Replacement Jabiru battery

Nothing wrong with your logic just that the aircraft are certified (LSA) by Jabiru and they have total say over every component ever used on or in it

If they have a spec to meet no problem but Jabiru say Odyssey PC625

Fuel and oil they have specs to meet now, oil used to have a brand listed

They could say Jabiru battery part number xxxxx in which case you have to buy from them

LSA aircraft approvals are totally linked to Jabiru and any changes to servicing or parts they decide to specify

A big advantage to owner built aircraft.

Okay I confess to not knowing the rules - I go by logic.

If your aircraft is still under some form of warranty and the factory/agent is servicing it - stick to whatever inane illogical conditions apply.

If you are doing the servicing and the aircraft is out of any form of warranty (ie you can not make a claim if things go wrong no matter what) apply logic.

Only purchase a product you have thoroughly researched, be conscientious with your servicing & checking - unlikely anything will go wrong with whatever battery you purchase - you may even get longer engine starter service life, longer battery service life and G for B save a few $$ in the process.

As I said erlier, battery power has been going up while weight has been going down - a Jab battery spec of only a few years old, is already out of date with whats available now and probably the future - why tie yourself in to am obsolete specification?

Who's to know ? and even if they did what possible penalty could be applied - as long as the battery meets or exceeds the specifications and has not in itself caused some incident - nothing !

• Like 1

Skippy, while I completely agree with you, there may be some doubt about whether the insurance company could deny payment on a claim if you had installed a " non-approved " battery.

There was a story from the US about how a guy tried out a different carby but reinstalled the old one. Then he later made a claim which had nothing to do with any carby, but the claim was refused because they said that he had negated the terms of his contract by trying the different carby.

I would hope that this wouldn't happen in Australia, but the lesson I take from this story is to not trust an insurance company to pay out.

And don't give them the smallest excuse.

Anyhow with an aeroplane battery, don't try to wring the last bit of life out of it. It's false economy and it can become a hazard in flight if the charge rate goes up. A temp indicator would not be a waste OR turn the charge off in flight when it's reached full charge voltage.. Caution On some GA types the ALTERNATOR will not come back on line IF the battery voltage is very low. That type usually has a start/run switch and should be placarded. Nev

• Like 1

Anyhow with an aeroplane battery, don't try to wring the last bit of life out of it. It's false economy and it can become a hazard in flight if the charge rate goes up. A temp indicator would not be a waste OR turn the charge off in flight when it's reached full charge voltage.. Caution On some GA types the ALTERNATOR will not come back on line IF the battery voltage is very low. That type usually has a start/run switch and should be placarded. Nev

Couldn't agree more ! I learnt a long time ago that, as Nev said, it is a totaly false economy to continue to work with a battery showing signs of failing. The colder months are usually the time when evidence of a failing battery first start to show.

Skippy, while I completely agree with you, there may be some doubt about whether the insurance company could deny payment on a claim if you had installed a " non-approved " battery.

There was a story from the US about how a guy tried out a different carby but reinstalled the old one. Then he later made a claim which had nothing to do with any carby, but the claim was refused because they said that he had negated the terms of his contract by trying the different carby.

I would hope that this wouldn't happen in Australia, but the lesson I take from this story is to not trust an insurance company to pay out.

And don't give them the smallest excuse.

Bruce I am no longer in the first flush of youth so I pass on this bit of hard won wisdom -

I have found that living your life trying to avoid every mistake, bad impression, heart feeling, etc etc is a sure recipe for your own unhappiness.

The USA is a basket case of a society, almost wholly dysfunctional, I would not be surprised at any story from that local, even the crazy notion that an sociopathic, imbecil could become president.

The carbi story sounds to be highly unlikely BUT who knows with insurance companies?

I would suggest that most of us do things, on a daily basis that may , if thought to be a contributing factor in an accident/incident, may be used to negate or minimise an insurance pay- out - speeding in your car, "j" walking across the street, missing a radio call, not quite completing the service list, etc etc etc

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Just fitted my third Odyssey PC625 battery in my gunship. 9 years old and still starting the engine first go every time. But it was showing only 11 volts static, so it was telling me time to retire it. New battery cost me $286 delivered, found on ebay. Retail price about $419 in store. Battery one I changed at 8 years. I have always used a 120mah trickle solar charger sitting on the cowling, sucking not a whole lot of daylight each day. I think that is the secret to long battery life.

I'm currently sitting at 7 years on a bigass VARTA battery in my V8 road gunship. I usually have a 5 year limit on car battery use and change them before they pack it in. One time (no, not at band camp) I stopped outside the local auto parts store to get something, came back outside and my KIA's battery had died right there and then. Outside the front door. Maybe the store had ultrasonic weapons to destroy batteries outside their door. Or not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I must be too !.  ( addicted to batteries )

Dozens of dead ones in my yard. LoL

When my shed gets over 50c it,s the end of any AGM batteries Not on the floor.

They seem to dry out, then they,r dead. : l,m trying a ' roasting tray ' with a little water to keep the  last new one good.

spacesailor

3 hours ago, spacesailor said:

I must be too !.  ( addicted to batteries )

Dozens of dead ones in my yard. LoL

When my shed gets over 50c it,s the end of any AGM batteries Not on the floor.

They seem to dry out, then they,r dead. : l,m trying a ' roasting tray ' with a little water to keep the  last new one good.

spacesailor

Recycle usually $4 to $8 per battery; your sitting on a small fortune:)

I nearly died when the guy said that it was more than $100 for a new Falcon battery. I asked why and he said " the global price of lead mate" so I said that my old battery had the same lead as ever. When I tried to sell the old battery at the scouts recycling place, they offered $2.

Next time, we should do like RF guy thinks and take the lead out ourselves.

Can be a bit bad for your health if you don't take care.  I remember my dad used to make sinkers.  These days it's pretty cheap to buy a pack of ready made ones, unless you're doing a lot of fishing in snaggy areas it's not worth the effort to make them yourself.

There's a couple of things to think about, if you want to extract the lead from batteries yourself. 

1. They contain sulphuric acid, and this stuff is nasty stuff to handle, and it must be neutralised.

In its 32% acid formulation in batteries, it's classified as a Hazardous substance, and it can't just be poured down the nearest drain. You need a substantial amount of Sodium Bicarbonate to neutralise it.

2. There's a lot waste material that you end up with from a shattered battery, such as the polypropylene casing, the separators, and an amount of various types of sulphate residues.

All this material has to be disposed of, and you can't just dump in your general rubbish bin, nor in your recyclables bin. And I wouldn't recommend just dumping it on a vacant patch of land somewhere, the penalties for dumping toxic waste are quite eye-watering. You might be able to place it in a heavy industrial waste bin if you have access to one (I do, as I have a factory unit in a heavy industrial area).

3. You really need to smelt the lead extracted from batteries, to get a clean lead product suitable for selling - otherwise the scrap dealers won't give you the full $1.50 kg for it.

Smelting lead requires a crucible and molds, and the fumes from heated lead are extremely toxic. So you need substantial breathing and skin protection.

Overall, unless you have a very large quantity of batteries to melt down, and are well organised with all the above requirements for lead extraction and smelting, I'd have to opine it's hardly worth the effort to try and extract the lead from your handful of batteries, and you're far better advised to leave battery recycling to the professionals.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1