Ultralight crash North of Rockhampton

It's a very sad weekend for Caboolture we have lost one of core members which was up training very weekend bring new people to the sport three axis and weight shaft . He hangered a few doors up from me and was so excited when he had a new student to start teaching in the trikes . I only spoke to him a week ago about how keen he was instructing and said he hasn't lost any drive to teach as yet and loved it . Years back I flew my aircraft beside him and his wife Julie to narromine we all had a ball for the five days . I could never say have seen him do anything wrong and was one of the most experienced Raa instuctors in austraila bar none . Has flown and trike around Australia ,across Africa ,throw Europe country's as well . Also as flown and instructed dozens of 3 axis aircraft as well . He will be missed and my hart goes out to his wife and family . Your friend Danny

• Like 6
  • Agree 7

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy that these guys like Ross and Crezzi can have accidents, with thier wealth of knowledge, massive experience, and safe attitudes. Worries me when i see guys like that s having accidents.

Condolances to all you guys that know Crezzi personally.

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1

Crazy that these guys like Ross and Crezzi can have accidents, with thier wealth of knowledge, massive experience, and safe attitudes. Worries me when i see guys like that s having accidents.Condolances to all you guys that know Crezzi personally.

Hey DrZoos

They are human like the rest of us

No one is infallible or protected in the pursuit of flight

Even the best of them come unstuck unfortunately

We can all give up or we can continue

Flying is not unsafe it is unforgiving when something happens

I for one will continue my passion for flight

Today is history and tomorrow brings mystery we must go on

Alf

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Winner 2

Thanks everyone for your messages about Crezzie, it is clear that he had huge respect from everyone even those who didn't know him all that well, it goes to show the flying community is tight and it effects all of us when we lose one of our own. This is a very tough time for us who knew him well, it's still a shock that it could happen to someone with his experience and high standards of safety that he demanded all the time.

He will be greatly missed!

Fly safe fellow aviators, thanks again!

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

Yes, sad news... Crezzi was a trike pilot & friend from many, many years ago! Sad news.. for the fire fighter, Jason Caswell.

Both fine gentleman with wives, children, dreams and aspirations.

Sad news, these men have their lives taken in another trike accident.. in Australia.

As a pioneer to triking since 1972, today I am absolutely ashamed, disgusted and very sad to be an Australian trike pilot.

Fact: We Aussies have the highest accident/death rate for triking in the world... why, how and which aircraft contribute to this fact.

It is not ALL human factors... over 100 fatalities since 1982... no apology for my statements here!

Today, I flew from Yarrawonga to Mt Beauty, 6 people, 3 trikes, amazing fun, awesome memories..

A mix of smooth air, mountain air and strong SW gusty winds, all with safe departures, wise navigation and safe landings.

So, why are good experienced pilots with passengers, dying living the passion to fly trikes on a day we are all safe..!??

Yes, trikes are safe, like most well engineered sport aircraft we choose to fly these days.

The question, which type/model trike is involved the majority of trikers killed since 1982.

If you have the correct answer, you may understand why the triking industry is dying in Australia.

No politics - just true reason.

Sad news.

God bless the families suffering loss of loved ones to their family, at this tragic time.

Amen

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Thank you everyone for your kind comments and support, most of you who know me realise John and I worked very closely and were best friends. Close family and friends are just trying to rally around Julie at this tragic time and this has deeply affected our local Caboolture Microlights group as well as the greater sport aviation group beyond any words.

Even though the grief at the moment is unimaginaeable, Julie told me yesterday she was heartened by all the kind words for John so thank you and if I could ask everyone to respect the process and the families during this terrible time. Please also remember the other pilot and his family as the grief is being felt way beyond us in th e greater community around Rockhampton as well.

We are all hurting so badly right now but thanks I will update on any arrangements as soon as I can and when appropriate.

Rest in Peace John.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

Chris

Probably the most popular brand flying in Australia has caused the most deaths as they far out number the imported brands

As for human factors not being the majority of causes I would disagree with your comment as every accident has some form of human factors in it whether it be piloting skills, decision making, training, maintenance or lack of either

(not in anyway insinuating anything anything of the above was related to this accident)

They don't fly in to windmills by themselves in the dark, don't stall turning on to final by themselves, they don't fly well with floats strapped to the side of them, nothing flys well when the pilot becomes incapacitated, not even your imported brand and there are plenty more examples of human input accidents

A bit like comparing Australian made cars to imported cars for the majority of fatalities in Australia

Sounds to me like your having a cheap shot at a certain brand

If your not I apologise but that's what I'm reading in your post

Alf

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

Quite devastating . Someone so careful and experienced. With flying although it's fairly rare it's always possible you will be doing your last flight. I think most of us who have been doing it for a while realise it's possible to happen to US. It's still a shock when a forumite we feel we know, is involved.That's the nature of flying where the environment you are in is unique and getting back to earth may not be the way you intended. We need people like John always in this flying thing. Dedicated enthusiastic. etc. My sincere condolences to families and friends, who must bear the almost unbearable loss.. Nev

• Agree 6
  • Winner 1

Terribly sad outcome for John and the young 37 year old Jason from Rockhampton. These incidents are always hard to understand and accept. I never met John, but spoke to him and conversed with him on this forum like many of us. Rest in peace our two aviation brothers.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

I had a moment of second thoughts this morning, but glad for the wa coast flight today if a bit smoky, there is no reason not to have a great relaxing flight , these things tend to make me have a second look at what I'm doing ,and it is worth it

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • More 1

I had a moment of second thoughts this morning, but glad for the wa coast flight today if a bit smoky, there is no reason not to have a great relaxing flight , these things tend to make me have a second look at what I'm doing ,and it is worth it

When u compare to our roads and the risk u take just getting to work I say the risk is minimal but it can and will happen I guess

• Agree 1

As I sit here and read it was John I feel sick. He was one of the nicest guys I ever met and we shared multiple stories about flying and motorcycles.

I cant begin to fathom how this has happened or why such a lovely human being has been taken.

Fly high my friend and I wish you nothing but clear skies.

RIP John

• Like 4
  • More 1

Driving to the farm on this friday afternoon past we witnessed right in front of us how quickly you could die and not be any of your own fault. Some may have seen about the accident just north of Tiaro that closed the highway. I was 3 cars behind it and it was horrific. This guy in a brand new Kia was just minding his own business driving south at 100kph and all of a sudden this blue car crosses the white line turns sideways and impacts square on the drivers side into his car full on the front thats a collision speed of close to 200 kph. The explosion and bits was unbelieveable. The young girls car then cannoned back across the highway in front of us. I stopped told the Mrs to dial 000 and went past the Kia the driver got out and I asked him if he was ok he said yes with a lot of expletives so went to the young girls car. She was unconscious and large lacerations on her arm. We checked her pulse and I was amazed she was still alive to be honest. She started to come around after about 5 mins while 3 of us attended to her head position and making sure the car was safe. The police arrived but did nothing but look really which seemed ok as I thought we had the issue in hand then a off duty ambo turned up after 10 mins and he started to do his thing so I left it to him.

The reason for this post is to bring people back to the reality of things. I knew John quite well and have done work for him from time to time. You have far more chance of dying getting in your car and driving to the shops or driving on the highway and John would have said exactly the same thing. Its good to take stock of your situation and accidents like John's make us be more vigiliant even if only for a while in the way we approach our flying and maintenance.

We will hopefully find out what the cause was if it was mechanical and I would be leaning that way at the moment knowing how good John was with everything he did but no one is ever perfect. This is a great loss for our flying community up here and has deeply affected a lot of very experienced instructors and pilots. Everyone is still in shock with it but no one should stop what they love to do you just have to learn to be better at it to limit that risk we all take once we encroach into that 3rd dimension. Because the real fact of things is sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time and when its your time it is. Just make the most of what you have now and enjoy it and I am positive John would agree with me

Mark

• Like 2
  • Agree 12
  • Winner 2

I think John did his best in he's special way to be as safest as he could be doing aviation as a primary income . As well as he set a good example to those who flew around him and took being a CFI very seriously and was no cow boy at all . I remember he was standing beside me when I got the phone call that Wayne fisher had passed away he was in shock . I have often chatted in the hang with on the Risks of flying and learning from accidents around the place. In the months ahead I do hope they can piece together what happened so he can part all of us teaching us our final lesson to help us stay safe . When I learnt to fly back in the late 80,s at the age 15 there was a god father of scout ,kestrel ultralights called Ces . He pulled me aside and drummed into us don,t fly other people's planes as murph laws often comes into play . Ces came To forced he,s rule as lost is best friend many years before I started in flying someone else's plane . Murph,s law got Wayne fisher and the magor , and now our much loved John . So you do ponder as Ces is still alive and driving at 90 .

Rip John

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I really hope we do find out what happened here so that we can learn whatever lessons are appropriate from the loss of our good friend John Cresswell ... But I'm not holding my breath. As far as I know, we still don't know for sure what happened to Ross Millard, or Rob Pavan. Ra Aus investigate these accidents, but do they then publish their findings? If I've missed these reports I'll be happy for someone to point me to them. If I haven't missed them (because they weren't published) I think now might be a useful time to bring some pressure to bear on the organisation to publish.

• Like 1
  • Agree 9