And the Press drones on .....

Looks like Pauline Hanson is being given a media trial for doing exactly what thousands of private citizens have been doing without prosecution.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Like her or not, if CASA initiates a prosecution for what she has done, and the illegality is still to be proved, then we can reasonably expect our Magistrates Courts to be clogged with similar prosecutions.

Any law enforcement officer with a modicum of common sense would be expected to apply discretion when dealing with anyone found doing what Pauline did, and simply tell the person that the activity was illegal and to cease forthwith.

Common sense dictates that launching a prosecution for any offence is the last resort. The first step is to prevent continuation of the actual offence.

Old Man Emu

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OME, although aircraft related, you know what happens if Hansen is mentioned in this forum.

Oh yeah! The point I really wanted to make was that the Media always adopts a "holier than thou" attitude to the behaviour of everyone else, but never condemns its own questionable behaviour.

I suppose that is this pick-and-choose bias in reporting events that I rile at.

OME

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Do we know that the law has been broken, or is it just because she is the politician we all must hate?

Would you want a mate of yours fined for breaking the law or would you hope that he would just get ticked off.

• Like 1

If it was a 'muzzie' (only using that term as it was the one you used FT) it wouldn't have even made the news unless they had some ordinance attached!

Personally I think for similar offences (if the law has been broken) that aren't done maliciously and don't result in injury should be dealt with a warning for the first offence.

• Agree 2

CASA hasn't resolved the issue about whether or not James was acting as a commercial pilot when ferrying tarpauline around the state campaigning (spoiler, he was), so he deserves the fine for letting dumbo fly a drone so close to a building.

• Haha 1

It seems that the feeling here is that calling for the full weight of the Law to fall on a person for such a trivial offence is bad, and that the call is being made only because of the position of the person involved in this particular incident.

By the way, the flight seems to have been conducted well above an open space, and not over any building. Would it have been wrong if she had been standing on the ground and the drone was at the height it was when the operator was on the balcony?

Whilst it may be true that people are making a bigger deal because of the particular person, I suspect there are also people defending her because of who she is. The big question people have to ask themselves is how would they react to a regular person posting such a clip. I strongly suspect that especially of an aviation forum that there would have been more criticism of drone pilots transgressing the rules. What it comes down to is she should be treated by the law as any ordinary citizen would be treated. Apart from what the regs say it does seem to me to be irresponsible or at the very least not well thought out. If it were to fall on someone, I guess it would not cause great injury unless it perhaps fell on a car and startled the driver but it sure would be bad for the reputation of responsible drone pilots. As a resident of an apartment, I would probably not like a drone flying past my window. Anyway, the point I want to make is although it may seem unfair for it to be in the papers, the point is was it in contravention of the regs? was it irresponsible? What would be the normal sanction in such cases, if it is usual to give a warning then so be it if a fine then that's what should happen.

The identity of the person flying the drone does not make it worse but it sure should not diminish it either.

Just to be clear, IF an offense has been committed, I would have no problem with a warning and some education if that is what normally happens.

Perhaps this is why it is not considered a smart thing to do?

Drone plummets from skyscraper on maiden flight when propeller falls off | Daily Mail Online

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

There is the question of the notoriety of the person involved in the action. She is a Senator and perhaps, being on the public payroll as a LAWmaker it may be appropriate that her actions are held to a higher level of scrutiny. It is incumbent on parliamentarians to be aware of their public profile and to act accordingly. The body politic stand at historically low levels of approval. Who is to blame for this? Why blame the press for someone's irresponsible action?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The problem is the Hanson supporters actually want a corrupt and incompetent person with a disregard for the law in power, they can't see how Hanson is just another politician saying anything to get elected.

• Winner 1