Glider enters cloud

2 hours ago, Jabiru7252 said:

This link shows what happens when clowns learn to fly...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ibwry87tecs3lsk/DG-2.mp4?dl=0

I think the instructor was the clown there.  

Jeez that put the pucker factor on, especially when the camera inverted - I thought they'd gone in then.

• Like 1

couple of things

1) "Should be through here" (said as they were deliberately flying into IMC !)

2) I don't see any artificial horizon / HSI . Is there one ????

I gather they lived ?

they deliberately and consciously flew into IMC ??? What am I missing here ?

Edited by RFguy

Must be the Kiwi -GDG, the Aussie one is listed as a single seat. 

The only other thing I have to say is "WTF were they thinking playing so close to cloud without an AH?" 

Wonder what a new pair of seat cushions costs for one of those fancy high-performance gliders?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RossK said:

I was was dumbfounded when the instructor said "turn left here", when the only clear air was to the right.

Yes I saw plenty of opportunities for a right turn into clear air!

Unbelievable lack of judgement i reckon.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Roscoe said:

Yes I saw plenty of opportunities for a right turn into clear air!

Unbelievable lack of judgement i reckon.

Agreed  - however he who hath never made a stupid mistake, is a perfect  saint I have yet to meet.

• Agree 1

I think the video has been deleted because of the 'upsetting nature' of the feedback. While it was a profoundly dumb situation to end up in, I guess we should think twice about our comments. I myself tend to be a harsh bastard.

Edited by Jabiru7252

2 minutes ago, Jabiru7252 said:

We all make mistakes, but most aren't so profoundly stupid as this. And yes, the video has been deleted!

Hi Jab,

You sound like a person who has never damaged /crashed an aircraft - up until about 8 months ago, I  had had about 30 years of accident free flying - a series of minor stupid decisions/actions, non of which on their own would provably result in a dingle (Swiss Cheesed theory of accidents) resulted in my first and hopefully last accident. Now very much wiser as a result of this hard lesson, I now know it can happen to anyone and quit possibly the overconfidence, that tends to go with a blemish free record, is the first step down the slippery patch to an incident.

3 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Hi Jab,

You sound like a person who has never damaged /crashed an aircraft - up until about 8 months ago, I  had had about 30 years of accident free flying - a series of minor stupid decisions/actions, non of which on their own would provably result in a dingle (Swiss Cheesed theory of accidents) resulted in my first and hopefully last accident. Now very much wiser as a result of this hard lesson, I now know it can happen to anyone and quit possibly the overconfidence, that tends to go with a blemish free record, is the first step down the slippery patch to an incident.

I have had a few incidents, all due to being forgetful or in a hurry. Not all aviation related. This incident was not like that, they seemed to completely ignore or were totally oblivious to the danger staring them in the face. They have no 'excuse'. Clear air and height one way and thick cloud and little height the other way. 

• Agree 1

It showed cockpit video of a Glider, being flown very close to extensive cloud. On the left was large buildups, on the right was large areas of cloud free sky.

A voice behind the Student (or Pilot) was giving track guidance and suggested a left turn which took the aircraft into cloud.

Control was lost shortly after and panic seemed to take over.

The Camera fell upside down and i think recovery was made shortly after exiting cloud.

Thats my recollection.

10 minutes ago, bushcaddy105 said:

Just checked in to RF and would like to know what happened. Can someone please post a non-judgemental summary of what the video showed?

Reply just posted.

5 minutes ago, Jabiru7252 said:

I have had a few incidents, all due to being forgetful or in a hurry. Not all aviation related. This incident was not like that, they seemed to completely ignore or were totally oblivious to the danger staring them in the face. They have no 'excuse'. Clear air and height one way and thick cloud and little height the other way. 

Well said. Agree completely.

34 minutes ago, Jabiru7252 said:

I dont disagree - my own incident is still very fresh in my mind and truly humbling.With only a video (which is truly disturbing), knowing nothing about the 2 pilots, the conduct of the flight up to the start of the video and the ability to investigate further, I am reluctant to take the high moral ground. I do agree that this would make a very useful instructional video - pilots (including myself) tend toward self confidence, this video shows how everything can turn to s---t very very quickly...... a salutary lesson we all need, to be repeated at regular intervals.

• Like 1