Plane Crash Peachester QLD

Two men, aged 30 & 46 have been found deceased in their crashed aircraft in the Gold Coast hinterland. The aircraft, on a flight to Maroochydore, was expected to arrive at 5:30PM AEST.

When the aircraft failed to arrive as expected, a search was initiated, and the wreckage was found at about 8:30PM AEST, located in bushland along Commissioners Flat Road in Peachester.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sunshine-coast-hinterland-plane-crash-two-dead-in-peachester/f99a46f5-b8ae-4a58-bcd5-919c3634b390

RIP to those who perished. This is happening too often, lately.

The instructor was from my airfield well known and the student was from the Sunshine coast. The aircraft was a C150 from Sunshine Coast Aero Club. Both died on impact. No details yet that we know of other than that

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

was listening /watching an  ABC report 5 min ago, the Aerobat. It is reported, no mayday call was heard. That's about the only interesting tidbit. just a tv report of course... ...

7 hours ago, RFguy said:

was listening /watching an  ABC report 5 min ago, the Aerobat. It is reported, no mayday call was heard. That's about the only interesting tidbit. just a tv report of course... ...

It happens.

When we are going out training with an instructor and he says "Today we're going to do some forced landings" it's possible to do 4 or 5 perfect ones becaise our brain has been alerted and dragged up the checks and radio phrase.

I had an instructor who liked to push things to the edge pulling engine failures in the most unlikely places, and then it's not so easy. Once at 1000' he get me into a very awkward place to make a forced landing from and I really had to work hard to find a suitable paddock, and harder to get in position to use its length but I'd pulled it off.

Suddenly he yelled "WE'RE GONNA DIE!, WE'RE GONNA DIE!!!! and nobody knows where we are!"

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

My thoughts go out to family and friends. Instructors do the industry a great service and it a great loss when accidents like this happen.

Turbo, I guess we all have had odd moments with instructors. I was doing my NVFR training circuits at a country strip and very dark night when the instructor firstly noticed we were on fire (exhaust flame under aircraft) and after an emergency landing and a few more circuits he spotted an aircraft on a conflicting course (reflection of dome light in window not moving across screen). Both events required me to assess the situation and take action. The first was get on the ground ASAP as only he could see the flames from the exhaust and the second was to realise it was a reflection and continue to fly. It was good training.

• Like 1

Was just having a chat to my mate a very experienced pilot who was a ga instructor  and 737 captain.

He reminded me of the incident he had with a student in a 150 Aerobat years ago, when the seat back failed in a manoeuvre.???

• Like 1

If the seat fails, you pull back on the control yoke/stick, usually your feet are off the ground under the panel. nowhere near the pedals ?

Experience with a 182, i know what i am talking about and survived because the aircraft was in trim.  I then had to move to the other seat at about 300 feet to keep flying the plane cause the seat had come right out of its rails and was not moving back.  There is an ATSB report somewhere

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

13 minutes ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

If the seat fails, you pull back on the control yoke/stick, usually your feet are off the ground under the panel. nowhere near the pedals ?

Experience with a 182, i know what i am talking about and survived because the aircraft was in trim.  I then had to move to the other seat at about 300 feet to keep flying the plane cause the seat had come right out of its rails and was not moving back.  There is an ATSB report somewhere

I think he was referring to an earlier response FB

• 1 year later...

They should cover how strong the student was as I wouldn't rule out freezing on the controls. There was an incident in a c-150 at Port Macquarie where that happened and the rudder and fin cranked over when the speed built up due air load but they landed safely.. I have NEVER supported the Mueller/Beggs method as it can't ever be the optimum technique .  Spin characteristics are NEVER fully predictable   Some types more than others. Shielded rudder is a common issue.  Nev

• Informative 1

On 25/06/2021 at 7:06 PM, jackc said:

Sometime wonder IF a cockpit voice recorder is a good idea, may assist for investigations?

Or even just a simple car dash camera that records audio and video and cheap to buy.

On 27/06/2021 at 3:33 PM, BirdDog said:

Go Pro or Garmin camera will do a similar job!

Or even a simple 50 dollar car camera from supercheap auto  ,,put it on the dash and the sd card should survive most crashes .

Just now, bull said:

Or even a simple 50 dollar car camera from supercheap auto  ,,put it on the dash and the sd card should survive most crashes .

And they continuously record from when  the key is turned on in the aircraft  and all conversations and noises would be recorded and should survive a crash.

20 minutes ago, bull said:

It has to centred  behind the pilot looking out front. If we can see attitude, airspeed, controls, weather and what was happening leading up to any upset there would be little doubt as to how it all went down.

• Like 1

On 13/08/2022 at 11:11 AM, Thruster88 said:

Interesting that another student was briefed at the same time,

and likely the only reason we know of the incorrect spin recovery being taught for this aircraft.

I've heard of schools briefing students together. but I've only experienced individual briefs' immediately before the flight.

(or do the larger theory lessons when the flight is cancelled due to weather)

We still can't rule out a student freezing on the controls. I'd also think a C-150 aerobat  wouldn't be a complex plane to recover in a stall for an  experienced Pilot. PS I've always recommended the specific technique in the POH.. Never been a fan of Mueller/ Beggs unless as a last resort of a person who knows little about spin recovery across a fair range of types, where it can be argued it's better than nothing and/or the wrong technique being used. . Of all the planes I've spun I consider the DHC-1 Chipmunk the most concerning. I don't think I'm alone there as there was an enquiry (in Australia) into it in the 60's IF I recall correctly. Nev

This ATSB report on a Chipmunk crash in 2014 is interesting, in that it reproduces an issue of Aviation Safety Digest from 1960 - which describes the massive amount of testing that went into finding out how the Chipmunk spun and recovered.

The bottom line was, a huge amount of test-spinning revealed no deficiencies in the Chipmunk handling - but only deficiencies in pilot response.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5768080/ao-2014-114_final_report.pdf

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

I use two little action cams, just relatively cheap, not Gopros, one out on the left wing and one centrally above and behind my head. Always said that they are my equivalent to CVR and CDR should anything go wrong. They have the added advantage that I can critique my landings in retrospect!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1