Pilot dies in light aircraft crash south of Townsville

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

May I please add my condolences to Ross's family, and to all his friends both on and off this forum.

Ross was one of the first forum members to warmly welcome me when I first tripped over this site whilst trolling the Avweb.

I never met the man, nor heard his voice, but the TERRIFIC enthusiasm for flying he showed both in his warm, useful and friendy postings and his hard work with RAA and the encouragement to others to engage in flying are a measure of the man himself. I will neve know how many people he inspired with the flying "Bug" but I'll wager it was quite a few.

R.I.P. Ross Millard.

You will be sadly missed.

Phil Perry.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

I also never met Ross in person, and that will always be my loss.

I have always had the utmost respect for his friendliness, enthusiasm, encouragement and passion, which always shone through in his posts on this forum.

He willingly gave us all the benefit of his vast experience and dedication to our sport.

He was an inspiration to me too.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

I will think of him later today when I am suspended between Heaven and Earth.

I will miss you, Maj.

Gary

• Like 4

Like many here, I never met the man personally. I only knew of his commitment, patience, good humour, experience and his willingness to share these assets. Ross, may you rest in peace and soar with the eagles. Your influence extends far and wide and will continue to do so. My sincere condolences to your family and friends.

You will be sorely missed.

• Agree 5

A few of us were having a joke with Ross on Facebook stirring him up about his old cap, I only met him once at Old Station but we had a lot of talks on Facebook and few times on the phone but I did pick up on his humour...so here is the result of us stirring him up about his cap...We were all laughing when he showed us his new cap...001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

David

1639742167_RossNewCap.jpg.be3463907fafce64ec778a953b0f7780.jpg

1628882182_RossOldCap.jpg.5a22a0f652b479074728b2dd3a225824.jpg

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

He won't be forgotten. Each time I glance at my fuel pressure and flow gauges I will remember Ross- I bought them from him.

My most precious memory: after many lonely years building my little plane I finally made it to NatFly, expecting to know nobody. As I taxied to my camping spot Ross and Winsor68 must have recognised my baby from my avatar and ran over to say hello. I treasure the feeling of belonging that gave me.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 3

My most precious memory: after many lonely years building my little plane I finally made it to NatFly, expecting to know nobody. As I taxied to my camping spot Ross and Winsor68 must have recognised my baby from my avatar and ran over to say hello. I treasure the feeling of belonging that gave me.

OK:

That is so similar to my experience with Ross at Old Station fly in. Ross must have recognized my Nynja from my postings on the forum and elsewhere, and he called out to me (by name) as I walked past his camp on the flightline there. What followed was a series of very enjoyable encounters with a knowlegeable and charismatic character. I will remember him from that, always. IMHO He was one of Nature's gentlemen.

• Like 5
  • Agree 3

RIP Ross old mate, we had many a good chat, i'll miss you and your wisdom. You where always available when i wanted advice or a chat, even if I did spew in your plane going to Monto.I'm getting to the point of wondering if this is worth it.... we've lost so many good people in the last few years, which has contributed to my no longer flying.

What a senseless waste of human life.

What a shock when I signed into Rec Flying and read this news! I am still rubbing my eyes to weigh up whether this news is real, but sadly it is!

I never met Maj personally but, through this forum, have a feeling that I got to 'know' him pretty well. He always contributed in such a valuable way. He would have to be classed as being in the top ten of forum contributers who made sensible, reasoned and also humorous contributions. I will really miss Ross and I am absolutely certain he will be missed by many forum members!

Along with Hongie, I am shaken about this and thinking seriously whether to continue with recreational flying as a hobby. I can fully understand how you feel mate, as I feel the same way.

My sincere condolences to Ross' wife and family. This is a good reminder that we all need to be ready for eternity.

[Jesus said] "My sheep hear my voice and I know them, and they follow me: and I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish..." John 10: 27-28.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

I never knew Ross personally but when I contacted RAA to start the process of a review of the Op's Manual in regard to powered parachutes he contacted me personally stating if more members contacted the Board with their views they would have a better understanding of the needs of the members they represent, and pledged his support. Ross's passing will no doubt be felt far and wide in the aviation community and I would like to add my condolences to his family and friends..- Kev

• Agree 3
  • Informative 1

Shocking news. I can't add anything to what has already been said. I only knew Ross via the forum, but his character came through in his many posts. He will be sadly missed. My condolences to his family and friends.

rgmwa

• Agree 2

I treasure the time when Ross camped underwing close to me at Natfly Temora and I showed him over my homebuilt. The wisdom and enthusiasm he demonstrated is what our movement is all about. We all owe it to Ross to keep the enthusiasm alive. My thoughts go to his family- they have lost a great man.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

Major is one of these people who loved to meet and joke around with like minded people he adored his Lightwing and would fly off too spend time helping and showing others the joy of Avaition he took on the role of North Queensland rep spreading as much help and guidance as he could too all that took the time too chat keeping us in the north in the loop

I myself have known Major Millard From my early days of flying in the late eightys AUF days major was buzzing around in an old drifter even then he would make the trip to old station from Ingham And many times we would catch up over a few home brew at Bill starke field Woodstock " Ace field " where we would have a great time talking about our adventures .

I know I will miss his witty remarks and support that he gave me over my learning years of flying ,.

He has always been there for all my silly questions and lent a hand when needed

Mate you will always be my wingman and whenever I fly you be there . image.jpeg.0bbe14ee359ca301482b0b03ac54234f.jpeg

David See ... Me the big Bloke .....and Major Millard ..with his old Lightwing cap ............

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

At this stage I still can`t find the words to express what I feel other than to say, I`ve known Ross for many years, way back from the days that he came to the FNQUA, fly-in, Christmas parties at Pioneer Valey, on the Atherton Tablelands.

My deepest sympathy to family,friends and all those touched by the accident.

Not the best photo but it`s of a better, happier time, spent with Ross, on what he called "Franks favourite beach"...Ross on the right, Pud on the left.

122366258_20120818_04(Large).JPG.3a6c8c4f22685d62548e2e7a446eaebd.JPG

A very proud Ross.

Ross.jpg.9ea97c0be6ed79a0be244e86410dd7bb.jpg

RIP, Ross. Glad to have had you in my life.

Frank.

• Like 12
  • Caution 1

This is gutting. Ross was a colleague and friend back in the skydiving days at Wilton in the early 70s. His passion for sport aviation was evident then, and he never lost it. He survived the crash of a fully-loaded jump-aircraft and although it affected him deeply, he still retained his love of jumping. He was Alan Jay's rigger when Alan was building the "Parasport" equipment, some of the very first custom-built skydiving gear ever seen in Australia. He had seen so much and knew so much in sport avation he became a touchstone, a resource from whom a great many benefitted time and time again.

RIP my friend. Our little world is poorer for your loss.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Very sad news indeed. I met Ross some years back when I flew into Whitsunday Airport and have valued his friendship and guidance ever since. Sharing a beer with him at Old Station was something to look forward to. He had a very welcoming personality and a keen sense of humour. RIP Ross.

• Like 1