Tell us about your last flight

Admin

Something different today, hitched a ride back from Maryborough in the Seamax. Weather was perfect so lots of splash & goes along the way. Great fun!!!The SeaMax will soon be on line with ProSky Maryborough for water training & endorsements. The Sandy Straights between Maryborough & Fraser Island are an ideal place to enjoy this type of flying.

Nice aircraft. What weight carrying capabilities ?

Nice aircraft. What weight carrying capabilities ?

I didn't go into all the specs, I was just getting a ride home. I am sure google will find some info for you.

I had a nice flight this morning, Dad took our truck up to a property north of warialda and I flew up to ferry him home.

(Sorry for not buzzing you @rankamateur , maybe next time!)

So dad had to leave early and I got an extra 2 hours (4 hour trip for a truck but only 2 for a slow plane!) so I spent the first one sleeping in and the second one lazily getting the plane ready.

It was a bonza trip both ways and the farm had a beautiful grass strip so no challenge at all but still enjoyable.

image.jpeg.77e07a6b6e087e2a4bdde01468eb2055.jpeg

image.jpeg.6809b083339533fa4eb0bf69bdd0d103.jpeg

• Like 3

Dad got his pax endo and we got to go for a fly together.

My first time in a J170. Not a fan but perhaps I just need a few hours in it to get accustomed to it.

But a very nice jaunt together was had. Especially since its been 2 months since I've gotten into the air.

• Like 1

Dad got his pax endo and we got to go for a fly together.My first time in a J170. Not a fan but perhaps I just need a few hours in it to get accustomed to it.

But a very nice jaunt together was had. Especially since its been 2 months since I've gotten into the air.

That must have been special for you 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

You didn't get aa picture of my baby. You are correct it was a great day. Well done to the organisers.

Got a couple of shots of you on the runway. The pictures are to large to post but I'll email them to you. Catch you again soon.

Pretty good weekend just gone.

Flew from West Sale to Stawell on Friday afternoon after work to get the 5 yearly Rotax rubber replacement and a few other jobs done over the weekend by the fantastic people at Stawell Aviation Services the Victorian Tecnam dealer

Flight up took 2.4 hrs for the 238nm trip as I was fortunate enough to catch slight tailwinds on Friday.

A busy day Saturday had us not quite done early enough to allow me to get back home by last light on Saturday so another overnighter in a motel was in order

A cold front was forecast to arrive by 10am Sunday which had me slightly anxious about getting home but it passed through early around 5am.

Early start beginning at 7:30 saw the remaining work completed by 9am and the baby all back together and topped off with fuel and checked for leaks and ready to head home

All ready to go and expecting a relatively quick trip home with the preceding front well in to Gippsland had the wheels lifting off Rwy 29 at Stawell at 09:55 with the intention of climbing to my initial cruising level of 5500ft but it was not as smooth as I hoped for so up to 7500 I went and was topping out at almost 160kts GS.

The first leg of 107nm from Stawell to Torquay took a mere 44 minutes which included my climb and the next leg from Torquay to West Sale at 131nm took 64 minutes landing at 11:43 so it was a smooth fast trip home with an overall average of 132kts GS

Huge thanks to John Kennedy from SAS for giving up his weekend to do the work and teaching me a little more about my aircraft

Cheers

Alf

Few pics of the return flight home with the front just south of me heading up the Latrobe Valley

IMG_1825.JPG.c46176298234edf27c6473173c027433.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG.d7342521ad5c965f381f7b752fd9f3cb.JPG

IMG_1816.JPG.b88ad3915db46273c827ba8890d6b9ef.JPG

IMG_1822.JPG.f802d587fec4bc2a995d1ee88bc13ba1.JPG

IMG_1837.JPG.ff4dbacaa4689f13c54f5a26e7cc5bdf.JPG

• Like 4

Flew the Nynja to Mount Coolon last weekend for an overnight camping catchup with some flying friends who came from Mackay, Doonington, Charters Towers and Ingham (6 all up). The airstrip is nice an wide and was mowed two weeks before and in excellant condition. Had a great meal and cool drinks and the local pub. An great friendly place and well worth a stop over if in the area. Any one that wants to book a cabin will get for a good price the room, Dinner, breakfast and a packed lunch. Good value. I'll be back. We all camped in tents at our aircraft.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Out and about in the Wentworth area this weekend. Got about 5 hours in and had a good poke around the Murray river which is in flood in that area. Photo is where the Darling joins the Murray at Wentworth. Wentworth Aerodrome is in the top right of the photo. Was great flying weather there this weekend. Tempers it for us all though whenever tragedy strikes as it has in the Rockhampton area two days ago.WP_20161126_08_47_11_Pro.jpg.1f0cb8a9134c2b4f80f0e0487ce52de9.jpg

• Like 1

I learnt a lesson in my last flight yesterday.

Went to Emu Park from Rods Bay, 61 miles, easy navigation over Gladstone, follow the coast and keep clear of Rocky controlled airspace. The weather was murky, all sorts of cloud from 1500', with possible thunderstorms.

I could see before the start that cloudbase was low, but visibility was pretty good, so I reckoned it was all good to go.

I couldn't get above 1900' to go over the top of galdstone, but no traffic on the radio so it was OK, then running alongside Mt. Larcom which was in cloud, but still plenty of vis. Over the mud flats towards Port Alma weather cleared and cloud lifted, vis unlimited, so easy flying to Emu Park.

3 hours later and the return journey, Emu Park is good vis scattered cloud at about 4000' looking a bit grey towards Gladstone.

No problems, if it clags up I will return to Emu Park.

By the time I am half way, abeam Mt Larcom it is still in cloud, but I am well and truly visual, following The Narrows, a watercourse between Curtis Island and the mainland, I can see Gladstone, but there is a band of rain coming from my right, a black rolling cloud down to the ground about 5 miles away. Not a problem as I will be past it in no time. Next I am in moderate rain with about 5 miles visibility ahead, less to the right. The bad cloud is closing in behind me, so no return to Emu Park, but Gladstone is OK. I go over Gladstone at about 1000', can't go higher because of the cloud. I could land there, but I can still see ahead and it is only 15 miles. The rain is increasing, thank god I have an aluminium prop. The clouds are still rolling in from the right, down to ground level. If they beat me to Rods Bay I will have to go to Agnes Water which is clear.

About 3 minutes later I am on a straight in final to Rods Bay, landed, put the plane in the hangar and the storm hit, thunder and light rain.

I have made a point of only flying in good conditions for the last several years, so am not used to poor vis. Looking back I think it would have been prudent to have cancelled the trip. I was not in danger at any time, but it would not have taken much of a twist in the weather and I could have been stressed. I had cancelled a trip a week before because of cloud which was easier going than yesterday.

• Like 3

IMG_1873.JPG.33b29a457f338e8d72870e49950bd5a8.JPG Had a lovely 4.1 hrs flying this afternoon

Departed West Sale and headed 25nm SW to Latrobe Valley landing on 21 and then to the terminal to pick up my eldest brother for his first flight in the Sierra

Gary all comfy and strapped in had us departing 21 and heading west towards his home in Newborough, couple of doeys around his house we then headed towards Western Port Bay about 40nm farther west.

Just shy of WPB we turned south and headed for Inverloch and the coast about 25nm away, once overhead we tracked coastal to Waratah Bay then headed to Port Welshpool to overfly one of Gary's old mates who was a HDT team mechanic for the late Peter Brock during his career.

After Welshpool we overflew Yarram and headed again for the coast and tracked 90nm to Lakes Entrance, couple of orbits over mum and dads place saw us tracking back to Latrobe Valley 75nm away to drop brother off after a enjoyable flight.

A quick 25nm flight back to West Sale ended a cracker of a day with my brother and an enjoyable 4.1 hrs added in to the log book

Lived the dream once again

Alf

IMG_1931.JPG.40c5f8562637a933e9a55cef4f2ca9e2.JPG

IMG_1929.JPG.a61b07b86a02535ec2a472fca78c4396.JPG

IMG_1928.JPG.dda2d647fa2c05b5a7dcf8534b329950.JPG

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Flying along the Ninety Mile Beach, with Bass Strait beneath me, a few days ago. Pic. shows the tourist township of Loch Sport with its permanent population of around 600, swelling to around 4000 during Xmas holidays, on the shores of Lake Victoria,( part of the Gippsland Lake system ). The causeway across the mainly dry Lake Reeve, gives access to the Ninety Mile Beach for bathing and fishing activities. The flat farming country in the background is SW of Bairnsdale. The Southern edge of the Great Dividing Range ( not visible due to haze ) is some 20 nm distant and Mt Hotham a further 35 nm to the North ..... Bob image.jpeg.a905971d5421164497183cbb70212cbb.jpeg

• Like 6

Flying along the Ninety Mile Beach, with Bass Strait beneath me, a few days ago. Pic. shows the tourist township of Loch Sport with its permanent population of around 600, swelling to around 4000 during Xmas holidays, on the shores of Lake Victoria,( part of the Gippsland Lake system ). The causeway across the mainly dry Lake Reeve, gives access to the Ninety Mile Beach for bathing and fishing activities. The flat farming country in the background is SW of Bairnsdale. The Southern edge of the Great Dividing Range ( not visible due to haze ) is some 20 nm distant and Mt Hotham a further 35 nm to the North ..... Bob [ATTACH=full]47185[/ATTACH]

Ahh just beautiful Bob the area we live and fly in

I never tire of the view around here

Well done mate, see you Sunday as I'll pop in to the club house on my way to Lakes

• Like 1

Ahh just beautiful Bob the area we live and fly inI never tire of the view around here

Well done mate, see you Sunday as I'll pop in to the club house on my way to Lakes

Yes Alf, I'll be there, probably get a job also!. I inherited an IPhone 4 from youngest grandson and decided to try out the camera. Was surprised at how good the resolution is, so I'll retire my old camera, which means one less thing to carry in the Jab. Always thinking of ways to minimise take-off weight, particularly as I recently added a 4 kg spare wheel. I looked at the repair goo, but that renders the tyre useless, alternatively getting the tyre off at an outback strip would also be a nightmare - 'thread drift' , better go .... Bob

Prop apparently 'out of synch'. with chip . 096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

image.jpeg.f129274bafa8dbabe214d4b5033f6825.jpeg

• Like 1

002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif Hi All,

Back at Redcliffe (YRED) this morning for a Flight Lesson, its nearly been 4 months since I flew last, for the last week its been storm central here, and today looked like it was more of the same. The weather started out pretty crappy and thought I wasn't going to get in a flight, but thankfully there was a small break in the weather and we managed to clock up an hour of circuits

First couple of circuits were a bit rusty, but as I started plugging away it all started to come back to me, Pete, my instructor was quite impressed with my effort today, I was chuffed as well. Back flying next week, weather permitting, I am going to learn about EFACTO, other Emergencies and Precautions in the Circuit!

Cheers, Brent 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

PS, Sorry no pickies, the way the weather was, didn't think we even get to t/o, so didn't use the camera 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

Next Flight - Friday the 16th of December

• Like 1

My last long flight was late November, when I flew my Savannah from Kilcoy, SE Qld to Melbourne, Snowy Mountains Scheme, and the 'Gathering of the Moths' fly-in at Mt Beauty.

It was a heck of a rough and challenging trip...... Not a good time of year for such a flight, but earlier constant bad weather in those parts kept it delayed.... A good start down the coast to Port Macquarie, smooth and good tailwind. Getting a bit rough through the lane behind Williamtown, then heavy smoky haze and really rough up the Hunter Valley. Planned to stop and camp at Wellington, but a line of thunderstorms confronted. Bless OZrunways for the radar overlay. Made it so much easier to find a way between the developing thunderheads. Had to keep going west to Peak Hill, south of Dubbo to get clear. So a long 8hr day.....

Next morning back to Orange for fuel, but too early for the only refueler Wade Air, so on to Bathurst. Then backtrack to Cadia gold mine of look around, then riding a strong northerly tailwind to Tumut for a look at the Blowering and Talbingo Resevoirs, all full now after all the rain earlier. Then to Khancoban to view the power station and pipes down the mountain. From here that northerly became a violently rough Xwind to Lethbridge. But had to press on because the windy.ty site showed a sharply defined front line coming through late afternoon. It showed a 20kt northerly with temp 34 degrees on the north side and a 20kt southerly with temp 14 degrees on the south side, so inbetween would be wild..... Made it to Lethbridge in plenty of time, but while waiting ages for the fuel pump to prime itself the gust front of a wild thunderstorm hit. I sat in the aircraft with the door open, ready to jump out and grab a strut. The aircraft danced around and slewed around, but just enough protection from the buildings to stay right side up. As soon as there was a lull, Gary, owner of Lethbridge airfield kindly put me in a hangar just before an even more violent cell hit. Safe at last..... Then holed up at my daughter's place for three days while Melbourne's shit weather did it's thing.

Friday cleared up so rode the 15kt SW'erly across to Leongatha where I ran into low, drizzly, very dark cloud, could be flying into a trap so landed to sit it out. Later got through to Latrobe where it all improved. On to Benambra and a cup of tea and a yarn with Ben Buckley. Finally over the mountains to Mt Beauty.

The weather for the 'Gathering of teh Moths' fly-in was perfect, and a really good turn-out of good flyers. Some STOL demos from the Supercubs and Savannahs, then lots of interesting visiting with the boys. Excellent hospitality from the Mt Beauty folk, thank you.

Sunday was also perfect weather at last. Landed on reputedly, the highest airstrip in OZ, according to flyers who would know. 'Emergency Only' but this was an emergency, eh, just had to do it! But still only 5200ft altitude, about the same as the city of Denver, Colorado.... Called 'Alpine' or 'Snowy Range'. Not challenging at all, cause it's a long open strip also used by heavy fire-fighting aircraft when necessary. But lots of very ominous 'tiger country' all around, with tall forest and steep slopes. Then on to Mt Kosciouzko, and looking for above ground signs of the Snowy Scheme, but of course most of it is underground! Landed at Cabramurra airstrip and walked down to to the 'Highest Town in Australia'. There's a really interesting electronic display in the shop, showing the complex layout of the Hydro Scheme and real time showing which generators are operating and where the water is flowing. Then to Tumut again for fuel and on to Leeton to camp the night. An ideal campsite, soft grass, shady tree, toilets and shower.

Next day a good run to Narromine for fuel. Hundreds of glider trailers there for some gathering. Increasingly rough to Moree, then the windy.ty site showed a narrow but very strong band of northerlies ahead, so diverted east and found windy.ty was exactly correct, so a wild Xwind ride across to Ashford. Unloaded my bike and rode into town for a sandwich and a rest. But rapidly developing storms so had to press on. Once again thanks to OZrunways and that radar overlay I was able to find a path between the now fully developed thunderstorms. Clifton was clear so landed there to watch developments.... Watched a storm on BOM radar headed for Kilcoy, until it cleared away to the north. Sure is wonderful this modern technology! So finally back home to Kilcoy, feeling relieved, and battered around as if I had just played overtime in a rugby game.....

So just proved that it isn't a good time of year for long flights..... Need to start first light and plan to stop by 1100, then retire to aircon accommodation cause it's too hot to tent out under a wing. And have a hangar space arranged for the aircraft because of those late afternoon thunderstorms.....

• Like 6