Should we go to Oshkosh?

pmccarthy

So, this disease is not communicable, yeah? Or is the PM immaculate. Look up *Leader* in the dictionary.

You don't need to do any of that; just look at the full cabinet press conference; the information is there.

The answer to this thread is also now very clear; No.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that my Oshkosh flight is cancelled by Qantas i would like to get my money back to spend on a caravan trip to Perth at the same time I was planning for Oshkosh. But I cannot find any way of contacting them on their website. They say don't bother to try unless your flight is in the next two days. Fair enough they must be run off their feet, but it seems reasonable that if they cancelled a flight I had booked back in January then i should be able to get my money back. I am afraid that they will go bankrupt before I see it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'll "bite" at this.

Ok, NOW they aren't covering Covid19 as a valid reason to cancel trips.

Say you booked it 12 months ago - totally unaware of CV19.

Now, they say they aren't flying to .... (where ever).

That's not YOUR fault.

Granted it is probably better to stay home. But as there are no flights, you should get your money back.

Of course the insurance companies will try everything to get out of paying.

But given you paid for it before this happened - and therefore wasn't in the equation - they can't really say "NO" to you.

But given you paid for it before this happened - and therefore wasn't in the equation - they can't really say "NO" to you.

Jetstar are giving credits to fly at a later time when you cancel.

The airlines are destaffing, Darwin was locked down yesterday, States and Territories will start to lock down cluster areas any time now.

I had persuaded Mrs PM to come to Oshkosh on her condition that we flew Business Class. The cost was a Very Big Number. I truly believe that I can kiss it goodbye. Qantas are not talking to anyone about their cancellations as far off as July and are not talking refunds. I suspect that they will be in the hands of an administrator before then. I will be standing in line behind their bankers. And not to mention the FF points I have not cashed in for years. Same thing happened when Ansett went broke and I lost 200,000 points. And Compass went broke and I lost three pre-booked return tickets to Sydney. Time flies, money flies, blowflies and butterflies.

• Informative 1

Vaccines only work for the strain they are created for. In the 2018-19 season 80% of all Flu vaccine injections were ineffective.

The vaccine may not have been as effective as hoped but to say "ineffective " is misleading. No vaccine confers 100% immunity and to add to this is the variable response of individual immune systems. I believe the flue vaccine gives some measure of protection, small in some year/people greater in other years/ people.

• Agree 1

Here is a link to the paper by Niel Ferguson et al that caused the UK government to do U turn in the last week, and is quite probably being used to review decisions in the US and countries all over the world:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

It's a longish read, but very readable for the layman (me).

They must have worked really hard to make it so, to make it absolutely clear what their findings were.

It's a model that predicts what the outcome will be if various actions are taken.

It's worth reading to the end to see what they are proposing.

And over what period. It certainly made me think............

• Informative 1

I had persuaded Mrs PM to come to Oshkosh on her condition that we flew Business Class. The cost was a Very Big Number. I truly believe that I can kiss it goodbye. Qantas are not talking to anyone about their cancellations as far off as July and are not talking refunds. I suspect that they will be in the hands of an administrator before then. I will be standing in line behind their bankers. And not to mention the FF points I have not cashed in for years. Same thing happened when Ansett went broke and I lost 200,000 points. And Compass went broke and I lost three pre-booked return tickets to Sydney. Time flies, money flies, blowflies and butterflies.

Have a look at your biking documents for a booking email number or link. (You mentioned you couldn’t find a contact a few days ago).

My daughter was able to get a credit for a deferred flight in about 5 minutes from Jetstar in a few months. Australia is going to need airlines when the lockdown ends and the airlines are likely to be contracted or refinanced.

Well, if things keep going as they are now - Sunday 22 March - Domestic flights are being cancelled.

Boarders are going to be blocked......

Social closeness rules mean you have to have 1.5m between you and "others".

Schools may get "early holidays" from Tuesday.

I think holidays will become virtual the way things are going.

From the ACCC web page:

My flight, cruise or tour has been cancelled. Am I entitled to a refund?

If your travel is cancelled the ACCC expects that you will receive a refund or other remedy, such as a credit note or voucher, in most circumstances.

However, if your travel is cancelled due to government restrictions, this impacts your rights under the consumer guarantees.

You may still be entitled to a refund under the terms and conditions of your ticket.

You should contact the business directly to request a refund or other remedy such as a credit note or voucher.

The ACCC encourages all businesses to treat consumers fairly in these exceptional circumstances.

Interestingly, the missus and I went to the Gold Coast from Jan 18th to Jan 29th to visit her son and wife. We stayed with them the whole time, at Burleigh Waters.

About 4 days after we arrived, the Missus developed a really bad dry cough, which then turned into a really bad dose of phlegmy coughing and extreme mucous production.

She was really crook, like she had a dose of the 'flu, but wasn't bedridden. We went to lots of places, mostly restaurants and pubs on the Gold Coast, while we were there.

She was sick for a week, and still coughing a bit, when we came home. We went business class all the way, via Virgin - direct Perth to Gold Coast, and via Sydney on the return, because Virgin no longer do Gold Coast to Perth direct.

She ended up going to the chemist on the Gold Coast to ask for Rikodeine - because we found that works best on really bad coughs. She said the chemist told her, when she was asking for Rikodiene, that she had a dry cough.

After news of the COVID-19 virus broke and all the details and symptoms came out, she said, "I suspect I had that virus when I was on the Gold Coast!"

She recovered O.K., and I slept next to her all the time she had it, and neither I nor any of the sons family caught it. But they are under 50, and their young son is only 5. I'm 70, and my Missus is 69.

The COVID-19 virus was identified as a new virus cluster on Dec 31st, 2019 and identified as the COVID-19 virus on Jan 7th this year.

Now, the Gold Coast was full of travelling Chinese at that time (and before), and we're now wondering if - 1. She really did have the COVID-19 virus? - and 2. If there were others enduring this virus on the Gold Coast at the same time, but it wasn't reported, or identified as such? The first 4 cases of COVID-19 in Australia were properly identified on Jan 25th.

Now, the Gold Coast was full of travelling Chinese at that time (and before), and we're now wondering if - 1. She really did have the COVID-19 virus? - and 2. If there were others enduring this virus on the Gold Coast at the same time, but it wasn't reported, or identified as such? The first 4 cases of COVID-19 in Australia were properly identified on Jan 25th.

For most of us identifying that we have a problem will be the biggest problem of all to overcome.

The symptoms are almost identical to the usual flu.

As of this morning the procedure when you had those symptoms was to phone your Doctor (not visit the clinic) and he/she would interview you and make a decision of (a) whether you had been in contact with someone who tested positive and (b) whether you had the symptoms and it both bxoes were ticked you would be referred to the nearest testing facility (100 through Melbourne alone, so quite close), and you would then self isolate and get the results a few days later.

That may change by tomorrow morning because the virus is now being transmitted within the community, we are entering progressive State and Cluster lock down zones and, according to the Victorian Chief Medical Officer, Brett Sutton, Australia received a big shipment of test kits Friday night from overseas. He also said to date 20,000 people in Australia have been tested and that's right up there with South Korea which has used test results to identify and knock down clusters and is doing very well, so there is a good chance of Australia getting a better than average result.

If it was me, I'd cancel and think about going next year. Given the pandemic, Quaintass is being very forgiving with their ticket credits. Also, given how abysmally the Trump administration is handling the pandemic,, I wouldn't be going to the US in July.

We have a pickup truck and caravan that we keep in Dallas and we go over for 3 months each year. This year, we're waiting to see how the mess turns out. I have zero confidence in Trump to do anything useful and expect him to make matters worse as he looks out only for his own interests.

Last year while in the US I had to visit a doctor on a couple of occasions. It's not as bad as I expected. They will tell you up front what the charge will be (if it's knowable before hand like mine was) and you can prepay it.

expect him to make matters worse as he looks out only for his own interests.

Shock horror, a Politician looking out for themselves ... all the high level Pollys (both sides) selling off their Stocks after high level coronavirus meetings, then informing the public a few days later about the virus ...

Take care Scott, jumped 20% in the last 24 hours ...

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Just look at Flight radar 24 & see where all the flights are operating. By far the biggest cluster is in the US & although that is probably what it has always been like they don't seem to be slowing as much as elsewhere in the world. No wonder the stats there are mushrooming.

• Like 1

It used to be Truth, Justice and the American way. Now it's the American way or No Way. The US is already isolated by the America FIRST policy. where the REST aren't considered important. (unless a fancy Golf Course and some good ( for Trump) deals can be done there with a compliant crooked Dictator who will sell his people out for a small sum). Nev

Best leave it to 2022, for the All Clear.

Who knows what the after-math of our older flyer's, and there seems to be a lot in the US of A.

will , or could decimate the airshows from now-on.

might take more than 12 months to recover the huge cost's of flying their warbirds. and staging a very large show like

OSHKOSH

but I wish them all the luck in the world to get it up & running in 2021.

spacesailor

• Like 1

• 1 month later...