Is Hanson Breaking Our (very very special) RAA Rules Flying Around the Country

SSCBD

Quote - AAP - Tuesday, 4 April 2017

One Nation's Queensland leader says he's not aware how the party acquired the use of a private plane, but it played by electoral rules.

The ABC's Four Corners on Monday night reported money provided by Victorian property developer Bill McNee was used to buy a light plane which is insured in the name of Pauline Hanson's chief of staff James Ashby.

The Jabiru aircraft which bears the party logo and Senator Hanson's image has been frequently used by Mr Ashby, a trained pilot, to fly his boss to regional areas.

Former Queensland One Nation treasurer Ian Nelson told the program he urged Senator Hanson and Mr Ashby to declare the plane as a gift but was told not to worry about it.

Mr Nelson said Senator Hanson had told him it was her plane.

Queensland One Nation state leader Steve Dickson said his party had met its obligations to declare donations.

"I can't give you all the details on how James has come by his plane - if he's bought it personally, if it's been a part of some sort of a donation - but what I can say is we are playing by the rules," Mr Dickson told Sky News on Tuesday.

Four Corners also reported some One Nation candidates had been required to use Mr Ashby's printing company for their posters, pamphlets and corflutes.

Mr Dickson said he had signed a candidate contract which required he commit $3500 to the party, but he was not aware of a link with Mr Ashby's business.

"I can go through whoever I like," he said.

We try to get best value for money."

Mr Dickson, a former Liberal National Party MP who quit to join Senator Hanson's party, described the ABC program as a "stitch up" featuring disgruntled former officials and candidates.

Asked how influential Mr Ashby was in the party, Mr Dickson said he was "an element of the organisation".

Greens democracy spokeswoman Lee Rhiannon said there was a strong case for federal and state electoral commissions to investigate the political donations and gifts received by One Nation.

"How Senator Pauline Hanson has had access to a small plane for campaign purposes should have been reported," she told AAP on Tuesday.

"There are clear rules that require politicians and political parties to disclose such gifts.

"If there is a failure to accurately disclose on the parliamentary register of members' interests or to the Australian Electoral Commission surely there should be repercussions."

Senator Hanson has declined to comment.

But she told Sky News in January she provided fuel for the aircraft out of her own pocket.

"I've still got my plane, well the party's plane, but all the trips I've done in that since the election I've filled it up myself," she said.

One Nation declared a payment of $1187 noted as "Jabiru aircraft service" in its Electoral Commission of Queensland party disclosure return for the first half of 2016.

The disclosure return was signed by Senator Hanson's brother-in-law Greg Smith, who the form said was the "party agent".

• Like 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Private operation if owned or hired by a company and used to fly only employees of that company by a company employee pilot.

Is One-Nation a company, and is he an employee?

rgmwa

• More 1

Looks like the usual journalistic BS to me. Are pollies exempt from flying in an RAAus planes. It's not worth a fortune whichever way you look at it .But I suppose it's good enough to make a few headlines short of WW3 being declared.

• Agree 3
  • Winner 1

So - unless Ashby is a certified Instructor, and they are on AT LEAST a TIF - what is Hanson doing n the LHS?: Labor refers One Nation to Australian Electoral CommissionThis looks like a definite breach of the regs. to me.

I could be wrong but I think the rules stated some thing like it doesn't matter whether it's left or right seat but the rule states you must have full access to all controls and instruments.

• Agree 1

It looks like she is enjoying flying.

Maybe she could be a good ally of RAAus and GA in Aus, and push to significantly cut the bureaucracy, unnecessary medical requirements and cost to Private flying in Australia.

We can always dream cant we?

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Haha 1

Maybe she could be a good ally of RAAus and GA in Aus, and push to significantly cut the bureaucracy, unnecessary medical requirements and cost to Private flying in Australia.We can always dream cant we?

Unless there's a sudden influx of Muslim recreational pilots, I don't like your chances of her giving a tinker's cuss about private flying in Australia.

• Agree 6

I wonder how much she has saved taxpayers by not charging Business Class Airfares for travel done in the Jab.

The taxpayer doesn't pay for election expenses, except by way of a fixed per vote contribution and tax deductions to people/organisations making donations (did you agree to your company propping up politicians - or should they stick to their knitting?)

• Agree 2

The taxpayer doesn't pay for election expenses, except by way of a fixed per vote contribution and tax deductions to people/organisations making donations (did you agree to your company propping up politicians - or should they stick to their knitting?)

Has it been used since the election

Unless there's a sudden influx of Muslim recreational pilots, I don't like your chances of her giving a tinker's cuss about private flying in Australia.have you asked her I suppose thats a fact ? neil

I said.......

"......I don't like your chances......"

Blind freddy could see that I was stating this as an opinion, not a fact. I'm always open to being pleasantly surprised, or even disappointed, when my opinions are wrong (as they sometimes are). Rec flying is not high on the radar of most politicians, especially ones who seem to be preoccupied with other issues.

Instead of bagging Pauline for everything she says and does, why not lobby her with our concerns about the problems of those who engage in aviation for non-commercial reasons.

A lot of her political ideas might not be your cup of tea, and that's OK, but Pauline is not the Federal Member for an electorate. She is a Senator representing the State's Rights of Queensland, although this function of a Senator seems to have been forgotten by most of those with bums on red leather.

Aviation is vitally important to the well-being of the economy of the State of Queensland, so she should be enlightened by us about aviation matters in Queensland. If she can kick things along for Queensland, then there will be a flow-on effect for the other States and Territories.

Remember, brown snakes aren't completely without merit. They do keep the rats and mice numbers down. The same applies to radical Senators.

Old Man Emu

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Winner 3

Gotta laugh... Pauline tootling around in a cheap Jabiru and we have an up roar....

Couldn't fine any threads on Sussan Ley hiring twins for 6 and 7 grand a pop....... But maybe that's ok because she is GA commercial....

And yes, I know she lost her job....

‘They’re not sipping champagne’

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1