Double fatality in Gyrocopter crash into sea, Busselton, W.A.

What is the method if getting such information to Owners?  Nev

Usually emailed, the distributor/ agent is also asked to contact owners directly, as usually they still have the best contacts.

At the end of it I would near guarantee they knew the aircraft was grounded, another reason why I stopped instructing, people won’t listen.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gyro is Australian designed and built. The proprietor sometimes uses the hangar I rent for storage of assembled aircraft prior to distribution.

I've got to be a little careful and sensitive with my words because of the recent deaths.

When I last saw him I inquired about his Christmas. He put his hands to his face and shook. After the Orange incident he had been around Australia and the world inspecting and test flying the aircraft he manufactured. He also indicated that the so called parts that had failed had been independently retested and far exceeded design. This latest incident will be devastating to him.

• Informative 1

No doubt. Most people don't intentionally make  planes that "fall out of the sky" (An expression I hate). When you get involved with aviation you have little control over what people do with your product in a very variable  environment... I hope he's OK. Nev

• Agree 3

The same happens on motorcycles and doesnt even rate a mention. 

Some 'kid' get a 1,000 cc rocket, and kills himself the first week and it barely makes the news, whereas, if it happens in an aircraft its front pages everywhere and people wanting to sue.

Why is that ?    I dont understand.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Some 'kid' get a 1,000 cc rocket, and kills himself the first week and it barely makes the news, whereas, if it happens in an aircraft its front pages everywhere and people wanting to sue.

Oversupply of lawyers trawling for income?

It's because there's a fascination with flight, and the ultimate fear is crashing to the ground with sudden death, and often what appears a terrible death, the result.

It's even more fascinating because the people who fly are generally "high-flyers" in society. The media love it and play on it. 

But, as regards motorcyclists, very few people care about motorcyclists being killed, because they're seen as "smart-arses" who like to ignore road rules, slipping between vehicles up the centre of lanes, always doing 20kmh over the limit, and always wanting to be out front.

I was at a street market last night, the traffic control people block off the kerbside lane and just leave one lane for traffic, while the kerbside lane is blocked off for the pedestrians to mill about on.

But one smart-arse motorcyclist decided he could ignore cones and rode his bike up the kerbside lane inside the cones, just so he could beat all the line of banked up cars.

I felt like kicking him off his bike as he roared past. He's a cert to wipe himself out within a year or two - and the reason why motorcyclists are largely hated.

Not to mention the Harleys with 130dB exhausts, who just have to blow your eardrums, because they need to show off.

Except in the local paper paper, where apparently he's a much loved genius, cut down in the prime of life and would have been a contributor to world peace or something if he had survived. 074_stirrer.gif.f7f0365dccba2c0c4d074e832eec2536.gif

But, as regards motorcyclists, very few people care about motorcyclists being killed, because they're seen as "smart-arses" who like to ignore road rules, slipping between vehicles up the centre of lanes, always doing 20kmh over the limit, and always wanting to be out front.

As long as they're not slowing down afterwards and holding you up, who cares? They finally made "filtering" (lanesplitting) legal here. I can't speak for W.A. but drivers in QLD seem to believe that they are entitled to force everyone to stay behind them regardless. In heavy traffic it's almost always some truckie (probably because they're the only ones that use their mirrors)that sees you coming and tries to move over and block you, never mind the fact that you will never make a difference to to anything they do. They just want to stop you because they can.

I've personally known a few truck drivers who actually are "smart-arses" and openly admit (boast) to deliberately obstructing traffic.

Wanting to kick someone simply because they went around you says a lot about the Australian public. Just a variation of "tall poppy syndrome".

That said, I agree entirely about the loud bikes. They carry on with absolute bullsh1t about loud pipes saving lives. The statistics apparently say otherwise. Most motorcycle fatalities are single vehicle crashes.

So true, FB. I knew a young bloke who shoehorned a Kawasaki Mach IV (750cc) engine into a Mach III. The standard frame could barely handle the lethal power of the 500cc engine. 

Shortly afterwards, he ended his days on a fast corner on the Pacific Highway not far south of Kempsey.

Onetrack! I don’t know about people who fly generally being ‘high flyers in society’ Speaking for myself as a 71 year old retiree I am constantly wondering how much longer I can afford this ‘sport.’ I no longer try to justify it because that is impossible. Point is that most fliers that I know certainly are not ‘High Flyers’ in society. I have in the past (In England) met some wealthy prats who fly because they are rich and not because they love it! but all whom I know in Australia are in it for love.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

I agree, most people I know who fly do it because they love flying not because they have plenty of or any money. Most are very ordinary people who have worked hard for what they have. I don't even think of the cost even though I am retired and have no income to speak of but never think twice about anything I need to spend on the plane. As the saying goes there is no point being the richest person in the cemetery. I hope by the time I get there I'll be the poorest but I will be happy that I pursued my passion to the best of my ability while I was above ground.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Wanting to kick someone simply because they went around you says a lot about the Australian public.

No, I didn't want to kick him because of tall poppy syndrome, arrogance, or general cantankerousness. I thought about kicking him off his bike to stop him, and to give him a lesson that cones and traffic lollipops, to divert traffic, are there for a reason, the road rules that apply to everyone else, apply to him, too - and that he was effectively riding through an exclusive pedestrian area (same as a footpath) - and he could have easily mown down a kid, a dog, or a senior - and come a cropper himself, as well as injuring someone.

I agree, there's plenty of smart-arses amongst the truck drivers and car drivers - but young motorcyclists seem to have turned it into a fine art, with total disobeyance of road rules at every turn.

By far their greatest weakness is failing to understand, that screwing the throttle on full, on takeoff from the lights, and hitting 100kmh within 80-100M, will soon ensure a short lifespan.

We've got a roadside memorial just up the road for a 19 yr old motorcyclist who did just that.

The problem was, as he crested the rise in the 4 lane road at 100kmh (in a 60kmh zone), there was a bloke turning right into the shopping centre.

The motorcyclist slammed into him, he went over the bonnet and landed head-first on the bitumen, and he was history.

But everyone wailed about what a fantastic bloke he was. AFAIC, I don't have any sympathy for him, it's the Darwin selection process at work.

But I do have sympathy for the parents and family left behind, that he had little regard for. The problem is, I guess, he had little regard for his own life, let alone anyone elses.

• Like 1

Darwin selection process at work

My sentiments exactly..

I generally have no concerns about motorcyclists (or ultralight pilots) killing themselves, because generally they don’t take innocent people with them.

Just getting back onto topic, I heard this morning that there was a brand new rotor mast found sitting on the workbench of their hangar.  I guess the significance of this will be determined by the investigators in due course.

• Informative 1

Just getting back onto topic, I heard this morning that there was a brand new rotor mast found sitting on the workbench of their hangar.  I guess the significance of this will be determined by the investigators in due course.

That is sad, if I owned one of these I would be fitting a fixed mast. Simplicity is usually best.

• Agree 1

Sorry Virago, I am sure that this was not the case...

" , the road rules that apply to everyone else, apply to him, too - and that he was effectively riding through an exclusive pedestrian area (same as a footpath) - and he could have easily mown down a kid, a dog, or a senior - and come a cropper himself, as well as injuring someone. "

NOT every one has to abide by the road rules !.

CYCLIST, Can have passengers in a trailer legally, No license, Rego, Warrant of fitness for the road, or insurance. Can ride on the opposite side of the road, (facing oncoming traffic ), No lights or reflectors at night.

And the list goes on into infinity.

Do not have to read the "Hy-way code book or abide by it.

Yes I have a pushy.

spacesailor

• Agree 1

As a motorcyclist of over 30 years, not all of us are idiots just like not all car or truck drivers are f**kwits.

There is a huge difference between a crashed bike and the gyro. If you came across a bike accident where the frame came apart and the headstock and thus the front forks and wheel separated from the bike whilst in use and didn't occur from hitting a solid object, then it would be similar.

It is incredibly rare for frame failure to cause a bike crash. If it was to happen you can be sure it would be a very big deal and the model would be grounded instantly. Modern bike frames are extremely strong and very overengineered. Just like in a aircraft accident it is very apparent if a frame breaks apart to cause a accident. Akin to a wing falling off.

And lane splitting increases the traffic flow and reduces travel time greatly for a bike. It also means you are in front of the traffic which is the safest place to be, given the tintop drivers looking at GPS, playing with radios, bloody phones, doing makeup etc.

If you drive and don't like bikes been faster in traffic from lane splitting, simple get a bike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

I passed my bike test in 1967 & have owned a bike most of my adult life. When I lived in England I went for my Advanced Motorcyclists ticket. This entailed approx 18 months of Saturdays, mostly riding one-on-one with police class 1 motorcycle mentors. I was taught that the purpose of the advanced motorcycling course was to 'make progress safely'. As part of this, I was taught to filter between lanes of slow moving or stationary traffic.

I doubt these experienced bikers would appreciate themselves or their students being called "smart-arses" because they were exploiting the capabilities of their bikes.

Car drivers have the benefit of a roof over their head to keep dry, aircon in summer to keep cool, and a heater in winter to stay warm. Bikes don't have these advantages, but they are more manoeuvrable and require less road space. 

I don't object to car drivers' comfort, and it is not reasonable for them to object to my ability to make progress just because they can't.

Bruce

• Like 2

Most motorcycle "gear" (attire) is not good to be in when you are stationary, and the heat is coming up from the engine, or heating your legs on the older stuff. If some rider moves up through the traffic and gets away at the lights it's no skin off a motorists nose provided they don't wipe off a mirror on the way. Many mirrors get wiped out by other 4+ wheel vehicles like semi's and Luton Peak vans . Every bike is one less car on the road so slow you up.. Nev

The great god thread drift is rearing its head again, even though 2 people died, its all about pontificating about things that have nothing to do with the main tragic subject.   Oh well, a little respect guys would help.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Most motorcycle "gear" (attire) is not good to be in when you are stationary, and the heat is coming up from the engine, or heating your legs on the older stuff. If some rider moves up through the traffic and gets away at the lights it's no skin off a motorists nose provided they don't wipe off a mirror on the way. Many mirrors get wiped out by other 4+ wheel vehicles like semi's and Luton Peak vans . Every bike is one less car on the road so slow you up.. Nev

When was the last time you saw a Luton Peak Biggles?

Well this father & son paid the ultimate price for thinking they knew better with the grounding in place.

Humans are the one thing that can make stupid decisions and very costly ones at that.

Such a waste of life that should not have been.

• Agree 1

The gyro is Australian designed and built. The proprietor sometimes uses the hangar I rent for storage of assembled aircraft prior to distribution.

I've got to be a little careful and sensitive with my words because of the recent deaths.

When I last saw him I inquired about his Christmas. He put his hands to his face and shook. After the Orange incident he had been around Australia and the world inspecting and test flying the aircraft he manufactured. He also indicated that the so called parts that had failed had been independently retested and far exceeded design. This latest incident will be devastating to him.

How does the 'far exceeded design' correlate with the latest incident?

If the craft was grounded is the design of any of the rotor head components relevant? Failure in one of the rotor head cheek plates (through a pair of bolt holes), is the cause.