State Lockdown - who's watching the airports

I condemn the Labor Party for not objecting ferociously to this travesty.

A fair statement, which I will counter with another statement:

When the pollies are in town, they bring their entourage with them. Then, on Friday they all go home. They travel a very long way. Nobody wants that, not right now.

If parliamentary sessions can be held by teleconference and still be valid, I am all for that. Until then, parliament sitting would be a sure-fire way to ensure this health emergency is spread to pretty much every electorate. Ignore the bit about every politician and every senior adviser in cabinet being a carrier or getting sick. That is just a side effect.

Gosh its quiet on the roads though! Hindmarsh drive at 5pm felt more like Sunday lunch

• Like 1

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I am appalled that parliament has been suspended for 5 months. In exceptional times it is imperative that decisions made "in the national iterest" be subjected to scrutiny in full gaze of "we the people" and I condemn the Labor Party for not objecting ferociously to this travesty.

I accept that a fair percentage of the public have difficulty comprehending what is going on at the moment.

At the outbreak of WW2 the Australian Prime Minister was caught in the UK, so he worked in the British Cabinet for a time as they frantically worked for suvival.

We aren't facing something as grave as that, but the nature of this virus is that it is fast moving and a bit like a fire in that, some of the early outbreaks in some countries looked to be under control only to flare into huge outbreaks still going.

The bottom line is that there is no time for the normal Parliamentary process schedule. The stand out example is TeleHealth, which would take 10 years to deliver with the normal checks and balances delivered in ten days, which effectively allows virtual diagnosis for unlimited health issues against the 10 or 11 which could be processed to date, speeding up the health systems ability to treat pateients and at the same time proptecting the health professionals who have become the most valuable members of our society.

I tried the get the message across here that the Westminster system was still working in Australia, even though the debate wasn't necessarily taking place in the Parliaments, when I commented on one initiative where a Labor Minister addressed this very issue by saying simply. "It doesn't need to go through Parliament, we've approved it."

I'm hugely impressed by the efforts of people like Anthony Albanese, Richard Marles, Chris Bowen (Shadow Minister for Health), and Dr Jim Chalmers (Shadow Treasurer). These people have to job of making sure that decisions of huge importance are the correct decisions, and you only have to look at their faces to see that they know the seriousness of what they are doing.

As for condemning the Labor Party, they are the majority Party in the National Cabinet and have done an outstanding job. Daniel Andrews in particular has kept "the people" informed day by day for months about the decisions made.

I'm sure the majority of the people on this site are focused on survival for their families and themselves, and that's reflected in every State where the majority of the people have acted promptly as their leaders have introduced extreme changes to save their lives, and the majority of the people have spoken, by backing their leaders. As a result Australia is controlling this virus and saving a bigger percentage than many other countries.

• Like 2

Hummm! - Our leaders persist in viewing this as an economic disaster caused by a health problem WRONG!!! this is a health issue first second & thirds, with economic ramifications (which do need to be addressed but are secondary to the main battle front).

Seems to me that the only way we can temporarily (permanency will only be achieved when an effective vaccine is available to all) get control pf the infection rate, is to force everyone into quarantine (yes essential services would still have to be kept going) for the time the virus takes to "burn out" - I believe that is about 4 - 6 weeks (allowing for a fudge factor).

Quarantine breakers might need to be treated very harshly.

Transmission would be halted or at worst slowed to a trickle.

Those with mild symptoms will have to suffer at home (including the sub clinical carriers in our midst).

Really sick people would be hospitalised.

Population testing would become academic - needed to prove absence rather than confirm infection .

Essential service people would potentially continue to carry/transmit the infection but being relativly small in number and readily accounted for, could be supplied with medical grade PPE, tested/monitored on a daily/continuose basis, with sub & clinical sufferers being removed to quarantine ASAP, to minimise transmission.

This cycle may have to be repeated "around geographic hot spots" or if a general outbreak reoccurs.

When history look back on this time, our leaders will be found to be a bunch of criminally negligent fence sitters (I am being polite).

Hummm! - Our leaders persist in viewing this as an economic disaster caused by a health problem WRONG!!! this is a health issue first second & thirds, with economic ramifications (which do need to be addressed but are secondary to the main battle front).

Just for your reassurance the Commonwealth and States, acting together as the National Cabinet have pursued two policies at the same time:

1. Saving as many lives as possible

2. Keeping everyone in Australia financially afloat/or providing financial support

Separate teams are working on each.

There is now no need to go to the State/Territory Health sites to find out that private/recreational flying is closed.

We have moved to Stage 3, and only these four activities are permitted from 11:59 tonight.

1. Essential shopping

2. Exercise ( with limitations)

3. Essential Medical visits (Doctor/Chemist)

4. Work or Education if that is deemed necessary.

So Zero flying.

There is now no need to go to the State/Territory Health sites to find out that private/recreational flying is closed.

We have moved to Stage 3, and only these four activities are permitted from 11:59 tonight.

1. Essential shopping

2. Exercise ( with limitations)

3. Essential Medical visits (Doctor/Chemist)

4. Work or Education if that is deemed necessary.

So Zero flying.

Not quite. There are a few aircraft continually in the circuit at Archerfield here this morning with a handful of aircraft enroute in or out of there.

As the supermarkets have refused to restock their shelves for the past 3 weeks with peanuts, let alone pasta or toilet paper, yesterday Mrs Possum and I felt the need to do some essential shopping at the Peanut Van in Kingaroy - their toasting factory is in an industrial area almost adjacent to the airport. At 2.6 km there and back, we got our exercise as well.

With an enjoyable flight - 1 hour there and 1 hour back - a legal purpose is all you need to find. Appropriate social distancing is required involving single aircraft only. Obviously no recreational swarming with a group of aircraft or pilots and passengers would be permitted.

Things were very quiet at both airports with no-one showing the slightest interest in what we were up to. This lockdown seems to be an urban thing. We noticed nothing but a normal working day in Kingaroy. Returning to Archerfield, there was very little traffic and we were offered a choice of runways by Archer Tower.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Not quite. There are a few aircraft continually in the circuit at Archerfield here this morning with a handful of aircraft enroute in or out of there.

As the supermarkets have refused to restock their shelves for the past 3 weeks with peanuts, let alone pasta or toilet paper, yesterday Mrs Possum and I felt the need to do some essential shopping at the Peanut Van in Kingaroy - their toasting factory is in an industrial area almost adjacent to the airport. At 2.6 km there and back, we got our exercise as well.

With an enjoyable flight - 1 hour there and 1 hour back - a legal purpose is all you need to find. Appropriate social distancing is required involving single aircraft only. Obviously no recreational swarming with a group of aircraft or pilots and passengers would be permitted.

Things were very quiet at both airports with no-one showing the slightest interest in what we were up to. This lockdown seems to be an urban thing. We noticed nothing but a normal working day in Kingaroy. Returning to Archerfield, there was very little traffic and we were offered a choice of runways by Archer Tower.

In a case like that, your Department of Health is making the decisions on what is essential travel.

NSW have had problems with people bucking the Health instructions and broght in a new penalty of six months imprisonment to stiffen resolve, as well as expanding the enforcement group. It's up to you; most people understand that chance meetings or touching infected surfaces/packages can spread the infection.

• Like 1

Some people watch too much of the X files.

Back in the day when I still watched TV I seen one or two of the X files and found it moronic - probably to old for it.

I used to read Biggles when I were a kid. So I suppose I’m a tin foil candidate...:chuffed:

I wrongly posted the China scenario to this student pilots thread so any more references I make to it will be in the other thread.

Back in the day when I still watched TV I seen one or two of the X files and found it moronic - probably to old for it.

I used to read Biggles when I were a kid. So I suppose I’m a tin foil candidate...:chuffed:

I wrongly posted the China scenario to this student pilots thread so any more references I make to it will be in the other thread.

I still have about 40 Biggles books but few are of the collectable kind. A CFI mate has a huge collection of first editions but even their value has dropped enormously because kids aren’t into flying the way we old farts have always been.

• Agree 1

Back to the topic -

Apparently not enough airport watchers in SA. ABC radio this afternoon broadcast the official announcement that baggage handlers at Adelaide Airport were testing positive and the health authorities were trying to trace potentially affected travellers.

Back to the topic -

Apparently not enough airport watchers in SA. ABC radio this afternoon broadcast the official announcement that baggage handlers at Adelaide Airport were testing positive and the health authorities were trying to trace potentially affected travellers.

Wonder if it is connected with ruby princess passengers who flew from Sydney to Adelaide, the ship is still hanging of the coast of NSW. RUBY PRINCESS Current Position ( - DUAL TRACKING - ) | Marine Vessel Traffic

How many of the crew will get sick and have to come a shore.

We are allowed to be with the people who normally share the same domestic residence, ie spouse and kids. That makes sense. Does the ban on travelling include making a picnic lunch and putting the family in the car to go for a drive, as long as no one gets out of the car to mingle with strangers? Does in include going for a scenic flight with one of the family on board? What about if I jump on my motorcycle, which only has one seat, and I go for a ride in the local countryside?

Just for your reassurance the Commonwealth and States, acting together as the National Cabinet have pursued two policies at the same time:

1. Saving as many lives as possible

2. Keeping everyone in Australia financially afloat/or providing financial support

Separate teams are working on each.

You may be correct or you may be being kind/optimistic - I dont see any evidence that our leaders are prioritising this the right way. The health crisis MUST be the priority if we are to have any chance of getting on top of the problem with minimal deaths AND minimal economic fall out. Trying for a"the same time" is a bit like expecting two unbroken horses to move in tandem - not going to happen and a complete waste of effort.

Focus focus on the main game & deal with the health problem. Have the B team looking after the economic so that we can "bounce back" ASAP

I guess if you are travelling for one of the valid reasons, and only with family in the vehicle, you are ok, but it’s not terribly clear and reports suggest open to interpretation by police.

If I fly from SHEPP airport to Wahring, for example and then walk around the boundary of this ALA for exercise, and do not approach another person, I’d suggest I’m complying with the letter of the restrictions, but not the spirit.

Furthest I’ve been is to the lake around the corner for a quick walk with the dog.

I feel terribly sorry for the flying schools which are deserted here.

• Agree 1

Guest Machtuk

I went flying today, it's actually not illegal to do so or even illegal to leave yr property, fear ans hysteria have got everyone in

I guess if you are travelling for one of the valid reasons, and only with family in the vehicle, you are ok, but it’s not terribly clear and reports suggest open to interpretation by police.

If I fly from SHEPP airport to Wahring, for example and then walk around the boundary of this ALA for exercise, and do not approach another person, I’d suggest I’m complying with the letter of the restrictions, but not the spirit.

Furthest I’ve been is to the lake around the corner for a quick walk with the dog.

I feel terribly sorry for the flying schools which are deserted here.

It's actually not illegal to travel beyond yr own property as long as you are following the 'Noah' rule! I went flying today, wonderful not a sole about, quiet as!?

I think both. Our airport is moribund, with REX making its' last few flights in before it plans to close on 6th. Both flying schools have closed down. A few local private owners have been up to keep the oil circulating, but we had a couple 'new' aircraft in over the weekend. Actually the hangar is a refuge for me atm : get to plant some kikuyu, clean up inside, wash aircraft, and keep out of my brides hair for a few hours. I don't see any risk to the quarantine principle by doing a local flight. I think the authorities are starting to verge on censorship of the 1st order when they begin to draw lines between 'essential' or 'recreational'. Anyway, keep your sense of humour everyone - we are going to need to. happy days,

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I think both. Our airport is moribund, with REX making its' last few flights in before it plans to close on 6th. Both flying schools have closed down. A few local private owners have been up to keep the oil circulating, but we had a couple 'new' aircraft in over the weekend. Actually the hangar is a refuge for me atm : get to plant some kikuyu, clean up inside, wash aircraft, and keep out of my brides hair for a few hours. I don't see any risk to the quarantine principle by doing a local flight. I think the authorities are starting to verge on censorship of the 1st order when they begin to draw lines between 'essential' or 'recreational'. Anyway, keep your sense of humour everyone - we are going to need to. happy days,

The wording changed at midnight.

We are allowed to be with the people who normally share the same domestic residence, ie spouse and kids. That makes sense. Does the ban on travelling include making a picnic lunch and putting the family in the car to go for a drive, as long as no one gets out of the car to mingle with strangers? Does in include going for a scenic flight with one of the family on board? What about if I jump on my motorcycle, which only has one seat, and I go for a ride in the local countryside?

The Prime Minister himself covered that yesterday.

There's no room for interpretation; if you think about it it is specifically to save lives.

A Chinese Richmond Cafe owner found out the hard way yesterday with a $9,900 fine.

An Assistant Commissioner of Victoria Police just said about an hour and a half ago: "Unless you've been living under a rock or you are an idiot, you know the restrictions.

Maybe the Queensland Premier knows Toowoomba better than we do because this morning she explained how the Attorney General had been tasked to reorganise the Justice Dept staff to work with Health to go after the people who aren't getting the message.