Not how to land ...

Little bit of a whoopsy. The drop off in the runway doesn't help. Glad I wasn't it. Nev

Agree; perhaps the brakes failed; down hill, rolling and prop turning; it would have got exciting quickly. He looked to have it down nice and straight and seemed to purposely turn off onto the grass; maybe in an attempt to slow things using the grass?. Also picked up speed when he nosed it over to reduce height in the final stages getting to the round out height. Great recovery and lucky to have good video of it to share around. Also he should have decided on a go around considering it looks like he was about half way along the strip and passing the last of the flat section.

• Agree 1

Yeah, well, it's nice to be nice about it, but it's just another example of incomplete training.

Landing on a strip like that, rather than being a drop off in the runway, must be treated as an upslope landing at the other end. You cannot possibly land on the downslope part of it. Brakes have nothing to do with it, the downslope would always keep the machine flying unless you stalled it and had it pinned right at the top, and his 'technique' didn't provide that.

Landing on runways with significant dips or humps in the centre require thought, consideration and applied technique. In the case of the runway shown in the video above, there should be no intention to touch down before the beginning of the upslope unless you could stop before the downslope.

That means a careful approach flown over the keys, maintaining a low and slow controlled flight throughout the downslope and an unusually rapid flare to the upslope, with power application as required.

AND - if it was me, I would have landed downwind instead, because the upslope that way is much greater and with practice it would be easier to stop, but the emphasis is on the word 'practice'.

Hopefully we all knew that anyway ...

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

Having an audience doesn't help...... Too high, too close and that silly little swoop probably added 10 kts....

As stated above, it really needed to put down right at the start....

• Like 1

The downhill part of that runway should be considered not to exist.. As HITC said it's so steep as to make it unsuitable to land on as you would float forever, if it went forever. A go around from near the bottom wouldn't be worth thinking about either. A place like this one has to be assessed well before actually doing it, with a give it away place firmly decided on well ahead of the actuality The approach was to hot to ever be a goer there. Nev.

I thought an example of what not to do lucky not to stall during the go around. After rotation stay in ground effect till some speed is built up.

Lucky to have a high lift wing in that machine. Those swerves both ways made me cringe just watching at that speed. Does that pole at the end have wires, he displaced threshold suggests an obstacle at that end.

Yes a scary one alright, the sudden nose down after clearing the trees might have got him/her close to the deck alright but gained an awful lot of flying speed in the process.

Certainly a different approach technique needed for that strip and yes the uphill tailwind would have been a good option or a slipping approach.

But consider this looked like a fly in it could well have been a first time at this strip as well so an earlier go round decision might have been a better choice.

Most of our grass runways here in the Dordogne (and some of our hard ones too) are like the one in the vid. They are referred to as 'trouée unique' or 'altiport' as you always land up the slope and take off down whatever the wind is doing. Here's a link to our home airfield (sorry it's in French)

http://malbec-ulm.rf.gd/pdf/LF2467.pdf

That guy was crackers trying to land down that slope, especially after coming in hot the way he did and was lucky to have got away with it as he made the decision to go around way too late and nearly dropped both wings trying to get back up. As we all know, in a Savannah that's slow!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Talking of landing at French altiports puts me in mind of this Fred Peuzin video; worth another look in this context:

"La Salette is one of the most difficult and most technical airfields of the south Alps and few airmen venture there. Several accidents took place there, mainly because of side exits or too short landing, but there have never been deaths. Thus the main risk is to break some wood or to twist of sheet steel. The missed approach can be very late decided during flight, there is no effect of funnel as on other altisurfaces. We can decide even there once on ground if we arrive with too much speed at the top of the dome, which is shown in this video. The only difficulty in this case is to find the way to the axis of take-off in a place where the convexity of the profile leads to a very difficult visibility. The axis of landing is directed to 190 ° while the axis of take-off is 210 °. It is thus necessary in case of go around on ground, to turn at the top of 20 ° to the right if we do not want to break the plane (big slope to the left, bushes to the right!) to plan this eventuality, the mountain pilot will beforehand have taken a mark far off (summit) to facilitate this alignment. This video was shot in the morning of October 25th, 2017. We had left with my father this morning there for outdoor day mountain. The conditions being optimal this day there, my father wanted to make his first landing for La Salette by benefiting from my experience and from my friendly supervision. The approach was led well, but some kph of excess at the flare and a delay of application of brakes made us arrive too fast at the top of the dome. We shouted together "Go Around !" what proves that we were in phase. The fact of pushing the throttle control from idle to full gas all at once surprised the engine which began to suffocate, the full power returned only to the rotation. Incident to be meditated on the functioning of our engines (Continental O-200 on the speedjojo) which is not abnormal but which the brutal application of the throttle control under stress can engender."

• Like 3

There didn't look to be much wind if any but as rollerball said at that place I'd always land up the hill. The upslope at the other end is way to short to consider landing there. The problem began from the decision to land that way, then to come over the trees high and put the nose down picking up speed so he had no hope of getting the wheels down with reduced speed before the drop off. That is when the power should have been applied for a new approach made in the opposite direction.

The tailwheel landing in Garfly's first vid is exquisite, much better than I can usually do with my tricycle. Not only does he have to get the speed and touchdown point dead right, he also has to allow for what must appear through the screen to be an extreme angle of flare against the upslope to get the three-pointer. Beautifully done.

Frederic Peuzin drives an Airbus for a living but you can see from his blog and his videos that he takes his petits avions flying very seriously, too.

His son is a master of drone videography and the film productions are something of a family affair.

Their latest has many more great examples of the kind of strips - and techniques - we're discussing in this thread.

In particular take a look at Saint Medard de Presque at around 05:35

SPEEDJOJO

• Like 1

Galinat at around 3 mins in that vid is my closest local 'free' airfield - 'free' because you can fly in there without prior permission. I go in there a lot including last weekend and kept my X-Air there for a while. I have quite a few videos of take offs and landings there, but at 'trouée unique' 450 metres it's one of the easier ones. Our home field (Malbec LF2467) is only 160 metres (a bit more actually) isn't 'free' - no landing fees in common with all ULM (ultralight) fields in France but you have to have prior permission and sign an indemnity beforehand as the runway is rather short.

On the 'grand opening' day in 2015 one club member who flew in from Castillonnès in the Lot et Garonne broke the undercarriage of his Skyranger.

Here's a vid of me flying to the opening day from Galinat in my old X-Air

• Like 1

Papuan ski-jump runwayimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIDjDVK3jYOs6h7lEPw0CnsL8SyxAMKlv78fg5saBeHWTRA-j6

That's not Tapini is it?

If it is, there was (back in the early 1970s) the remains of a Caribou up near form where the photo was taken, that had "a few issues".

Apart from that, once airborne, turn right (otherwise you run into the mountain range over the other side of the (narrow) valley) and barrel on to Moresby.

That's not Tapini is it?If it is, there was (back in the early 1970s) the remains of a Caribou up near form where the photo was taken, that had "a few issues".

Apart from that, once airborne, turn right (otherwise you run into the mountain range over the other side of the (narrow) valley) and barrel on to Moresby.

Definitely not. Flew into Tapini,Woitape from 1967 to 1970 with STOL and it was a far wider strip than this one. Pretty sure this one is in West Papua/Irian Jaya or whatever they call it these days. The PC6, (Susi Air), is the same one that was in the U-tube vids of 'Most Dangerous' flying or airstrips.

The Caribou that crashed here in '68 or '69 took its gear off on the threshold and slid into the RHS drain about 300m into the strip - a bad undershoot due to lack of experience in false horizon effect. (RAAF would never ask the unwashed commercial industry for any info/advice on getting in/out of these places).

• Like 1

Definitely not. Flew into Tapini,Woitape from 1967 to 1970 with STOL and it was a far wider strip than this one. Pretty sure this one is in West Papua/Irian Jaya or whatever they call it these days. The PC6, (Susi Air), is the same one that was in the U-tube vids of 'Most Dangerous' flying or airstrips.The Caribou that crashed here in '68 or '69 took its gear off on the threshold and slid into the RHS drain about 300m into the strip - a bad undershoot due to lack of experience in false horizon effect. (RAAF would never ask the unwashed commercial industry for any info/advice on getting in/out of these places).

There was another Caribou "incident" out of Wewak in 1978 (or 77). It was looking for an airstrip in one of the valleys and found it.

Unfortunately it was the wrong valley 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif and once landed, they couldn't get back up.

I was down from Mendi for the weekend and ran into a cousin who was in the RAAF and he was leading the Recovery Party.

TAA had operated a fleet of Bristol Freighters into places like those from the early 60's . Obtained from Pakistan in near new condition. Everything had to be transported by air as roads didn't exist. Qantas operated Junkers in the same role prior.. Nev