The worst aviation scene in a movie. (Spoiler alert, Wonder Woman 1984)

Marty_d

I made the mistake of watching "Wonder Woman 1984" the other night. 

Not that Gal Gadot dressing in a very short skirt and very aptly-named breastplate is a bad thing, but even her charms couldn't make up for 2.5 hours of very weak plot and lacklustre action scenes.

The film reached its nadir when it came to the aviation bit.  So Wonder Woman and her resurrected boyfriend, who was a pilot in World War I - yes, ONE, he died during WWI in the last movie... need to get from Washington DC to Cairo, Egypt.

Naturally, instead of booking a couple of first class tickets, they use her access to the Smithsonian, go through the Air & Space museum to an airstrip, where a Panavia Tornado is sitting on the tarmac.

I'm going to have to list the following problems in dot point.

• The boyfriend who just woke up in 1984 after being dead for about 70 years, and who last flew a Sopwith Camel, was able to get in, start and fly a jet.
  • The Tornado, despite having a tandem cockpit, suddenly changed to side-by-side seating as soon as they got in.
  • After successfully taking off (and Wonder Woman turning the plane invisible, to eye as well as radar), they tooled around DC for a bit and flew THROUGH a fireworks display with expressions of wide-eyed wonder.  You'd think that someone who (from his perspective) was dodging flak in a Camel a couple of days ago would be a bit leery of flying towards exploding things in the sky.
  • After their scenic flight of the city, they then flew to Cairo.  Non stop.  Without refuelling.  9,300km in an aircraft with a range of 1,390km.  Without toilets, food or drink.  And imagine the DVT!

My humble opinion - give it a miss.  My disbelief was well and truly unsuspended.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

C'mon Marty - It's a pure BS, American movie!  You have to have your disbelief unsuspended, the instant any of these movies start!

Do a 10 metre high, 80 metre long jump in a s***box of an American sedan that normally handles like a marshmallow - and just drive off, right after you land? - Ri-i-ight!

Jump in and out of aircraft, start them and take off with no preflight checks, no flight plans, and no conversations with ATC?? - Ri-i-ight!

Have a massive explosive device go off right next to you - and you just roll out of the explosion and flames, and keep running with no shell-shock, deafness or blindness?? - Ri-i-i-ight!!

The idiotic scenes are endless in these movies, we used to sit and point out the absurdities, and have a great laugh about them. 

I remember reading about how many Dodge Chargers they went through in the Dukes of Hazzard. No-one really kept count, it was estimated they destroyed between 250 and 325 Dodge Chargers in 147 episodes.

Most of the Dodges just fell apart or somersaulted as they landed after a jump, and they had to provide another identical-looking car for the Dukes to keep driving off in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Watched Skyfall again last night. Bond is shot through the shoulder but continues to fight unaffected, is shot with a sniper rifle, falls off a train about 100 metres into a river, goes over a waterfall, etc etc.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 440032 said:

Biggles - Adventures in time.

Jumps out of a Sopwith Camel or something, straight into a Jetranger.

And from memory the book had him landing said Jetranger on an empty flat car on a moving train!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, FlyBoy1960 said:

The best/worst movie has to be Howard the Duck with some great footage and some terrible footage at the same time.   Amazing what the old quicksilver MX2 could do !

• Like 3

Just to balance the books, I've always thought this scene was pretty good.  Jimmy Stewart was an experienced WW2 bomber pilot and colonel in the US air force, so he would have known how to start an engine.  

• Agree 1
  • Winner 1

I’ve got both the Flight of the Phoenix movies, first one is a work of art, second one Hollywoodized! Although I did like J Cash’s intro song👍

whilst I’m sure all my fans will jump up and down about this but I found the movie Sully mostly awful! All over the place with numerous BS inaccuracies! 

Obviously heard of Smithy's plight enroute to UnZud when Bill Taylor did a mid-flight oil transfer from #3 to #1. Based on a true story and all that....

One I didn't like, though it's not on par with any of the above, Air Force One - the Harrison Ford one as the hijackers are taking over the plane the USAF flightcrew touch down just as the hijackers blow open the flight deck door. In an attempt to ensure AF1 stays on the ground, the Effo yanks the spoiler lever full up, rather than the engine start levers to cutoff. Reset the spoilers, and apply TOGA and the hijackers are now airborne with AF1 and POTUS. 🤮

Almost as bad as some of the train movies out there, Atomic Train, Runaway Train, Unstoppable - though the last one was based on a true story and did actually happen - but nothing like how the movie portrayed it.

On 14/10/2021 at 9:22 PM, Marty_d said:

I made the mistake of watching "Wonder Woman 1984" the other night. 

Not that Gal Gadot dressing in a very short skirt and very aptly-named breastplate is a bad thing, but even her charms couldn't make up for 2.5 hours of very weak plot and lacklustre action scenes.

The film reached its nadir when it came to the aviation bit.  So Wonder Woman and her resurrected boyfriend, who was a pilot in World War I - yes, ONE, he died during WWI in the last movie... need to get from Washington DC to Cairo, Egypt.

Naturally, instead of booking a couple of first class tickets, they use her access to the Smithsonian, go through the Air & Space museum to an airstrip, where a Panavia Tornado is sitting on the tarmac.

I'm going to have to list the following problems in dot point.

• The boyfriend who just woke up in 1984 after being dead for about 70 years, and who last flew a Sopwith Camel, was able to get in, start and fly a jet.
  • The Tornado, despite having a tandem cockpit, suddenly changed to side-by-side seating as soon as they got in.
  • After successfully taking off (and Wonder Woman turning the plane invisible, to eye as well as radar), they tooled around DC for a bit and flew THROUGH a fireworks display with expressions of wide-eyed wonder.  You'd think that someone who (from his perspective) was dodging flak in a Camel a couple of days ago would be a bit leery of flying towards exploding things in the sky.
  • After their scenic flight of the city, they then flew to Cairo.  Non stop.  Without refuelling.  9,300km in an aircraft with a range of 1,390km.  Without toilets, food or drink.  And imagine the DVT!

My humble opinion - give it a miss.  My disbelief was well and truly unsuspended.

Its a marvel dc movie. Comic book stuff. 🙄

6 hours ago, facthunter said:

IF you know a bit about flying nearly ALL stuff with planes in drives you nuts.  What was that GOOD one "Flying High"??  Nev

So that wasn't a real autopilot . 

23 hours ago, facthunter said:

IF you know a bit about flying nearly ALL stuff with planes in drives you nuts.  What was that GOOD one "Flying High"??  Nev

Movie with the longest running joke - using propeller sounds in a jet aircraft

• Like 2