's have played pioneering roles in aviation, helping bring many positives to across the world, and have done/achieved things even Hollywood hasn't thought of. An example of this would be, most people crossing the Sidney Cotton bridge near Proserpine, NQ wouldn't know who he is.

We don't hear more of our everyday aviation heroes and characters. Maybe there's no real aviators anymore, no one inspiring, no visionaries, no leaders. Maybe they are just pilots and some self-glorified machinery operators.

We are handicapped by the current Mob steering the ship, that appear to lack navigation skills and common sense, risking putting us onto the rocks, but they can be trained and guided. Worst case, we channel Somali Pirates and bring them back to the heading that's needed for Aviation and its communities to prosper and grow in Australia.

My apologies if the above doesn't make any sense, and could be way off track. Had a bit of a "Sanate" earlier (still need to Google it), and haven't had a coffee this morning. Cheers

What this thread is showing is that there are a number of clusters of grass roots flyers around the country. What they are doing could easily be replicated by others, if only they knew the sport existed.

Several opinions have been offered as to the preferences of the younger people of today; that might be so in their immediate family, but, for example, the Frankston Sharks BMX Club, a wholly volunteer Club will be hosting a round of the UCI Supercross BMX National Series 2018. 600 people between the ages of 5 and 50 plus will be competing over next Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights.

These people have to commit a lot of time keeping fit and preparing the bikes, and travelling; a large part of this age spread (5 to 50+) may well be addicted to screens, smashed avocado or Facebook, but that still leaves a massive market.

I think it would be productive to do an analysis of AUF/RAA starting from ground zero with the build up to 10,000 members, then looking at what happened from then on, bearing in mind that there are still close to 10,000 members, but probably a lot less actively flying, and look at what could be done to pull in new members in the grass roots section.

That debate (succession planning) has been going for quite a time now. Same problem with the gliding movement.

There's little to be gained by asking the converted. The really hard demographic group to survey, is the vast numbers of folk who wouldn't dream of taking up sport aviation.

Whenever I go on a evangelistic spree, people just glaze over. How can I inspire imagination and adventure? All I can do is show my enthusiasm. I think that Frank does more for our flying future than anybody else I can think of.

So how many of the members here started building an aircraft in their 20's and 30's? Having the time and money to build an aircraft is most likely limited to people in the 40's, 50's and 60's and I suspect that hasn't changed in the last 30-40 years and probably longer.

I am in my early 30's and for the last few years have been merely keeping current until I have both time and financial stability to pursue aviation further, luckily I have a very supportive wife. I also earn considerably more than the average salary, so cannot see average salary guys in their 30's with a family making a big commitment to their hobbies.

Having the time and money to build an aircraft is most likely limited to people in the 40's, 50's and 60's and I suspect that hasn't changed in the last 30-40 years and probably longer.

And hasn't the urban landscape changed - back shed gone in favour of a lanscaped space that is of no purpose other than to keep up with the Joneses and enhance? property value. A building space needs to be readily accessible and not add to the cost of the build.

its a new economy, back in the heyday of GA, the 1970s, every service station had a garage attached to it and making and fixing things by hand was a common. the world has moved on, people are more interested in seeing the world than their own backyard

its a new economy, back in the heyday of GA, the 1970s, every service station had a garage attached to it and making and fixing things by hand was a common. the world has moved on, people are more interested in seeing the world than their own backyard

A nice filler story, but I can’t say I saw a lot of aircraft being built in Service Stations.

I've built 2x planes and turned 41 as I finalized the second. I wont do it again. With the price of importing an affordable kit, very few affordable engines, taxes, I can easily see why I'll never build again. If for some really strange reason I ever own a third plane I'll buy a plane. I've lost way too much money building and buying is cheaper. You also have less options with an experimental build regarding hiring them and they are worth nothing in resale. I have loved aviation since I was old enough to look up 'plane' in the encyclopedia but for me it's as simple as that.

I rarely come across anyone, even in our own aeroclub now interested in building. Sadly I think the skill will quitely fall away like handwriting.

A big huge shoutout to those still building though and keeping the dream alive. I don't beieve there is much else that compares to the high of test flying a plane you built yourself. In todays world of games and ipads maybe there is.. who knows.

And hasn't the urban landscape changed - back shed gone in favour of a lanscaped space that is of no purpose other than to keep up with the Joneses and enhance? property value. A building space needs to be readily accessible and not add to the cost of the build.

I loathe shows like "Backyard Blitz". If those blighters snuck in and buggered up my backyard I'd go off my tree!

Harking back to post #20,

But we could, and should, be doing all we can to attract the 50+ age group into aviation. I don't know how - marketing is not my thing. Maybe organize a flying day at our local clubs? Just a quick circuit or two, with a tiny bit of hands-on for the pax, no money involved?

This is the type of thing that should be done at events like AirVenture Aust and other shows. Aircraft on static display with close public inspection like below, with someone who can give authoritative advice supervising the aircraft, picking out likely suspects and inviting them to sit in the aircraft, answer their questions, suss out their interest, and offer them a quick circuit or TIF as Soleair suggests, in the near future when the activity of the airshow has passed. This is the sort of marketing that might lure future flyers.

628126547_24-5420TecnamP92EchoSuperYMAV20170305.JPG.caeca26e34b9aeb22fe3e7c2e2f83c8e.JPG

1566709662_19-4247JabiruJ230YMAV20170305.JPG.526a667425e11ff94b6691abb175d951.JPG

Maybe we just have to face the fact that to get young people flying is like trying to interest them in steam trains. Lots of good stuff written above and yes nearly all of it true. Mortgages, both working to buy a lot of stuff we never needed puts recreational aviation and building way down the list.

Forget trying to interest them in steam trains.

There's still a heap, keen to get out there and do shite, challenge themselves and have an adventure. Part of the problem is, there's no real awareness provided to the wider community on what aviation in Australia has to offer. - They don't know the benefits to communities it can bring, - The multiple facets that make up the world of aviation (it stretches across everything from small model kits, R.C. models, UAV's, full-size ultralight, light, heavy, fast, slow, rocketry, space vehicles,etc), - The potentials for innovation in engineering, technology, business,etc. that apply to more than just aviation, - They don't realise/know that Australian's have played pioneering roles in aviation, helping bring many positives to across the world, and have done/achieved things even Hollywood hasn't thought of. An example of this would be, most people crossing the Sidney Cotton bridge near Proserpine, NQ wouldn't know who he is.We don't hear more of our everyday aviation heroes and characters. Maybe there's no real aviators anymore, no one inspiring, no visionaries, no leaders. Maybe they are just pilots and some self-glorified machinery operators.

We are handicapped by the current Mob steering the ship, that appear to lack navigation skills and common sense, risking putting us onto the rocks, but they can be trained and guided. Worst case, we channel Somali Pirates and bring them back to the heading that's needed for Aviation and its communities to prosper and grow in Australia.

My apologies if the above doesn't make any sense, and could be way off track. Had a bit of a "Sanate" earlier (still need to Google it), and haven't had a coffee this morning. Cheers

I agree 100%. There is nothing wrong with the youngsters. Sadly on top of what you are saying is the fact that if they do rock up the attitudes shown by many of the older generation is not something that would encourage young people to stick around. There is a lot of homophobia and similar attitudes that young people for the most part just don't want to be around.

How many are being encouraged to build?How much RAA effort is being made to introduce young people to this sector?

Young ones being encouraged....NONE.The rigmarole which one has to go through is unbelievable. All in the name of this so called "safety", "safety","safety".

There is nowhere that this simple formula is displayed.. good culture + procedure + process=safety.

In this situation good culture is the correct construction that is not being satisfied till all is correct.(construction)

KP