95.25 (SUPERCEDED)

G.A. TYPE CERTIFIED

EARLY AMATEUR BUILT

FACTORY BUILT WEIGHT SHIFT OR POWERED PARACHUTE

95.32 W/S OR PPC (including LSA)

FACTORY BUILT AEROPLANE

101.55 (non LSA)

• Helpful 2

Emergency landing huh, I'd like to see thatWonder why the public think we are cowboys

Foxbat Pilot

The initial reports of emergency landing probably came from a bystander or media. It sounds like the pilot had landed on the sand before. He may have had permission, could have been a private beach, who knows. Nothing necessarily cowboy about that. Planes landing on the beach up in Qld all the time. He may have just been unlucky on this occasion and the nose wheel went into a soft spot.

I don't know of any beaches in Victoria you can land on legally as most are crown land national parks

French Island may be privately owned

Be interesting to see if this Foxbat was privately owned by the pilot or a hire one

Still not a smart thing to do in any case IMO

The initial reports of emergency landing probably came from a bystander or media. It sounds like the pilot had landed on the sand before. He may have had permission, could have been a private beach, who knows. Nothing necessarily cowboy about that. Planes landing on the beach up in Qld all the time. He may have just been unlucky on this occasion and the nose wheel went into a soft spot.

Yep. Landing beaches is passé up here. (Qld) Done with care etc but is common when you have lots of beaches with no one on them and no access apart from by air.

• Agree 2

What's all the fuss about? How come the police are involved. It is just a precautionary landing. Surely you can stop and have a look if you are not happy with the performance/ weather without getting splashed all over the news.....

• Agree 1

Pilots discretion if he thinks it is suitable for an ALA and has permission of land owner or public beaches with no risk to people and he thought he has heard a little miss or cable binding etc precautionary landing ,all legal............

• Agree 2

I dont agree with you Bull, this circumstance is totally illegal. "little Plane" incidents are regularly featured in the media and more often than not the report is highlighted by the fact that the pilot "was very experienced" and more than not Mr Experience had tried to do something with the aeroplane it wasn't capable of doing. Clearly this incident can only be characterised in that way, it was too heavy for the runway but the idiot tried anyway. And more than that it is illegal unless he got the permission of the land owner, and considering who that is I reckon that would be impossible. I hope he gets well and truly reamed because idiots like him only bring in to disrepute the majority who do the right thing.

Dear Mr Ward. I do not understand your position....... I was over French Island the other day doing my BFR when my instructor ask me to point out a "precautionary landing " location. I did so and made an approach.(but not below 500 ft) So, according to you, had the engine failed or a fog bank come up or some other emergency arisen I would be in more trouble than Ned Kelly had I made a landing? I don't see where the illegality comes in. I believe I have the right to land in an emergency and not get prosecuted for it. Almost anywhere. Even if it is on the beach and, even if I cock it up and bury my tailwheel. I don't hear anywhere here that the pilot did not make a Pan Pan call..What do you propose a pilot does in an emergency? Just not land? Do you suggest that the pilot just crash and die? ............................... Are you one of the people that has to have "What I can do" spelt out for him. Rather than "What you must not do?" If the pilot wanted to go for a swim and did not have permission then he will be in a bit of bother and get a "please explain" from CASA.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sand a bit softer than "USUAL". I wonder what usual is? I suppose it's free world and you can do things that only affect yourself , but how often does that situation really exist? . He should have been landing on an outgoing tide, if all other criteria were satisfied. Sand is unpredictable, except in certain places where it IS a reliable surface. IN an emergency you might not have a lot of choice and that kind of aircraft would have a good chance of surviving due to it's low forward speed. Was it an emergency? I think I would claim it was . I'm not likely to do it otherwise. Nev

• Agree 2

In an emergency you can land anywhere basically.

Question is was this an emergency??

Going by what Peter Harlow was writing it didn't seem so

I'm not going to condone this pilot if it was genuine, my other question is was the pilot the owner of the aircraft, if it was a hire one and I was the owner I'd be pretty ticked off if it wasn't an emergency

Its a shame you dont understand my position Geoff particularly as you were doing a BFR, did you pass it.

If there is a problem, fog, emergency etc etc or the precautionary situation you have eluded to then, if you have to land you would do it wherever you can, and clearly you wouldn't be in any kind of trouble (relating to where you landed that is).

That wasn't the case with this bloke.

He went for a FUN fly and decided for the FUN of it to land on the beach. He had heard of others doing it (I might add illegally) and he did it for the hell of it. THEN he made a call to the police and emergency people to help him move the aeroplane up the beach away from the rising tide.

I reckon he will be getting a "please explain" from everyone involved and as I noted I hope he gets reamed.

My position is that I am uncomfortable with the ever growing fact that too many people in the broader community believe small planes are not safe when in reality they are incredibly safe. In the majority of incident cases its the pilots who are not safe and Mr Illegal Beach landing is another one of them.

• Caution 2

The poor guy had a go at landing on a deserted beach in a STOL aircraft and got it a bit wrong and it will cost him quite a bit I imagine. He will be the wiser for it. No one got hurt and the cops got to go to an interesting job for them. No need to vilify the guy! He's a fellow pilot who made a mistake.

• Agree 3

Sand a bit softer than "USUAL". I wonder what usual is? I suppose it's free world and you can do things that only affect yourself , but how often does that situation really exist? . He should have been landing on an outgoing tide, if all other criteria were satisfied. Sand is unpredictable, except in certain places where it IS a reliable surface. IN an emergency you might not have a lot of choice and that kind of aircraft would have a good chance of surviving due to it's low forward speed. Was it an emergency? I think I would claim it was . I'm not likely to do it otherwise. Nev

I've flown there a lot; forced landing? there's a grass strip on the island, beaches? mangrove country, big tides, boats get stranded all the time by mistakes, a lot of waterlogged sand - very different to places like Rainbow Beach.

• Like 1