Small plane missing Victoria 18/09/22

Today Update : To breaking news on a light plane missing in Victoria’s high country. The aircraft was flying over the Lucyvale area near Tallangatta when communication was lost. #7NEWS

The weather today in North Eastern Victoria has been putrid.

• Informative 1

The aircraft was located around 10am this morning.

The crash site was at 2706 Tallangatta Valley Creek Road..

RSCU440 is orbinting overhead to assit with photographs of the scene and also to assist winch crews....

You will see the media crews jump on it soon as 9News is up there now !

Another weather related crash. We don't seem to learn that light aircraft are very vulnerable when there is low cloud, high winds, rain. hail etc especially flying VFR. The Cessna near Brisbane recently, bad weather, the Jabiru near Townsville also bad weather AFAIK, & another reported just today. Don't know the circumstances of that one yet.

• Agree 2
  • Winner 1

13 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

Would icing have been a problem in those conditions.  

I noticed on this site only a few days ago NAIPS reports being disrespected in favour of online general weather reports.

NAIPS is the system for aviators and part of flight planning. There's nothing wrong with using other reports as well or local camera vision as well, but NAIPS has the aviation-related details which may not be considered important by general Met reports.

To see this, you could pull a few NAIPS reports for your area when the weather is bad and compare he report with the popular web based reports at the same time.

A few years ago one recreational pilot was killed when his airctraft broke up in flight. The NAIPS report had warned of severe turbulence. Complete waste of a life in that case.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

The BoM site has the GAF and GWPT that NAIPS has (that's where the NAIPS stuff  comes from !) , but the BoM site doesnt have all the other info that you are required to consider before flying

• Agree 1

It is about time NAIPS forecasts were published in English not the code we are all forced to learn & later forget. The excuse that it is to conform to ICAO rules does not hold water in the electronic age. Yes there are plain English translations available & have been for about 15 years or more but this still doesn't mean our regulators should persist with outdated and potentially dangerous processes through pilot reluctance to use them or mis-interpretation. I use NAIPS when filing a flight plan but also check Windy for comparison.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Informative 1

50 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

It is about time NAIPS forecasts were published in English not the code we are all forced to learn & later forget. The excuse that it is to conform to ICAO rules does not hold water in the electronic age.

It makes as much sense (but is potential more dangerous) as delivering law and medicine lectures to students in Latin. 

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

2 hours ago, rodgerc said:

It makes as much sense (but is potential more dangerous) as delivering law and medicine lectures to students in Latin. 

A lot of flyers tell you they went to YKBS though.

3 hours ago, RFguy said:

The BoM site has the GAF and GWPT that NAIPS has (that's where the NAIPS stuff  comes from !) , but the BoM site doesnt have all the other info that you are required to consider before flying

I don’t know that there is a word for word transfer from BOM or all the digital sites would have it but I haven’t checked multiple reports side by side. When I started flying there was a MET man at Moorabbin Airport. The Met report telexed to the airfields would be up on the notice board and you could sit down with the Met man and go over the telex and your route. That was stopped to lower costs but I couldn’t see the interpretation factor for aviation dropped out.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Informative 1

It is not that hard to learn MET acronyms, only patience and some practice is needed. The more you check the weather, the more you know..

To understand GAF, check this video 

To decode TAF, you can tap in your EFB and it will decode for you (the screenshot below is from AvPlan)

1081275281_Screenshot_20220920-122328_AvPlanEFB.thumb.jpg.c3ff0c1d621416e1a1feb5487b3fc1f3.jpg

Finally, if you come across the "tricky" TAF/GAF feel free to post it, I am sure everyone would help.

Edited by Bosi72
  • Informative 2
  • Winner 1