What are your other interests?

Admin

I waited for someone, Hargraves, to be on the "other side" before I committed. I have spent most of my working life dealing with the tactical side, so on retirement I continue to hunt deer and play with big bore f/a for fun. I have penned some flying articles and some international hunting stories and like many here I ride M/Cs. life is non stop......

Ken

Not sure Nev about that, me thinks more like long enough to come back as an Eagle, top of the food chain for birds and we wouldn't have to worry about CAsA!?? Finding this pix I think I'll retract that idea!?

image.jpeg.66a066421a21a11c0349c252182e046f.jpeg

Edited by Flightrite

I wonder if anyone goes or has gone to Archerfield to watch the Sprint Car racing? I have been but as I don't drive it is too far to go to..

I used to watch the stock cars at Racewall Cowdenbeath.. At one time my daughter raced minis and latterly Pro stocks.. A Vauxhall saloon. Roll cage. No engine modifications..race harness. Front and rear bars Window net etc. As it could be quite a contact sport.. Just thought I'd throw this in..

I guess no one into fast cars and action.. Maybe a female thing.. ?

Fast cars and action was when I was late teens until about 35...then something changed.....women directed the purse strings :)...after a couple of hits at empty bank balances I decided I control my purse strings....much happier person now

• Like 1

Fast cars and action was when I was late teens until about 35...then something changed.....women directed the purse strings :)...after a couple of hits at empty bank balances I decided I control my purse strings....much happier person now

I have to agree (if you mean selling the misses), I've discovered over the years women and aviation don't mix, ????

image.thumb.jpeg.2d123d29d8d1fec5b77e1f5f4f15066b.jpeg

• Like 1

Dont laugh but that sign is true....a "mate" took off with my first wife back in the late 80's..first empty bank balance..mind you I was a different person back then too but a couple of years later I heard she had left him so I did send him a thank you card...it did make me feel good :)....second wife was 19 years long...I was a workaholic back then so not enough attention paid to the other half but empty bank balance after it again..onto my third now and been together for 16 years..she is way different and so am I ....we dont have any arguments and a excellent marriage..occasionally a disagreement but the secret is we both have separate money..we both put the same amount into a joint account every month to pay the bills that are common for us both like cars and insurances and farm etc the rest we never question ever...what we spend our own money on..and kids...I never tell her what to do about hers and she never tells me how to deal with mine. We may ask each other for advice but dont get the irits if you dont take that advice. It works perfectly. But I do have to say my wife has a male weighted brain..she does have "female moments" but realises it later so its no drama and I am also sensitive to her needs....mostly...sorry if I have offended any women on here reading this but this system works a treat for us both.

This is why I can do any project I like and follow any interest I want..if she likes it she will come along with me. If she doesnt then she wont and I am not offended at all. We do have a lot of interests in common as well. I am lucky to have found her to be honest. Its not perfect at all but it works for both of us very well.

• Like 6
  • Winner 1

Dont laugh but that sign is true....a "mate" took off with my first wife back in the late 80's..first empty bank balance..mind you I was a different person back then too but a couple of years later I heard she had left him so I did send him a thank you card...it did make me feel good :)....second wife was 19 years long...I was a workaholic back then so not enough attention paid to the other half but empty bank balance after it again..onto my third now and been together for 16 years..she is way different and so am I ....we dont have any arguments and a excellent marriage..occasionally a disagreement but the secret is we both have separate money..we both put the same amount into a joint account every month to pay the bills that are common for us both like cars and insurances and farm etc the rest we never question ever...what we spend our own money on..and kids...I never tell her what to do about hers and she never tells me how to deal with mine. We may ask each other for advice but dont get the irits if you dont take that advice. It works perfectly. But I do have to say my wife has a male weighted brain..she does have "female moments" but realises it later so its no drama and I am also sensitive to her needs....mostly...sorry if I have offended any women on here reading this but this system works a treat for us both.

This is why I can do any project I like and follow any interest I want..if she likes it she will come along with me. If she doesnt then she wont and I am not offended at all. We do have a lot of interests in common as well. I am lucky to have found her to be honest. Its not perfect at all but it works for both of us very well.

Love it, well said?

I've discovered over the years women and aviation don't mix

After meeting up with these two, a couple of dozen Germans would have agreed with that. ☹

Budanova-Litvyak.thumb.jpg.e6c746602223a3e5c3e5aed9978fc9e6.jpg

Edited by willedoo
  • Like 1

Is it because most of our lives have been lived in a fast-changing world and our family duties meant we didn't have the time to get involved in what interested us? Now we have the time and mental acuity to spend on learning what we didn't have time for in our Prime years.

I've interested in a myriad of things from restoration of "antique" things, through wood and metal work to genealogy and writing, as well as the normal things like domestic maintenance. At the moment I have two computer power supplies to be set up as benchtop DC power supplies; a cuckoo clock to clean and reassemble; transcription of WWll Army motorcycle ID numbers; writing a story based on my grandfather's life and also my story of growing up as a Boomer; writing an instructional manual for parents teaching their kids to drive. Then there's the task of rebuilding my CNC machine and 3D printer. Not to forget getting into lead lighting to use the tools my kids bought me years ago. In the middle of that I have to learn how to use a mini spray gun. After that, I have to teach myself to weld using my new DC Inverter welder so that I can make a trailer to transport my bike. And let's not mention the maintenance of a classic bike.

Some people says the man's made out of mud,

Some people says of muscle and blood

Muscle and blood and skin and bone,

A mind that's week and a back that's strong

You load sixteen tons, so what do you get,

Another day older and deeper in debt

So, St. Peter don't you call me 'cause I can't go,

I owe my soul to the company store

• Like 3

Cars - I administer a car forum with 25,000 members and 4.6m posts.

Technology - love tinkering with computers and electronics.

TV/Movies - I spend a fair bit of time on the couch

Beer - A bit of a snob in this respect. I participate in like-minded discussion groups

Food - I didn't stack on the weight over the last 2 years from eating garbage!

• Like 2

I guess no one into fast cars and action.. Maybe a female thing.. ?

I like fast cars and bikes, but not speedway. I know a few speedway and ex-speedway people, most have either moved on or are going to move on.

One of the reasons I like flying is that I can go everywhere at near 200kph without plod having a hissy fit, and they really do have hissy fits. I have met a couple of women that also ride, but I wouldn't call them "fast".

After meeting up with these two, a couple of dozen Germans would have agreed with that. ☹

[ATTACH type=full" alt="Budanova-Litvyak.jpg]54825[/ATTACH]

Hannah Reich held her own. I have read her book and enjoyed watching an interview with her. She gets so excited when talking about flying.

• Like 1

"A mind that's week and a back that's strong" should read "A mind that's weak and a back that's strong". But who cares anymore?

A lot of us. I let a lot go because many times autocorrect has changed it without the poster realising.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

A lot of us. I let a lot go because many times autocorrect has changed it without the poster realising.

I enjoy the forum police, get a laugh out of their antics, BookFace is crawling with them!?

My other interests, besides this website are the Men's Shed and photography- aircraft and other subjects. ndernormalcircumstances I attend theMen's Shed 3 days per week, whereI share a yarn and a few jokeswith the other guys, about fifty in total, spread across the 3 days. I get interesting or funny videos from Facebook or Youtube which I share with the men. I also maintain a photographic register of the members. When a new member joins the Shed, I take their photo and add them to a 'rogues gallery' which is printed and put on the noticeboard. I also give a copy to the member to help them remember the name of the men who attend on their day. Sample below. I also take photos of the projects the men work on at the Shed. Unfortunately the Shed has been closed due to Covid-19 since mid February,and is likely to remain closed till October or later.

As for photography, my favorite subject is aircraft, and about 50% of the photos on the Showcase are my photos. I also have photos on Google Maps, Flickr, airport-data, airliners.net and Facebook. Again, the lockdown due to coronavirus has severely curtailed my ability to go out and take photos. There are links in my signature block to some of my photos on the net.

[ATTACH alt=sample rogues gallery.JPG]54719[/ATTACH]

looking at the Mens shed it seems like a great environment.

would love to join one. and learn off others experiences - as a 28yr old I reckon it would be an invaluable thing

Unfortunetly I work way too much looking at the local chapters. only get Sundays free

I have always enjoyed making things, pottery at an early age and later metal fabrication. Designed and built a number of successful farm machines including this 36 metre high clearance 4WD sprayer powered by a Subaru ej22, 20 years and still going strong. Perfect day for flying but sometimes we have to work?Resized_20200724_131723_3468.thumb.jpeg.37d2a52d4bb9dbb9c9eaecec82235fbc.jpeg

• Like 5