Aircraft incident Nanneela Vici

Forget about praising the trained pilot who carried out a standard procedure. Let's all contact the Riverine Herald and praise the journo who actually correctly identified the aircraft involved, and resisted the urge to have a Cessna plummet from the skies.

"He was able to glide the plane down and land on its wheels in a paddock."

OME

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Forget about praising the trained pilot who carried out a standard procedure. Let's all contact the Riverine Herald and praise the journo who actually correctly identified the aircraft involved, and resisted the urge to have a Cessna plummet from the skies.

Well that journo is clearly going nowhere in their career........

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The pilot may have been well trained but an engine failure in the air, very rarely, if ever, occurs to a set pattern! I praise the pilot for having the skill to carry out the landing with no obvious damage to the aircraft...Regardless of the training received, unfortunately, as we`ve seen too often,not everyone has that ability.

Frank.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Well for 90% of the RAA fleet it is probably a fairly accurate comment, I know on mine if I get an engine out it would have to be a seriously thermally day to keep up there for too long. I work on a rough figure of 10:1, I am not sure of what the 'average' glide ratio of recreational aircraft is but I would be surprised if it was above 15:1 so I would say for the majority of us that the engine is the main thing that is 'keeping' us up there.

Two rules to keep in mind with RAA engines.

1. if its a two stroke always keep a landing paddock in sight - its not a matter of where but when.

2. If it a four stroke both Rotax and Jab - its IN GOD WE TRUST and cross fingers.

I am not sure of what the 'average' glide ratio of recreational aircraft is but I would be surprised if it was above 15:1 .

One of the highest is the Topaz at 17:1, but they are few and far between.

topaz.JPG.0c683a62a27f657e7ad5fae96bf90e4b.JPG

I wouldn`t say "Don`t fly over what you can`t land on" but I certainly would say, "Don`t fly over anything you can`t land on, if you`re not within gliding distance of a suitable landing area."

Frank.

As for glide ratio, my Eurofox is 9:1. The Dynon Skyview displays a green calculated "glide ring" on the moving map display. It is offset for winds aloft, and elevated terrain. I expect it would make decision making much easier and quicker should the Rotax up front decide to quit.

Crossing over to Tassie at 9500, it is a comfort to see a nice large glide ring extending over various ALA's especially around Flinders Island.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

As for glide ratio, my Eurofox is 9:1. The Dynon Skyview displays a green calculated "glide ring" on the moving map display. It is offset for winds aloft, and elevated terrain. I expect it would make decision making much easier and quicker should the Rotax up front decide to quit.Crossing over to Tassie at 9500, it is a comfort to see a nice large glide ring extending over various ALA's especially around Flinders Island.

This is a genuine question, not having a go as it is not my neck of the woods. How often would weather allow you to be VFR at 9500 crossing Bass Straight?

Mick, you do need to pick your day carefully. This time of year is fairly good. I've only done the crossing once each way - cloud kept me lower on the return journey.

Others on this forum do the Tassie trip more frequently, so perhaps they are better qualified to comment.

Melbourne weather being what it is, much can change north or south of the Kilmore gap, and that is my most frequent challenge.

Sorry for the thread drift.... perhaps this needs a fresh thread...

• Like 1

have you checked out how many feet after that fan stops you lose before you obtain best glide speedneil

Neil

If you use the principle of "speed to height" then in the event of an engine failure at cruise speed, converting to best glide would result in an altitude gain before commencing your glide - the gain varying on the excess speed above glide speed in the particular aircraft obviously.

• Agree 5

The average glide ratio is probably in the vicinity of 10:1 with most models with a FEW good performers doing a lot better, and some worse. Know your plane. LP aeroplanes (as RAAus define them) have low inertia characteristics so you will get to best glide speed rather quickly after the fan stops as your cruise speed is not too far above the best glide speed. In fact you are taught to adopt a nose lower attitude to preserve a safe airspeed, without delay.

You might wish to make a course change rather quickly too, if there is no suitable landing area directly ahead, and that will require a higher airspeed than best glide.Nev

• Agree 3

The average glide ratio is probably in the vicinity of 10:1 with most models with a FEW good performers doing a lot better, and some worse. Know your plane...

Spot on Nev. This leads us inevitably to the old debate about training with an idling propeller: does it give the same glide performance as a stationary prop? We're not allowed to test that.