How has COVID 19 affected your flying or intended flying

SSCBD

Covid19 has basicly stopped Private flying in the UK, its not a matter of distancing rather the fact that if you were to have any sort of incident/accident you would be tying up an emergency crew and hospital workers when they are allready working beyond capacity....basicly it would be very selfish to go for a jolly whilst nurses and doctors are dying on the job.

It's not actually a law as yet and doesnt seem like it needs to be as every pilot I know is doing the right thing anyway (its a shame as the weather is great now and before the virus we had six months of crap unflyable weather but its hardly a sacrifice when put against what some are going through here in the UK)

...?

So, how many incident/accidents are there on average in any given month ?

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. Close to a thousand deaths a day here now, so for those of you still comparing this to ordinary flu, well what can I say.

You lot down under have the great advantage of wide open spaces so hopefully you will do much better than the UK

stay well all

...?

Interesting.

UK based eh.

Considering there are normally flu deaths this time of year in the UK - How many people have died from the flu in the last few weeks ?

Huh! The UK (like the rest of the northern hemisphere) is in spring. Where I am, it was 24 degrees degrees today. I am sure there are normally flu deaths at all times of the year - if you are thinking it is a period of higher flu deaths, well,. you are wrong. I expect the most cases to be the later weeks of the previous year and the earlu weeks of the current year.. And the official reports back that up.

So, looking at last years annual report, on P25, the number of admissions to ICE for influenza - for the whole of week 15 (which is what we are currently in) was.. .drum roll.. under 50.. for the whole week.. Covid 19 sort of dwarfs that figure.. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf Of course, probably not all of them succumbed... but maybe a few hospitalisations that didn't get to ICU may have succumbed.

OK - technically you are right - there are normally deaths this time of year due to influena, but the implication is that it is usually a time of higher deaths and this is not true. And the number we can expect, assuming a numeric equivalent of all ICU admissions ends up in death us currently running at about 1% of Covid19 deaths.. (50 / 7 days in a week = near enough to 7. There is more than 700 deaths a day in the UK to COVID-19...) I think someone earlier said do the maths.. Well, we are more densly populated than Aus - maybe Aus can afford to be a bot more lax.. but the reality here is that a slow response seems to have cost us quite a bit.

Huh! The UK (like the rest of the northern hemisphere) is in spring. Where I am, it was 24 degrees degrees today. I am sure there are normally flu deaths at all times of the year - if you are thinking it is a period of higher flu deaths, well,. you are wrong. I expect the most cases to be the later weeks of the previous year and the earlu weeks of the current year.. And the official reports back that up.

So, looking at last years annual report, on P25, the number of admissions to ICE for influenza - for the whole of week 15 (which is what we are currently in) was.. .drum roll.. under 50.. for the whole week.. Covid 19 sort of dwarfs that figure.. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/839350/Surveillance_of_influenza_and_other_respiratory_viruses_in_the_UK_2018_to_2019-FINAL.pdf Of course, probably not all of them succumbed... but maybe a few hospitalisations that didn't get to ICU may have succumbed.

OK - technically you are right - there are normally deaths this time of year due to influena, but the implication is that it is usually a time of higher deaths and this is not true. And the number we can expect, assuming a numeric equivalent of all ICU admissions ends up in death us currently running at about 1% of Covid19 deaths.. (50 / 7 days in a week = near enough to 7. There is more than 700 deaths a day in the UK to COVID-19...) I think someone earlier said do the maths.. Well, we are more densly populated than Aus - maybe Aus can afford to be a bot more lax.. but the reality here is that a slow response seems to have cost us quite a bit.

The real question is does covid change the death rate enough to justify destroying the economy? (spoiler alert. No!)

Sweden did not lock down, it did not destroy it's economy and it did not suffer from a spike in deaths.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/09f821667ce64bf7be6f9f87457ed9aa

https://www.euromomo.eu/index.html

What the Swedish data show's is the covid 19 patients where going to die anyway they just happen to die with covid not because of it.

The data is in the lock downs do nothing useful. Unless you like totalitarian police states.

Covid-19 scare for the mathematical illiterate.

Jerry Atrick, the ChiCom virus is killing people. There are many, many dead all thanks to the actions of the Chinese communist party.

Once the world settles down after the pandemic and hysteria is over we can be sure the actions of the Chinese communist party will be the main agenda.

All that said, we gain nothing by inflating the current hysteria.

If we don’t get the worlds economy moving now the ‘all-cause’ fatality will be much worse.

Looking at the UK:

“...reporting the same deaths twice...”

“...from now on, the ONS will also include Covid19 deaths “in the community” in their statistics. That “includes those not tested for Covid19”and where “suspected Covid19″...”

https://off-guardian.org/2020/04/05/covid19-death-figures-a-substantial-over-estimate/

To back up the above quotes: EURO MOMO

Having seen others in my situation out enjoying their flying machines without having to travel on public roads I

Resized_20200412_090840_2573.thumb.jpg.0c1920ba3f9fede3612dcb6d2359c7ef.jpgResized_20200412_091526_6274.thumb.jpg.e456fd91f7b3a1d7e3ef1503668f0859.jpgResized_20200412_091555_5904.thumb.jpg.c11acb51b597a9d4ff5a494913d69539.jpg

decided to go fly. Did a soft field outlanding up the hill and a nice wheeler to finish. Wont be seeding for a while due flooding so more flying could happen.

• Like 5

Alan I totally agree with you and I have not been flying this last week. How is the Rebel going with lycoming power?

Thanks for asking! The Lycoming has been awesome. I’m gonna post pics and change my profile pic on here -but my wife won’t let me until she’s finished the nose art

• Like 1

The real question is does covid change the death rate enough to justify destroying the economy? (spoiler alert. No!)

Sweden did not lock down, it did not destroy it's economy and it did not suffer from a spike in deaths.

Sweden looks to be middle of the pack in terms of number of deaths, but a few weeks behind other countries. Come back in 3-4 weeks and look at their statistics.

Meanwhile, the research just keeps piling up... for the better.....

“...Dr John Ioannidis from Stanford University estimates a death rate between 0.025% and 0.65%. Another study, from Japan, found the death rate to be between 0.04 and 0.12.

These are both, potentially, markedly LOWER than seasonal flu...”

We can see the statistics on deaths, we hear personal accounts from ER doctors in Italy, the UK, New York, we can see bodies being buried in a mass grave on Hart Island in New York.

These articles denying the death rate are approaching flat earth or fake moon landing levels of ridiculousness. We can clearly see the evidence that they are wrong.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

@SplitS - How is 100 times the maximum influenza death rate at a period of lock down, so relative containment, where if left unchecked, the rate of deaths could be much higher with or without co morbidity factors not be justified? BTW, I agree that if the evidence supports it, then loosn or tier the restrictions - but at the moment, the relatively independent healt officials are not deeming it that way - unless you think they are in China's pocket?

Bindi - tired of hearing your quotes from sites whos jounalistic credibility is questionable by most of the fact checking organisations.. Without even having to look it up, the ONS is not part of the NHS as they claim.. Your theory sort of fails as it would assert virtually all western governments are kow-towing to China - including the USA and Trump? I find it a little incredulous to say the least. If you go to the ONS site your publication quotes, it is very difficult to read how they are doubling up the numbers. It is quite clear that the statistics are provisional and the methods used and there is a delay due to registrations. But nowhere does it say it then uses its statistics and then addes them to other statistics to get a new number, In fact, the gov.u website it states is used for communicating the official stats. You forget, this is the UK - and the tabloid (ex. Fleet Street) press would have a field day if the claim was remotely true. So far, not much from them.. unless you think China is paying them, too.

And for Sweden - it is middle of the road and their health workers are very apprehensive at the moment as they think it is only a matter of time. You see, the Swedes trust the government and generally comply with their directions - unlike the Aussies, US and UK, for example. Therefore, when the Swedish government says take sensisble precautions such as maintaining distance, catching your snneezes and coughs and wash hands regularly, the Wedes will do it relatively diligently - there won't be "catch it" parties and the like. They are also, like Japan, a relatively mono-cultural society so they don't have has much diversity of originating destinations of people travelling to them. Thirdly, unlike Italy, they have a high number of single person households - which by definition are not inter-generational - over 40%. Health officials there are worried about the lax stand taken and the cinfidence shaking outcome it will have.

The unfortunate outcome of this is that there will be deaths out of the other side of it.. But how much of that will involve co-morbitity as well.. those already, say, with mental health conditions that are teetering anyway, etc. Callous, yes, but my point stress is unlikely to be the sole factor,just liek COVD-19 is as well.. The question is which has the more potentiasl to do far greater damage? I don't know the answer to the question - has anyone done the research so that we can make a claim one way is better than the other?

• Like 4

Sweden has recorded 10,151 COVID-19 virus cases and 887 deaths in total from the virus. The population of Sweden is 10.23M.

Australia has recorded 6,292 COVID-19 virus cases and 58 deaths in total from the virus. The population of Australia is 24.99M.

I know which country has the better approach to the virus from the above figures.

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?

(EDIT: - corrected the total for Sweden, I was initially provided with an outdated figure)

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 4

Sweden is a relatively small population, in a cold climate. Our population is much less per hectare and we live an open air life.

And we are in lockdown and they are not, this surely is the biggest difference.

• Agree 3

They being less obese, more active and less likely to have diabetes etc should have THAT in their favour. To GET it, IT has to come to you or you to it IT doesn't run around jumping onto people. Transmission is the key and it gets into your respiratory system and attacks it often with severe and permanent damage.. Detection will prove to be a necessary component of isolation of groups affected who might be still transmitting the disease.. Nev

• Agree 1

Sweden has recorded 10,151 COVID-19 virus cases and 887 deaths in total from the virus. The population of Sweden is 10.23M.

Australia has recorded 6,292 COVID-19 virus cases and 58 deaths in total from the virus. The population of Australia is 24.99M.

I know which country has the better approach to the virus from the above figures.

https://news.google.com/covid19/map?

(EDIT: - corrected the total for Sweden, I was initially provided with an outdated figure)

Hmmm... In Sweden, how many people have died from the flu in the last month ?...?

Re ‘all cause’, why were week 28 of 2018 in Sweden higher then now..?..?

Sweden, 10151 cases and 887 deaths, quite high for a country of 10.23 million people.

Sweden Coronavirus: 10,151 Cases and 887 Deaths - Worldometer

To compare:

How do they know the total number of cases of ChiCom virus in Sweden ?

How do we know the total number of ChiCom virus cases in Australia ?

Why is Sweden getting blamed for doing little ChiCom virus testing ?

Is Australia ‘leading the way’ in ChiCom virus testing ?

If one dwelled for more then 30 seconds on the media claims of cases could one use the claimed numbers in a sensible discussion ?

.................?

you may well be right Octave, but I don't think we know enough right now. Sweden might be further along the track than we are. Also, they might be counting differently.

Personally, I like the idea of allowing stupid people to get the disease.It will be a disappointment if they fail and change their ways.

Hmmm... In Sweden, how many people have died from the flu in the last month ?..

Difficult to a find figure for last month (perhaps you have one) but the last full year figure 2018-2019 for Sweden is 505, this is over the whole years. Covid is over 800 since February.

• Like 1

FB - There's no hope of any sensible discussion, while you continually parrot the extreme-Right-Wing, Rush Limbaugh view, that the COVID-19 virus is "just the 'flu", or "the same as the 'flu" - and a "ChiCom virus".

COVID-19 is an exceptionally virulent virus (even admitted to by Trump now), and it has curious effects, such as causing large numbers of tiny blood clots in the lungs, thus ensuring that lung function fails.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-19-could-a-clot-busting-drug-help-save-the-lives-of-patients-on-ventilators

• Like 2

Difficult to a find figure for last month (perhaps you have one) but the last full year figure 2018-2019 for Sweden is 505, this is over the whole years. Covid is over 800 since February.

Strange eh..? no one dies of the flu any more.....

How about the Sweden death rate spike in week 28 of 2018..?

FB - There's no hope of any sensible discussion, while you continually parrot the extreme-Right-Wing, Rush Limbaugh view, that the COVID-19 virus is "just the 'flu", or "the same as the 'flu" - and a "ChiCom virus".

COVID-19 is an exceptionally virulent virus (even admitted to by Trump now), and it has curious effects, such as causing large numbers of tiny blood clots in the lungs, thus ensuring that lung function fails.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/covid-19-could-a-clot-busting-drug-help-save-the-lives-of-patients-on-ventilators

Old news.

“...A Brooklyn doctor is warning that critically ill coronavirus patients are being inadvertently harmed by the very same breathing machines being used to keep them alive.

In a video posted on YouTube, Dr. Cameron Kyle-Sidell, an emergency medicine physician at Maimonides Medical Center, said that “we are putting breathing tubes in people and putting them on ventilators and dialing up the pressure to open up their lungs.”

“I’ve talked to doctors all around the country and it is becoming increasingly clear that the pressure we’re providing may be hurting their lungs, that it is highly likely that the high pressures we’re using are damaging the lungs of the patients we are putting the breathing tubes in,” he said in a two-minute video he posted Wednesday...”

https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/nyc-doctor-says-coronavirus-ventilator-settings-are-too-high/

• Caution 1

AOPA Australia CEO Ben Morgan yesterday wrote to Prime Minister Scott Morrison seeking an approval for recreational and private pilots to conduct flights for the purpose of running aircraft engines during the COVID-19 restrictions period.

https://www.australianflying.com.au/latest/aopa-petitions-the-pm-over-engine-runs

Don't hold your breath...

AOPA Australia CEO Ben Morgan yesterday wrote to Prime Minister Scott Morrison seeking an approval for recreational and private pilots to conduct flights for the purpose of running aircraft engines during the COVID-19 restrictions period.

https://www.australianflying.com.au/latest/aopa-petitions-the-pm-over-engine-runs

Don't hold your breath...

Fingers crossed! I also hear you can't go fishing in Vic in yr own boat out on the bay on your own? WTF?