Small plane missing Victoria 18/09/22

1 hour ago, Bosi72 said:

It is not that hard to learn MET acronyms, only patience and some practice is needed. The more you check the weather, the more you know..

To understand GAF, check this video 

To decode TAF, you can tap in your EFB and it will decode for you (the screenshot below is from AvPlan)

1081275281_Screenshot_20220920-122328_AvPlanEFB.thumb.jpg.c3ff0c1d621416e1a1feb5487b3fc1f3.jpg

Finally, if you come across the "tricky" TAF/GAF feel free to post it, I am sure everyone would help.

Still pretty chilly there then

I can remember flying to an airport about 200 miles away and about 30 miles out I heard a Qlink flight saying the met condition was CAVOK

I didn't like the sound of CAVOK so diverted about 60 miles and sat there for 30 minutes then proceeded to intended destination - it was good flying weather ! ............................... (a little bit of paranoia can go a long way !)

I know what CAVOK means - should i happen to hear it again

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

14 minutes ago, johnm said:

I can remember flying to an airport about 200 miles away and about 30 miles out I heard a Qlink flight saying the met condition was CAVOK

I didn't like the sound of CAVOK so diverted about 60 miles and sat there for 30 minutes then proceeded to intended destination - it was good flying weather ! ............................... (a little bit of paranoia can go a long way !)

Don’t get Paranoid….. that will get you in trouble 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnm said:

You would have been in good company with anyone who hasn't passed the MET module.I understand the joke, but it has a special meaning to be conveyed by radio as against the hundreds of variable radio responses if it didn't exist.

Just about all of the people who are no longer with us missed its antonyms, and that's not so funny.

Although we don't use telex for communication any more,some of the the telex phrases, being very short are better for radio even today.

On a day when the weather has deteriorated during your flight, or is patchy and you are flying out in the middle of Qld, NSW, Vic, SA etc. what are you going to say when CTR asks your for a "SHORT MET REPORT", which has a special format?

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

From reading that article he was obviously someone used to taking calculated risks. That is living close to the edge and though it had served him well for a long time this was one last risk too far. RIP to a great adventurer.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

From memory the forecast included stratus to 1500, 4000m rain, ocsnl TS, and a sigmet for severe ice above 4500ft.

‘He would have been stuck in the valley heading NW and any deviation gets you killed. As for the alleged destination - Wollongong, that would be legally impossible in terms of remaining VFR over the Snowys, plus the freezing level was. below LSALT.

‘’Where did he get his weather info and how skilled was he in interpreting it?

Edited by walrus
  • Informative 4

10 minutes ago, walrus said:

From memory the forecast included stratus to 1500, 4000m rain, ocsnl TS, and a sigmet for severe ice above 4500ft.

‘He would have been stuck in the valley heading NW and any deviation gets you killed. As for the alleged destination - Wollongong, that would be legally impossible in terms of remaining VFR over the Snowys, plus the freezing level was. below LSALT.

‘’Where did he get his weather info and how skilled was he in interpreting it?

There was another mt beauty pilot on the news who decided to cancel his plans and leave his plane in the hangar because of the weather conditions.

• Informative 1

The accident aircraft was found on a track that would have taken it just north of the Canberra control zone. A plan to fly down the valley from Mt Beauty to Albury and then roughly follow the Hume to Wollongong would be prudent even in fine weather conditions. This would add only 20mins flight time.

Screenshot_20220922-053825_Maps.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

This is just sad.

It's a tragedy that she only got a year with him — they were just so perfectly suited, perhaps more than any couple I've ever met in my life." Brad Harris, a close friend a collaborator, says Mathew Farrell had marriage papers with him when he died.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-20/mount-beauty-plane-crash-victim-mathew-farrell-mourned/101458134?utm_medium=social&utm_content=sf260418576&utm_campaign=fb_abc_news&utm_source=m.facebook.com&sf260418576=1&fbclid=IwAR1wVo93Xpa-GN-tCAVA5L2Ui5UX31SF6PCw857vRHYaVdVmRTgg6JKqQ4o

Edited by shafs64
spelling
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

after reading that article. lots of failures eh ?

a litany of serious failures  from one end to the other. One shakes their head and rolls their eyes.

Now , how come this one has in inquest, but most RA accidents do not get one ?

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

RFg there's nothing new about that situation. Where cost is a  limiting Factor the less important situations get left out first. They rarely investigate Fatals with aerobatic s either if only the pilot is involved. Nev

Edited by facthunter
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RFguy said:

a litany of serious failures  from one end to the other. One shakes their head and rolls their eyes.

Depends on the Coroner. We had a fatality in Speedway in SA on Adelaide International. The president of the car Association got on TV blasting the track for being rough causing the fatality and used a video of the Ambulance bouncing to support his statement. The Coroner ruled that out in his report noting That the car became airborne before that section of track and didn’t hit the ground until after the rough section and went on to give a good description of the cause of fatality. Other Coroners might have said Death due to impacts from rotations.

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

People directly involved can ask questions and make comment to be considered by the coroner about the circumstance and then the coroner will decide if he will seek information about it to assist him in his finding.

• Informative 1

remember matt was in this group looking for an airfield he could fly to around melbourne to commute from mt beauty for work.

i think he had only just gained his pilot certificate then.

they are involving geoff wood the cfi. geoff passed away a few weeks ago. he was 81 years old and a highly experienced and respected instructor.  at the end of the day matt made a bad decision to take off when others didn't because of the weather on the day. thats not a training issue its common sense.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I wonder how many other pilots he regularly associated with, and how many peers imparted airmanship ? I think that's important for a newly minted pilot.

all my peers we talk about how easy it is to kill ourselves by various methods in an airplane-  and how we are not going to , how we've goign to avoid not doing so, and examine a range of factors to infinitum.  it's funny-serious talk.  It would all sound rather macabre to others, but not aviators.

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1