Lismore airport closed

I'm just devastated to hear this. I've been honoured to have Wayne as a good friend for nearly thirty years. He taught me so much and was so modest about his amazing skills. I can't believe he's gone, I thought he was the one flyer among us who would eventually go from old age. Deepest condolences to family and associates. He'll be sorely missed, truly the Jonathan Livingston of ultralighting.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne was one last of the great pioneer ultra lighters and he few beside a lot of the other greats of the first movement of hard core early day flyer . , like Bob Goodie ,Scot winton , BIll knight which all set records many times over. I first met Wayne at mt tambourine field around 1990 he put on a great show just 20mins before a mother of mother storm came throw and wiper my aircaft out . He gave me a list of places in could get part from to help me out I was only 17 at the time and gave me some much needed advice on boom tube replacement . You will be missed .

Daniel

• Like 1

Condolences to Waynes Family and all of his friends.

Even though I never met Wayne I read alot about him and the contribution he made to the ultralight movement.

A great man and aviator to the end.

RIP Wayne Fisher you will be missed but never forgotten by the people who loved and knew you.

Alf

G'day All, Wayne was an enormous help when he crafted a new set of skins for my Thruster as seen in the Avatar. He was a genuinely nice bloke and very easy to deal with. We will all miss his huge contribution to the movement. Kindest thoughts and sympathy to his family and many friends, regards Don

I did not know Wayne but I have heard much about him from fellow aviators and to a man they all have the utmost respect and admiration for his skills, dedication to ultralighting and absolute love of flight, as well as being a very fine person. Many of my Aero Club members knew him well and on their behalf I offer the most sincere condolences to Waynes family and friends.

Kevin Wilson

President

Grafton Aero Club

• Agree 2

Can someone help me understand this quote from our leader?

"He said the plane was a private charter, and RAA investigators would assist police with their inquiries" was repeated again on the TV news. In the RAA context can someone please tell me what a private charter is?

Godfather to all Drifter pilots he was only a phone call away for offering all his material and technical help/support and words of wisdom to all those who needed it. Had the pleasure of listening to some of his engine failure stories told as routine landings (He estimated his engine outs between 60-70) when he stayed overnight whilst delivering my Drifter from lismore to sydney.

A true legend he was, this is a tremendous loss for flying fraternity and he will be sorely missed.

• Agree 3

My Condolences to Wayne's family and many friends.

I did not know Wayne but have heard so much of him (all good) over the years.

I have to say I saw the photos on Sky News a while back. That centre section being burnt out like it was is not good.

I never have liked having the fuel in the cockpit with you. These A/C have a 100ltr tank behind the pax seat.

This was done of course so the wings are easily removable.

This incident will rock the flying community as Wayne had many friends ... a terrible loss of one of our pioneering greats. Make sure in all this process you give yourself time to grieve. When the dust has settled this will hit you hard and you will need some support.

• Agree 3

My deepest sympathy to Wayne`s family.

I`ve known Wayne for over 30 years. He would have built the Drifter I own and fly,when he was working with Austflight Aviation.

I first met Wayne at Tully Heads, north Queensland, where he had delivered a Drifter. Back then it was a big deal that an Ultralight aircraft was coming to this part of the country, so there was a group of us and a few of the local kids, wanting to see this aircraft.We watched him do a demonstration flight for the buyer and I was absolutely amazed at how he could make that aircraft fly!

A few months ago I was going through some old photos and there was one that I took on that day. Wayne was siting proudly in the Drifter,with everyone gathered around him. As many years had passed since I took that photo I thought Wayne might like to have a copy of it, so I scanned it and Emailed it to him.

Wayne helped me several times over the years and it`s a tragedy he won`t be there in the future. Rest in peace.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Wayne was an inspiration to me as a young boy and contributed to my lifelong fascination with Drifters and ultralights. To say that I am shattered is an understatement. I spoke to Wayne just Friday morning seeking some of his invaluable advice about a few things on my Drifter, something I did often and as usual, he went over and above to ensure he could help me with my queries. It was such a comfort knowing that he was only a phone call away and knew everything you could ever know about Drifters. The loss to the rag and tube fraternity will be substantial but I also must acknowledge his loved ones and their loss which is more significant. I don't have the words to explain just how much this has saddened me.....I really wish I could have spent more time with him and known him more. This may sound cheesy but I will be taking my Drifter soaring tomorrow as a mark of respect for the 'Godfather of Drifters' - I am sure he'll be up there with me..... R.I.P Wayne. :'-(

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

What a absolute shock and distress to hear this news, history goes back to 70s when meeting Wayne at Lennox Head, Hang Gliding and watching him land and takeoff from a sign post on the ridge.

Wayne helped me through my introduction to Hang Gliding for the following 10 years, then my initial and advanced training at Austflight on the Drifter, every afternoon at sunset after work we would go up and you could see his passion for flying, that was before I took on the flying School.

Recently as of last year Val and I went down to place our order for a 912 Drifter but due to availability, Wayne showed me and recommended a Savannah in the next Hangar. the owner wanted to make room for his next project. Wayne delivered the Savannah to Caboolture where I fly out of now.

I know that all the old school hang glider and Ultralight pilots will be devastated by this sad loss.

A true gentleman and quiet achiever of the highest order.

I say thank you Wayne for soooo many memories and being there for me and many others as our mentor and friend through our learning of flight in all its aspects.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Like so many others - shock and disbelief barely describes my thoughts at present. This is the true definition of tragedy and condolences to Fisher family and friends. He was a true legend pilot and just a great bloke to go with it.

• Agree 1

This incident will rock the flying community as Wayne had many friends ... a terrible loss of one of our pioneering greats. Make sure in all this process you give yourself time to grieve. When the dust has settled this will hit you hard and you will need some support.

Well said David, and I'm sure we are all here for you in what ever way we can to help.

RIP Wayne.

• Agree 1

This may sound cheesy but I will be taking my Drifter soaring tomorrow as a mark of respect for the 'Godfather of Drifters' - I am sure he'll be up there with me..... R.I.P Wayne. :'-(

I hope my reply is not out of place on this thread!

David, It`s not cheesy to me! A few months ago I took a lady flying who was the wife of a guy (a friend of mine) who I taught to fly the Drifter, many years ago. Because of her fear of flying she refused to ever fly with him. Two years ago her husband passed away and she regretted never having flown with him so she came up here from Buderim where they had moved to and stayed with Fran and I. She had come here so that I would take her flying,in memory of her husband,Neil. We went flying and it was a powerful experience for both of us!I had tears in my eyes and could almost feel Neils presence.

Do it and I certainly will also!

Frank.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

These A/C have a 100ltr tank behind the pax seat.This was done of course so the wings are easily removable.

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends. It's always a tragedy when something like this happens. It's also the first RV-12 fatality that I've heard of anywhere in the world. There are around 250 RV-12's flying now and about twice as many under construction. As ave8rr said, the tank is behind the pax seat, although it's 76ltr, not 100ltr. However from the description of the crash, it probably wouldn't have made much difference where the fuel was.

rgmwa

Guest Maj Millard

Wayne came over to me at Old Station one year, and asked if he could borrow my Drifter for a photo shoot. He needed the 582 to lift a quite large Australia Aviation photographer in the back seat. Not too many people I would give my personal aeroplane to I can tell you, but with Wayne it was a no-brainer. When he returned I was interested in what he may have thought of my particular Drifter, having flown so many himself. "Pushy, quite pushy" was his only reply. I took that as being good !..........we'll miss you and your contributions for sure Wayne........................................Maj...