Is Hanson Breaking Our (very very special) RAA Rules Flying Around the Country

SSCBD

Oh, FFS.

The Jabiru per se is not an issue and in the mainstream press there is NO - repeat NO - suggestion that the aircraft, or the manufacturer, are in any way implicated in anything 'dodgy'.

Whatever one may feel about the 'politics', the ethics or the legality of this whole situation is an entirely separate matter.

What Hanson and Ashby have done, has - unwittingly, I believe, but remarkable effectively as it turns out - promoted the good qualities of good RAA aircraft, as useful, reliable and generally safe transport. It is especially 'good' that that aircraft is our home-grown product.

And - as a further point: it has demonstrated that an RAA aircraft, operated sensibly and safely, can 'get the job done'. It appears that Ashby (whatever one may think of his character etc., and I dislike the man greatly, I will say) - has flown the thing properly, safely, and to great effect for the 'mission' for which it was chosen. I am reasonably sure that had there been any 'hairy' moments, they would have been widely reported.

The question of possibly bending the definition of 'airwork' rules by CASA is another matter - but one that has been shown to be, in my view, of questionable 'safety' value. That is an important demonstration that CASA's rules are unnecessarily restrictive and need refining to allow the newer generation of 'Recreational' aircraft to be used to their full potential.

Excise, for a moment please, the personalities involved here. Look at the damn basics of the situation.

There was a defined 'job to be done': an extended period of personal transport around Australia, in a pressure situation. An RAA aircraft was chosen to be the best option for that job - and by all reports I have seen, it did it well, safely, and effectively. It was flown - apparently - within RAA operational limitations. It sat on the tarmac between uses, was filled with fuel, took off, went from A to B, landed, no dramas. It was used as a tool - just as a 'Tradies Ute' is a tool.

Recreational Aviation has been handed a high-profile endorsement of the fact that our aircraft and our operational regime, are (generally) safe and effective forms of moving around this country when used with due respect.

THAT is - I believe - where we should be looking here. We can drive this example for our benefit - IF we stop the 'political' BS that now permeates this thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 4

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRUE IAN

But it's not the fact the French guillotined an awful lot of French Or America Killed brother's in their revolution, And

Who's to say Australia can't have another go (:Eureka Stockade - Three months after the Eureka Stockade, Peter Lalor wrote: As the inhuman brutalities practised by the troops are )

spacesailor...

They are allegations with significant evidence to back them up, and therefore not defamatory..

Oh yes it is.

I have been in that position, proven completely innocent and the real Crim was charged, and we had a family friend with a 'blue van' who was mistaken for a guy with a blue van who attempted child stealing, long story but he went through hell, ruined his life, but that rarely changes opinions of people who have already decided.

I agree with your stance, I hate Pollies who wrought the system and I publicly crucify them - after they have been found legally guilty and not before.

Taking a sick day when your not sick, yes frankly that is fraud.

Oh so it's Farri that's the Crim now? 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

bexrbetter, I generally like to apply the theory of innocent until proven guilty too, but the problem with politicians is they are very good at protecting each other and never get found guilty of anything in a court of law.

• Agree 1

There are 27 public "servants" in South Australia who get more than 360,000 a year.

None of them has succeeded in becoming the messiah appropriate to this pay grade.

In my opinion, they are legal thieves who practice their thievery on a grand scale but with the connivance of the authorities.

They are all far worse than anything Hanson has done.

And yes it is sometimes necessary for a good person to break the law. There are wicked laws out there... was not this matter decided at Nuremberg?

• Agree 1

I don't disagree, there are unjustified laws out there and blind observance of the rules is not good, however I don't think that is the case here. However by introducing Nuremberg we are getting perilously close to Godwin's law here so probably way way too far off topic for a recreational aviation forum

• Like 1

If it wasn't One Nation it wouldn't be on the front page.

Agreed - but it IS on the front page, and it's a story about an RAA aircraft doing a good job, rather than crashing..

What's not to like?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I know what people think about Andrew Bolt, but his page in today's Herald-Sun was about the ABC's one sided handling of PH. Mentions the Jab. Worth a read if you can get hold of it.

• Like 1

Yup, the bandwagon (media) was slow when it was Bronwyn and the helicopter.

Agreed - but it IS on the front page, and it's a story about an RAA aircraft doing a good job, rather than crashing..What's not to like?

Exactly what I thought at an earlier stage when I saw her with the Jabiru.

As well as Andrew Forgotisname (member here) with the Brumby.

There is also an element of misogyny which makes me suspicious. Julia Gillard was also a victim of this. I can't understand why the media is so awful to women who challenge the power structure.

Umm??

Ok that's a bit of fun in a forum, but doesn't give a major news outlet much credibility.

Nor do they understand it's this condescending reporting that gets Trump, Bexit and Hanson empowered, after all that's happened in the last year, that bit is quite amazing.

• Informative 1

Political scandals and bickering like we see in this thread are a product of a sick democratic system. I invite everyone to invest a few minutes viewing:

or linking to:

MiVote

MiVote is a genuine and serious attempt to "re-boot" democracy for the modern age and it seems to be triggering interest worldwide. It has the potential to ethically elevate the core of democratic practice, without the current decline into party-political binary squabbling.

I have no personal or financial interest in this movement, other than seeing it as a promising (if idealistic) way forward from the lamentable decline we all see within current democratic process around the world.

I'm sorry for contributing to this thread drift, but note that it could potentially allow us to improve our aviation policy should this innovative democratic movement take hold - albeit some way down the track.

The real issue is that Hanson, McNee and Ashby have conspired to hide a donation. So then the issue is how many, if any, other donations has Ashby taken?

If Hanson loses Ashby, she's pretty much lost.

• More 1

The real issue is that Hanson, McNee and Ashby have conspired to hide a donation. So then the issue is how many, if any, other donations has Ashby taken?If Hanson loses Ashby, she's pretty much lost.

So is the ALP going to push that line, or is there more in the cannon?

• Like 1

It would have been buried so deep by lawyers, bureaucrats and accountants with tax payers money that it would never have been found.

Every time One Nation and Pauline get a bit of publicity or interest, the major "players" release the hounds......

In this case, the ABC.....

I don't think Pauline expects to write much good policy and will rely and her right hand man/executioner/money man/pilot cum chief of staff to have found suitable donors to write policy for her.

Getting the donors to decide policy is something of a policy in it self in has even infected councils and it appears those that disinfected themselves are no longer separate councils.(some notable exceptions- Auburn stank too much even for the libs.)

And here in lies the rub- its a complete fraud on the democracy itself and therefore a crime against ever citizen when a member of parliament/senate and/or their staff hide their sources of money/aircraft or even influence by donors. We have a constitution and massive case law/rules etc to prevent this and protect our society.

It matters not who or why it was done by-merely that it was attempted or indeed suceeded. No exceptions.

Any mention of Peter Slipper is a complete smokescreen- he was targetted unfairly over some few hundred dollars of car expenses incorrectly claimed. He was attacked because the government wanted to replace him as speaker and get Mal Brough into his seat. The big crimes were the actions of Brough and Ashby- even admitted on tv but when investigated Brough was never charged and the feds as per usual did nothing and dropped the case. Nothing seems to change.

Meanwhile Tony Abbott celebrated what a great investment he made by staying at the Federal police barracks when in Canberra- Mates look after Mates it would seem.

And we keep getting told to look the other way at the flying pink elephant..............

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Every time One Nation and Pauline get a bit of publicity or interest, the major "players" release the hounds......

Not restricted to One Nation by any means, they are just the biggest thorns in their side.

The Senate structure was changed last election to rid of other thorns.

Not restricted to One Nation by any means, they are just the biggest thorns in their side.The Senate structure was changed last election to rid of other thorns.

And that worked real well didn't- oh the irony, gaming the system to remove opposition- only to end of with even more of them. The LNP could only have done better by shooting themselves in the Head.

Now that would make good TV.

It could be filmed by Jabiru.......

Every time One Nation and Pauline get a bit of publicity or interest, the major "players" release the hounds......In this case, the ABC..

Whilst it is true that political opponents will look for opportunities to get even, I am afraid that I tend to judge harshly pollies who are foolish enough to either transgress the law or even sail close enough to the edge to invite this kind of scrutiny.

I see 2 issues here, one is the declaration of political donations. To me it is crucial for democracy for these to be declared as well as legally required in some. circumstances. I do not know whether these laws have been broken or not but if they have then they should face the consequences regardless of political affiliation. I would assume that this will ultimately be determined in the legal arena. I do not subscribe to the notion that it may be technically illegal but that it is OK because it is good for the image of RA aircraft. It is either within the law or not and that has nothing to do with whether or not I approve of One Nations politics or not. I am not sure whether this aspect of this case rightly belongs on this forum or perhaps would be more appropriate on the Whats up Aus site

The other issue is that of whether these flights fall within the scope of recreational aviation or not. This IS an issue for this site. I see this as more of an issue for the pilot rather than the passenger. I am very careful not to break the regs regarding cost sharing and commercial operations etc. and I expect other pilots to do the same. I do not know if there has been a contravention of the regs in this case but if there has then surely we would all agree that it should be acted upon. I follow the rules and I expect everyone else to.

So is the ALP going to push that line, or is there more in the cannon?

I think the whole episode will have much more packed into the cannon before Ashby and Hansen stumble past and blow themselves up as they cry of Fake News.

I have popcorn and beer.............

Whilst it is true that political opponents will look for opportunities to get even, I am afraid that I tend to judge harshly pollies who are foolish enough to either transgress the law or even sail close enough to the edge to invite this kind of scrutiny.

What is interesting to me is the Hanson of course has been to jail for a similar situation, no need to discuss that here.

So you would think that at the slightest hint of there being a problem, it would put the alleged comments (on declaring the plane as a gift) "not to worry about it" on shaky ground. Hanson isn't the brightest spark out there, but she's very far from being an idiot also.

Just doesn't seem to add up, and be careful, she's also clever enough to let it run for a bit for her own benefit.

• Agree 1