RAAus Fails CASA Audit Again

Robert

Guest Andys@coffs
Andy,I and some others proposed we move the 2011 AGM to a Saturday so there could be more member participation. We also encouraged many members to attend. We had the best result for Canberra ever.

Having the AGM on a Friday afternoon in Canberra as in years past had very poor attendance. From memory some years only had MaxB. and Ken M. Present, apart from the Board themselves, and staff. occasionally we had some visitors.

You could get exact numbers from old minutes. You would need to discount the Board, staff and visitors to get the actual total of ordinary members. You could count them on one hand.

John McK

John

Thanks for responding.

To me , a saturday AGM meant I could go, a workday AGM and I have to forego 1 or more leave days...I think Saturday for an AGM is fantastic

I hope that teh Saturday approach and the travel to other locations around Australia so members can physically take part is also fantastic

Andy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good news from the RA-Aus website

Following advice from CASA late this afternoon RA-Aus may now resume the registration process of new aircraft.

The staff continue to work through the backlog of other registration issues.

We will continue to keep you updated via this means

Steve Runciman

President

• Like 1

As a very wise Jewish Senior manager once said to me 'Only ever teach 70% of what you know, You can never be made redundant then'.

Its amazing how many people dont get employed because the person interveiwing them are worried that they will take their job in the future because they are more qualified.

Well, we made it onto TV. The local Channel 7 news out of Bundaberg/Wide Bay is reporting the news that CASA is not allowing RAA to process new registrations. Vision included a reasonably unhappy Jabiru factory spokesperson, citing the fact that no registrations = no income, and a couple of CFIs, talking of tens of thousands of dollars (???) of lost business.

The reporter says registrations are expected by begin shortly.

I just heard that the Qld Courier Mail today was carrying some advertisment from CASA for a sport person to assist RAA. Has anyone seen or can find the advertisment and tell us what it said please

I just heard that the Qld Courier Mail today was carrying some advertisment from CASA for a sport person to assist RAA. Has anyone seen or can find the advertisment and tell us what it said please

Same ad is also in Fridays Australian page 31, for a Sport Aviation Technical Officer. Just the job for,oh I don't know,maybe an ex RAA CEO. :)

All jokes aside , that is what is needed. Ungerman, Poole could apply for that position. (Not inferring suitability, just saying that internal applicatons would be possible) I hope there is someone out there who can do this job and I reckon the job description is good. The fact this position is being created shows there IS a need for it. I have always said there is a disconnect between CASA and the Recflying types.

I have no idea where you will find the talent. I hope whoever gets it has broad RAAus "feelings",and does n't just impose regulations or we will go back years. GOOD move anyhow!. Nev

Just reading the CASA ad, if CASA are responsible for overseeing technical safety of the several quasi-independent bodies then they are going to need one, or maybe even several suitably qualified technical people, so I don't see any connect with RAA's audit issues other than perhaps stepping up Technical scrutiny several notches, so I don't see any real connect, although it does confuse me that CASA would prefer an instructor in preference to someone with multi-technical skills.

• Like 1

Just a couple of comments before I go and pull the Jab out of the Hangar for our weekly sojourn interstate. (Mildura to Wentworth, about 10 minutes over the Murray) Will most likely be required to mix it with Virgin, QANTAS, REX the Yankee Tangos (training) from Parafield, the Air Ambo and of course our mates at the glider field 2 nm's to the south west. It is testament to our RAA training that we co-exist in a usually safe and professional environment. I hope most other RAAus members are also involved today in their passion to fly and will perhaps pause for a moment to think about how we got to this point in history. I say think because it is the strategic thinking of all members that will ultimately shape the future of the organisation. The collective thoughts of members, distilled by an elected Board, into the directives that guide management.

I note that RAAus (our association) has advertised for a General Manager. I also note that the GM will be accountable to the Board via the Executive.

In my long experience in both Management and now Governance (as a Board Director) it is the separation of power and responsibilities of Board (governance) and the GM/CEO management, that is the key to a successful operation. The GM should report to the Board and be held accountable for his/her performance. The GM or CEO is the hinge between governance and management (operations), not the Chairperson. The role of an executive committee is essentially for house-keeping duties between board meetings and for the development of board agendas - a clearing house for member initiatives/comments/concerns, communications and financial monitoring.

When the board (or part of the board) crosses the line into management it is almost impossible to hold anyone responsible when things go pear shaped. Lets hope the new GM is carefully selected and the culture that appears to occupy the Executive Committee, can be excised. Our little flying Club operates with a committee of management, as do most. Its not appropriate for an organisation with 12,000+ and growing. Think out sideways, (as many postings on this forum are doing), use the technology and tap the resource base of members across Australia. And be democratic - accommodate the thinking of others.

Well I'm off and expect some spirited debate in the hangar after flying........there is no lack of interest in RAAus over our way.

Pete

• Like 6

I have a few questions ,

At this EGM what questions will be asked, precisely ?

For those who are unable to attend who can we contact to act as a proxy?

If the meeting can be podcast would texting be more appropriate , rather than phones going off in a meeting?

What , specifically are the goals? , sackings? Standing down exec ? Showing Tizz the door?

Has any thought been given to how we will enact the new accountability ?

As most forums are privately owned they're, in my experience , not exactly bastions of free speech,

Does the RAAus site have provision for a forum?

And as a side issue , spriteah I voted for you to be a new , breath into RAA , but after seeing that you've seemed to fallen in with the old guard I for one am disappointed , did it not seem wrong to bypass the constitution , and previous precedent , and place what was basically an ordinary member to the role of president.

So far we haven't seen anything in black n white as to what precisely what needs to be fixed, have I missed it somewhere ?

Met

• Like 5

Metalman2,

I think you have pointed to one of the biggest difficulties.

We simply have been told so little, it is difficult to propose useful solutions.

What would be ideal would be for attendees to ask questions, then hear the board, then propose resolutions if required.

However, with the paucity of information we have, and the geographic difficulties, the one thing we can do is to propose and provide questions in advance, and then have a series of resolutions to be proposed either;

- regardless of the answers to questions; or

- only if some answer does not meet some precondition.

The second doesn't sound very practical, the first is very arbitrary, as the most serious problem has been lack of information on which to base a resolution.

A third option would be to give your proxy to someone you trust who will be at the meeting. This may not be so simple either, as this requires someone you agree with to be there. Agree with on which issues? All?

So maybe, as a start, we could discuss questions to be asked? I simply don't have any ideal solution as to how to translate the possible answers to these questions into resolutions.

dodo

• Like 2

What happens if you don't know anyone that is going to the EGM to give my proxy too? I don't get a vote and or my opinion or question can't be asked...this has been my issue with this all along..

A lot has been said about apathy from members..well make it easier for members to participate and just maybe the participation level will rise as well !!!!

• Like 2

What happens if you don't know anyone that is going to the EGM to give my proxy too? I don't get a vote and or my opinion or question can't be asked...this has been my issue with this all along..A lot has been said about apathy from members..well make it easier for members to participate and just maybe the participation level will rise as well !!!!

I agree. That is why I set out the options I could see for members, none of which are ideal.

And on the participation, well, I think some board members have been quoted as saying members don't participate because they just wish to fly. I don't totally disagree with that, but I believe (along with you) that useful participation is difficult, and this discourages participation. I didn't go to the meeting at Heck Field as it was too far. Technological solutions may be a future solution, but not the immediate future - ie the next meeting.

Bluntly, my biggest concern is that lack of information means we can't easily form our individual opinions and concerns. If we could, we could propose changes where required, or oppose changes if we think they aren't required. For instance, if the issues were out in the open, you could vote your proxy, and wouldn't need to be present, and could have confidence that the discussion would be reported back to you. Not as good as being able to directly participate, but a lot better than the current situation.

So my focus would be on getting better communication from the board. How we get that message through? I think it has been said often,but not clearly heard.

dodo