Silly aviation pictures.

Cobalt

This artistic expression has adorned Hickson Road, Dawes Point, Sydney for quite a few years now. I think it i only recently that the original artist's work was critiqued and the rock anthropomorphised.

AF1QipOFcj7oH1mpwZeuinVtzNiuf78dl-5i0Zk6w5Qs=w408-h270-k-no

In a "full motion" simulator when I was only sitting in the "Jump" seat.(of course) one particular  arrival was pretty damn severe.  and realistic.  These simulators save lives and you can just jump out of one in to the REAL thing and fly it.   That's after about 7 four hour sessions.   Nev

• Informative 2

27 minutes ago, facthunter said:

you can just jump out of one in to the REAL thing and fly it.   That's after about 7 four hour sessions

Wasn't that the way some Indian airlines were getting people trained for Second Officer duty?

I thought they basically took the recruit "off the street", bunged them in one of those simulators that was specific for the plane the company wanted the "pilot" to work in. The result was a person who actually could operate one particular aircraft, but had no other aeronautical knowledge. Since all the route details would be uploaded by someone in an office, these "pilots' didn't have the background knowledge that was behind all aspects of flight planning. As for aircraft handling, I doubt if the simulation course would include handling a situation like the Gimli Glider incident.

36 minutes ago, Old Koreelah said:

These full-motion flight simulators are plurry expensive; is there any chance they’ll be produced in large enough numbers to get the price down within reach of RA flying schools?

There's a challenge and a business opportunity for you OK.  I've seen your trailer which is a masterpiece of engineering - surely you can produce a lower-cost hydraulic moving Jabiru cabin?

• Haha 2

It's the usual amount of sim that one does on a FULL conversion to a new type larger RPT.. The 7 th session is a check. You are referring to the multi crew licence which is only for CM2 positions in a particular multi  crewed plane with a particular Airline operating under their AOC. A cost saver many countries don't do. One of the duties the second pilot is there for is to take over if there's any incapacitation of the "command" pilot . You can't qualify for a First Class ATPL without 1000 hours in command. How these people will ever get that who knows and how will they behave in the emergency command situation no one would really know either.  Nev

• Informative 1

Those simulators cost heaps to  buy and run. Some 1000's of dollars/hour but much less than the real thing if you're flying around in a plus 300 seater empty just for putting a learning experience in YOUR head. There's also the real risk of flying anything in an emergency situation you created on purpose. Too many have been killed in the past doing just that. Training pilot's properly is expensive. Plenty of plots would have had over 1.5 million dollars spent on their training. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Coonabarabran Aero Club has joined up with the local High School to put a smallish flight simulator in to entice the kids onto aviation. THe conversion from "free period" to flight school is low, but one is better than none. A couple of the lads have passed solo at the club. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

51 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Those simulators cost heaps to  buy and run. Some 1000's of dollars/hour…

My wife has flown one, when she and a heap of others afraid of aviation, did a “Fearless Flying” course run be some female Qantas pilots.

51 minutes ago, facthunter said:

There's also the real risk of flying anything in an emergency situation you created on purpose. Too many have been killed in the past doing just that…

We’re told that’s why spins were removed from the cirriculum; fewer were killed by spins than were killed training to survive them.

• Informative 1

Spins don't feature prominently. It's systems failures and  emergency procedures and assymetric thrust Dutch roll  Yaw damper  Jammed stabiliser. Engine failure on Take Off post V1 with uncontrollable fire  That's one you don't waste time with  Cockpit fire and smoke Pressurisation loss, spoiler float ,flapless landing, Manual reversion of all controls.  plus lot's more to keep you busy. ..  Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1