What weather report do you use

Just as a matter of interest guys, where do you normally obtain your weather reports before flying?

I usually log in to NAIPS but am surprised how often it will not accept my log in. Must be due to IT problems at their end. Then I just go to the BOM but of course get no NOTAMS.

Good to see such a strong response for NAIPS, and I agree it's not always user friendly

If the NAIPS report was for moderate to severe turbulence then the question might be whether it was referenced, because the outcome of that report would pretty much produce the result.

AJ it does look like a structural break rather than a wire strike I agree. Wings can develop a wave action under severe two way stress and can even break into several pieces.

In turbulence it may have been possible to get some control over the aircraft for a short time before the inevitable final loss of control occurred.

The other concerning factor with this flight is that it has been suggested it was commercial.

I usually log in to NAIPS but am surprised how often it will not accept my log in. Must be due to IT problems at their end. Then I just go to the BOM but of course get no NOTAMS.

You have to change your password as they do expire, I had the same issue...

Just as a matter of interest guys, where do you normally obtain your weather reports before flying?

Hi Turbs

I use NAIPS to get area and location briefings, check the BOM site for local forecasts and observations and stick my head out the window because I never wholly believe anything I read.

Kaz

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Yes, we are required to use NAIPS, which gives us an aviation related forecast.

While something like "moderate to severe turbulence" is unambiguous, a lot of the time the short coded message doesn't make it easy to get a good picture, so I'm also a proponent of additional checks, and BOM gives a good visual picture: http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR024.loop.shtml#skip

Elders weather also often will add to the picture: http://www.eldersweather.com.au/

Seabreeze, designed for fishermen can also help with wind forecast at its locations: http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/default.asp

However, just don't forget you can't fly unless you use this one: https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/naips/Account/Logon

We're also lucky in Melbourne having a good visual reference of Mount Dandenong at 2077 feet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Add a severity level for light aircraft. If it says Mod, then in a 500 kilo aeroplane you can expect severe. If its forecasted as Severe, then expect anything up to and including limit testing turbulence in a 'ultra' light aeroplane. We fly for fun!!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Helpful 1

NAIPS for weather & NOTAMS. Willyweather (BOM) for backup & warning texts direct to my mobile. Weather Australia app on my Android tablet for simple quick updates, current conditions & (BOM) radar. Earth Wind map for overview.

Guest Andys@coffs

I don't believe if you were ramp checked that anything other than NAIPS would be acceptable because nothing else is aviation specific. Further given that access to NAIPS is now tracked via username password and area briefings have a "prepared for <USERNAME>" and "valid from xxxxxxxxx to xxxxxx" I think that any other alternate might see you having a difficult discussion.......

It also means that in the event of a crash and subsequent investigation there wont be any "he/she might have but we don't know...." debates or not, clearly they know if you did get a valid briefing or not.

Andy

What about WX/Notam from oz-runways, screen shot in photo album on iPad or AirPrint.[ATTACH]31023[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]31024[/ATTACH]

Sorry, not good enough due to only copying the page on screen.

I have an app (good reader) which copies the full wx pages including notams.

Legal from Casa with iPad I was told.

Phil.

What about WX/Notam from oz-runways, screen shot in photo album on iPad or AirPrint.[ATTACH]31023[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]31024[/ATTACH]

Or just "save" the report.

Kaz

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting thread. In my planning BOM and NAIPS are a must. Just before I head off a quick telephone call to the point of destination or a look at weatherzone to find out what is actually happening is the next step. At the end-of-the-day, in the mountain country I fly, it is a blend of this information, and experience, that keeps me safe. NAIPS area forecasts in this context have very limited use.

Cheers

Steve

Naips ipad app and its always worked perfect with no login required since the firts use.

rain ipad app which has bom radar

Weatherzone ipad app and willyweather...

For local flight i just use naips and a visual check