Silly aviation pictures.

Cobalt

2 hours ago, onetrack said:

Isn't that one of those extremely rare Cessna Tri-Motors? They got the idea from Junkers.

................NON mesor It was THee French who was first !!! [Stated Turdo in his french quise]as he posted this picture,,,F.120 Jabiru. A French sesquiplane airliner that just might be the ugliest  aircraft ever made. (Ca. 1925) : r/WeirdWings,,,,AAnd they also designed the.................

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, bull said:

................NON mesor It was THee French who was first !!! [Stated Turdo in his french quise]as he posted this picture,,,F.120 Jabiru. A French sesquiplane airliner that just might be the ugliest  aircraft ever made. (Ca. 1925) : r/WeirdWings,,,,AAnd they also designed the.................r/WeirdWings - Couzinet 70 - French Tri-motor

• Winner 1

The design more than any other has managed to keep the Engines near the centre of drag. It has an ample rudder and a dorsal fin. Once you got used to the seat height , control should be better than most others of the period.  Nev

• Informative 1

47 minutes ago, facthunter said:

The design more than any other has managed to keep the Engines near the centre of drag. It has an ample rudder and a dorsal fin. Once you got used to the seat height , control should be better than most others of the period.  Nev

But can you imagine the noise ??????????

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, IBob said:

But can you imagine the noise ??????????

The noise mightn't have been as bad as one might expect, as the engines were water-cooled 300HP Salmsons. However, I'm struggling to see where the radiators are positioned. I can see header tanks on top of the engines, but the radiators are well hidden. What is puzzling, is that monstrous shielding plate in front of the engines? That would appear to reduce cooling effort by a substantial amount.

Even more puzzling, is that Salmson reportedly stopped building water-cooled engines in 1920, so these engines must have been surplus engines, perhaps WW1 military surplus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmson_water-cooled_aero-engines

Nev, the Farman F.4X Jabiru couldn't have been a huge success in the handling dept. Of the 4 built - the first of which flew in 1923 - 2 crashed in 1925, and the remaining 2 were immediately withdrawn from service - obviously over some fears associated with their flying abilities. Not exactly a long and illustrious flying record.

Interestingly, F-AHAF was one of the surviving F.4X's and after being withdrawn from service, it was later converted to an F.121 model. So, yes, you may be correct about the water-cooled Salmsons lack of reliability. Coolant leaks were constant in that era, natural rubber was all that was available for hoses, and gasket materials often lacked durability.

Here's a great 1927 film clip of a Farman F.121 taxiing and takeoff. Powered by 4 x 180HP Hispano-Suiza V8's.

Climb performance could be rated as "leisurely" at best. The level of visibility for the pax is enormous for the era.

Edited by onetrack

No, a big minus for the idiot parking there and a huge kick into orbit for the numbnuts that closed the door.

Nothing wrong with the door, just f..kwits who used it.

Shows what happens when you stick your bum where it shouldn't be.

Called ,"shit happens"

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

Litespeed, you sure it wasn't a wind-actuated event, as the aircraft was being wheeled out? I inherited a Tilt-a-Door as the garage door on our house when we moved in. It's a disaster waiting to happen with strong wind gusts. It's nearly landed on the car several times as we drove in or out. I will never have another door that raises up, in a manner where it can be slammed shut by wind gusts.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

And , the ' roller ' door loses it's springs. & forever closing down on you .

But those ' electric roller doors ' just jam , ( at the most awkward time ) .

I haven't seen a '  horizontal roller door ' Yet .

spacesailor

I accept it could be a wind blown accident, but that's a lot of damage. Though at final stage of travel the door force is considerable.

I thought it was a motor driven one that's been shut. 

So you think it was been moved from the hangar and the wind slammed down the door? At the exact moment?

Or did the pilot? Leave it below the door in the danger zone?

Given the design of bifold, how does a wind force bar a vertical download make such a door slam when they act as wings into the approaching wind, thus wanting to stay in the folding position?

Bar the resistance of springs etc detaching due to sudden mechanical failure, I don't get it.

I admit my hangar door knowledge is limited.