HOW TO FLY - No Really!

Some great info being shared above.   I'm sure kaz is a great guy, even if he is a lawyer....      Some of the nicest people I've met are too, as well as some of the sneakiest.

"..people who suffer hurt and damage are quick to go to lawyers to uphold their rights under those laws."  True, but it is usually lawyers who wrote the laws in the first place, enabling people .....  encouraging people.... to sue for damages.

The old adage "Rules are made to be broken" is so much more subtle and significant than I'd previously ever thought possible, until I read Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged".  The one valuable takeaway from the whole book was the notion that rules are indeed made to be broken, so those making them could exert moral authority over those breaking them without them actually behaving immorally!

M61 offered this further insight -  "I know it's not all lawyers Kaz, but there are a couple of big name ambulance chasers that come to mind, that appear to be always looking to set a new precedent to get their hands on some cash.  Turbo says that the law hasn't really changed since the 30's and I believe that, but some lawyers (along with magistrates) keep changing what is "reasonable".  

Turbo may be sort of right about the law not really changing since the 30's, but the whole structure changed in 1973 when Gough Whitlam changed a constitutional monarchy into a corporate government whose only head of power stems from Maritime law, which is based on contracts we unwittingly perfect without full disclosure, thereby rendering them illegal ab initio.  The only problem is that most people don't know they're illegal, and neither the Govt nor the legal chaps are likely to spoil our illusion, and after all, they have guns, and we don't.  Funny how that happened...   Anyhow, "the law" may not have changed much, but the context in which it functions has, dramatically.  That's why some lawyers and magistrates keep changing things according to the latest trend, because the rules governing them have basically dissolved.  If you can con someone into accepting a contract where you get their first born child as a slave, and the parties agree, and neither dispute the validity of the contract, then you're home and hosed.

Then M61 threw this blinder in - " Defence is spending millions, if not billions cleaning up a chemical not actually shown to cause harm".  Is that really true?  I must admit not bothering to look into it because it didn't interest me at all, but if that's true, I'm definitely not surprised.  A very common theme that's being playing lately.

Bruce added this gem - "I am heartily sick of "safety". The word is mouthed by those who seek personal gain by pushing regulations. Many years ago, it was religion that was useful to gain power, then patriotism came in. Now its safety."  

It truly is a religion, because you're treated like a heretic if you dare dispute the high priests, in this case, CASA, and the application of common sense is taboo.  How ironic it is that the bible itself advises to "Prove all things, hold fast that which is good."  But you won't hear that preached in any sermon.  In other words, don't believe anything at all unless you've proven it in your mind conclusively.  Sort of spoils the old blind belief in dogma line, doesn't it?

Finally, turbo provided this advice - "If you're adequately insured for Public Liability (as against Directors and Officers policies), and you don't commit culpable negligence, then you're unlikely ever to have to gripe about "lawyers" or "deep pockets", because if you do forget to refit the oil cap, or you do mess up a forced landing and someone is injured, your Insurance company will be managing all of that for you."   I could go into great lengths in response to this idea, but suffice to say my view of insurance is this -  Insurance is a bet you make against yourself in the hope that by losing, you win, against someone who knows the odds of you failing better than you do, and who never lose.  Insurance is for those who can't handle full responsibility for their actions, and prefer to be waste their money with insurance companies than invest in themselves.   Is that clear enough, or am I being too subtle.... ? 

You lost me after you called me a great GUY.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha 2
  • Winner 1

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been so eloquently insulted before Garfly.    Okay, you're not a great guy.  Happy now princess?  

And pm, what makes you think I should give a damn?    

Because it would indicate that you are not trolling this forum.

pm, good try, but that's not true.   If I was intentionally stirring people up and trying to be divisive, then it's possible I'm a troll.  Remember what I did to earn a earn a swipe from you, kaz, and Garf?    

To kick off as quizmaster, I'm starting with something easy, or so it would seem...  

Without going into long explanations, aerodynamics, or anything fancy, post answers below in one sentence.  The shortest correct answer wins.

The more you know about flying, the harder it is to describe it simply, at least until you know everything.  Then it's easy.

[ATTACH]39669[/ATTACH]

So a correct one sentence answer would be?

• Haha 1

Once again, some seem to lack a bit of awareness.

Kaz is a lady, not a princess.

Not a good sort of bloke.

Even blind Freddy knows women don't hear a compliment when you call em a bloke. But to then call her princess?

You do like to live dangerously

But most of all Kaz is a aviator who also happens to be female.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Winner 1

So a correct one sentence answer would be?

The simplest answer I can think of is Control Power and Attitude, Thruster. 

Attitude control includes balance, or yaw, and it is the key to preventing loss of control.  All the other stuff is window dressing.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
No responses?  Are we all in agreement, or doesn't that sound worthy enough to justify a response?  

Third option - your posts have been viewed by a significant number of people as nearly trolling ... so they are:

a. Ignoring your posts; or

b. Using the ignore function to not see your posts; or

c. Reading them and just saying to themselves - yeah ... nah

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 3

Years ago, this Tennant Creek guy was at the glider launch point and he was asked about conditions at Tennant Creek.  " you won't believe me " he said..  "course we will " we said.

" I saw a sheet of corrugated iron at 5,000 feet " he said.

" don't believe that " we said.

• Haha 1

My dog story was that there was a pile of things in the back of the Ute with a couple of sheets of corrugated iron on top. Max the dog jumped on and at speed he sailed past the drivers window, standing on a sheet like a surfer. Unfortunately he didn’t know how to round out and land, and broke a leg which took a few months to get over.

• Informative 1

Years ago, this Tennant Creek guy was at the glider launch point and he was asked about conditions at Tennant Creek.  " you won't believe me " he said..  "course we will " we said.

" I saw a sheet of corrugated iron at 5,000 feet " he said.

" don't believe that " we said.

My mate on Minnie Creek had quite a large hangar for his Aircraft and the Centre trusses were bowed upwards. He commented on this to the former owner who told him a cock-eyed Bob had come through and his previous C172 made a number of attempts to take off inside it.

the thermals are big north of the 23rd!

Third option - your posts have been viewed by a significant number of people as nearly trolling ... so they are:

a. Ignoring your posts; or

b. Using the ignore function to not see your posts; or

c. Reading them and just saying to themselves - yeah ... nah

Thanks for providing that option kasper.  What you've described would also suggest the possibility that a significant number don't know how to fly, and don't even know they don't know.   People in that category would exhibit similar responses to those listed, according to research findings that produced the Dunning-Kruger effect.  It's also an example of cognitive dissonance if someone finds information that doesn't resonate with previously accepted information, and instead of comparing the new information against the old for validity, takes the easy option and says - yeah.... nah.    Very scientific....  

For the record, trolls work to stifle effective debate usually by using emotive language.   All I'm trying to do is explain something I learned after years of flying and instructing that few people know, that will save lives.  Can I ask, would you be more inclined to pay attention if I was selling the information at great cost?

Thanks for providing that option kasper.  What you've described would also suggest the possibility that a significant number don't know how to fly, and don't even know they don't know.   People in that category would exhibit similar responses to those listed, according to research findings that produced the Dunning-Kruger effect.  It's also an example of cognitive dissonance if someone finds information that doesn't resonate with previously accepted information, and instead of comparing the new information against the old for validity, takes the easy option and says - yeah.... nah.    Very scientific....  

For the record, trolls work to stifle effective debate usually by using emotive language.   All I'm trying to do is explain something I learned after years of flying and instructing that few people know, that will save lives.  Can I ask, would you be more inclined to pay attention if I was selling the information at great cost?

No I’d not be interested at any cost.  I’m afraid I find your style of delivery to be quite off putting and I have been ignoring your posts for the past week or so simply because I do not enjoy or engage with your delivery. I generally do not use the block function and simply ignore or go yeah-nah where I am not engaged.  

Dont get me wrong i engage with people on ideas ideas where we will probably never agree and I enjoy considering options and views that others hold because they do inform my knowledge or engage my interest. 

I just don’t find you or your method of discussing engaging. 

• Agree 1

I don't know about sheets of iron at 5000 feet, that sounds like a real flight of fancy to me.

But I have certainly seen sheets of flying CGI at a couple of hundred feet, in the W.A. Goldfields, in the course of a violent cock-eyed bob.

The old man reckoned when he was in the Murchison in the 1930's, he found a three-legged, angle-iron windmill tower, that had been screwed up into something resembling steel wire rope, by a violent cock-eyed bob.

• Agree 1

I have never heard of a cock-eyed Bob before, google says its a WA thing, learn something new everyday.

Have seen a completely enclosed farm shed with trusses bent up from lifting force. 

• Like 1

So many big words! I'm flabbergasted!

As Pauline Hanson said "please explain"

I hope you know what he is saying Thruster 88 ?

I'm don't think I have the intellectual cognitive dissonance to resonate or validate the Dunning-Kruger effect. 

• Haha 1