Silly aviation pictures.

Cobalt

Litespeed is somewhat right - it is an engine and a combination of part, hoses, etc, all piled together, that is not precisely what a BMW M Series twin turbo V8 actually looks like.

But the reality is - the real thing definitely IS a nightmare of hoses, plastic crap, wiring, sensors and piping. And what's worse - they run big end bearings every 80,000 to 100,000 kms because they're producing around 700HP, and BMW engineers underestimated the bearing loads and bearing clearances needed.

Yet the BMW fanbois still love 'em! Here's a bloke who happily fixed his buggered BMW M Series V8 by swapping in a complete replacement engine. I reckon his problems have only just started!

Apparently the twin turbos mounted in the centre of the "V" simply concentrate massive levels of heat, and increase oil consumption.

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1733004

BMW-M63-V8.JPG

Edited by onetrack

Actually so far from a BMW it could be a pile of toymotors.

That Fwd package is not BMW just by the non all alloy suspension.

But yes the big power V8 twin turbos are heat stressed, but often abused and this shows the weaker bits.

Mercedes are also guilty will the 6.3 breaking cranks when driven by young rich blokes( dealers?). Same with newer turbo models.

If you expect race engine power expect to break stuff.

500hp means a 600hp plus heat generator plus friction, loads etc and more torque makes twisty cranks etc.

No free lunch.

But I agree the cost of replacement for all those hoses, o-rings, gaskets etc can be heart breaking. For a well serviced non abused engine they will determine engine life.

Head gaskets rarely go without a simple hose or radiator/ pump belt failure.

Give me a simple Alfa Romeo atmo engine any day.

• Informative 1

250 hp might be enough ........... but the bloke at the end of the queue (you know - the one following too close & looking over your right fender and right side mirror) needs 350 hp to get past 'you' all

• Agree 1

Yeah and next week he'll want 400 HP. You don't NEED it and IF you use it you will USE a lot more fuel and rubber and will have a fair  chance of copping a fine or proving you weren't such a hotshot driver as you want to kid yourself you are.   Nev

There are plenty of young guys running around with 400 hp. Plenty of events to go to all round Australia, all year. For anyone who doesn't understand this I'd recommend they go to the Summernats or night drag racing on tracks around Australia. Sprintcars are getting 1000 horsepower out of 400 ci; easy switch into a Commodore or Falcon.

On 20/08/2023 at 4:09 PM, johnm said:

but the bloke at the end of the queue (you know - the one following too close & looking over your right fender and right side mirror) needs 350 hp to get past 'you' all

Then you will catch up to him at the next set of lights.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

I'M REFERRING TO on the road .Do what you like at those EVENTS.  Nev

SO AM I if you want to shout. I'd consider that families who drive from Melbourne to the Gold Coast, Darwin, Perth etc. are on the road and don't need censorship.

AND IF YOU HAD ! .

A large volume motor , wouldn't you wind it up a couple of times , just to see that 200 kmrs per hour on Your dial .

Yippee

Thanks, Australia for letting us revheads have ONE road .

UNREGULATED FOR SPEED .

Stuart highway NT 

It maybe restricted now to 130 klmrs p hour . SHAME ON THEM .

Nò more ' expensive ' Bentley GT's going faster then light aircraft ! . ( 330 klmts p h ).

spacesailor

• Haha 1

A lot of the Stuart highway is unfenced, and the heat haze makes seeing oncoming cars  difficult. IF you are going fast do it on suitable DIVIDED roads OR a track. How'd you like to smash a windscreen at 200 Kms/hr or have an animal bone do your tire in?.   ALL I'm SUGGESTING is you don't NEED  these very high HP vehicles. The speed limit applies to everyone and most Australian roads are not  that good.  Nev

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, facthunter said:

A lot of the Stuart highway is unfenced, and the heat haze makes seeing oncoming cars  difficult. IF you are going fast do it on suitable DIVIDED roads OR a track. How'd you like to smash a windscreen at 200 Kms/hr or have an animal bone do your tire in?.   ALL I'm SUGGESTING is you don't NEED  these very high HP vehicles. The speed limit applies to everyone and most Australian roads are not  that good.  Nev

You could send a message to Spacesailor; he's the one that suggested 200 km/hr, but just because someone has an 800 hp Commodore doesn't mean they are going to break the speed limit; the cars I've been talking about are the family's cars when they're not at shows.  There's another group of busybodies out there in social media bashing what they see as Monster Trucks; these are light commercials built for towing withing GCM, but they want them banned.

15 minutes ago, red750 said:

The numbers indicate which aircraft carrier it is. eg.: USS Gerald Ford is No. 78.  No. 65 is the USS Enterprise.

Don't land on the wrong carrier

Here's what happens when you land on the wrong aircraft carrier - The  Aviation Geek Club

image.jpeg.81ad363b1a5cecc7d038a8226420b180.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Informative 1