• 45-50
    • 50-55
    • 55-60
    • 60-65
    • 65-70
    • 75-80
    • 80+
    • 70-75 (sorry.... 8-P )
    • 40-45 (even more sorry....Should've got my 6 year old to do it)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I’d be more interested in the age you learned to fly. That would really show if recreational flying was working to attract the working younger people or just the older retirement Age group who are using life earnings to do the flying thing.

Started in 1972 at 13, solo at 15 in gliders.

25 for GA

Robert

When was the last time you read, heard or saw any sizzle promoting going out there and flying?

When I decided I wanted to fly, 12 yrs ago, I had to chase it up myself.

The worst thing the RAA do is marketing and promotion. Too busy chasing imaginary safety demons....

It could do with another couple of thousand pilots badly. Adding younger blood to to the mix and spreading the financial burden...

I think the RAA should have a "set up" display that could be shipped to clubs, flyins and events. They (and aero clubs in general) need to get out of the aviation sphere and into other hobbies shows and expo's (4 WD & boating).

Pastimes based on disposable income I guess.

Too many times promotions basically preach to the converted. It is outside of aviation that needs to be targeted. That is where the new blood and new pilots are....

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Back when Lightwings were invented from Howie, for example - some schools or people put them on displays in shopping malls or those car parks and even domestic airports to get students with people handing out information and X amount to be a PILOT! . Worked very well. Crowds of people.

Have never seen it since. Marketing 101 - let them see it, touch it, and sign them up.

• Like 2

Ultralight aircraft in airports..... freakin brilliant! I was at the international terminal the other day and all I saw was a shtty BMW......Mining FIFO depature/arrival areas would be prime I recon....

I work FIFO and the number of people in my crew who are intrigued that I built my own plane, and the performance you can get from some light aircraft is surprising. As I tell them, for much less than the cost of a 200-series, you can buy a Mooney/Bonanza and have door to door times faster than paying $5,000 for a round trip for your family to Perth - and without having to deal with the muppets at airport security! A 9 hour drive becomes a 2H45M flight, etc etc. Sure it isn't RAAus, but it's a start! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

No point. The poll result would be zero.

Yes it would be zero......on here, out there in the real world however would be somewhat different! Doesn't matter what is put in place for rules & regs some will always abuse it!!

I'm currently 33, got my RaAus cert when i was 27 or 28, starting RPL in the next week or so fingers crossed. From when I 1st got my RaAus to now, I have not been very active for various reasons.

My belief is that "the old guard" with the superiority complex keeps/drives away a lot of the younger (or even older for that matter) people. Take that under the understanding that I dont mean *ALL* the old guard have that attitude, but that the ones that *DO* have that effect, and are often the loudest, hence the negative effect. And that group encompasses Raaus and GA, with both often looking at the other with (unfounded and non-sensical) contempt

• Agree 3

Solo @ 16 in 1961, private @18 in ‘63 in US. Moved to Canada in 2000 and transferred license to Canadian AULA, (Advanved UltraLight Airman) basically the same as US Sport Pilot ticket. No medical and VFR only. I’m now 73.

I'm 31 and started at 15 and with the help of the AAFC got some hours up. Got my PC 2015, bought a plane 2016 thinking I had bought a low end machine that would do for now... Wrong I had the most fun aircraft going a TST. The hangarage costs are a factor but I agree mostly that people choose to spend their money on other things.

I'm in Johannesburg right now, though, and from my motel there was a flying school 5 minutes away that does the equivalent of the PC and two more within 30 minutes either way all within 30 mins of the CBD. It's how Aus should be.

The flying school I hire from seems to have plenty of young students and pilots. I am not sure that they tend to join flying clubs or forums.

I am just about to turn 56, I first learned to fly when I was 26. I only flew for a couple of years and then gave it away. At the age of 46 someone bought me a TIF and I have been flying for the last 10 years. I am contemplating hanging up my headphones sometime in the next couple of years.

The results are in: there are 2 young people coming up through the ranks.

In this mini survey, yes, but this survey so far has only covered 1.2% of the flying and non-flying members of RAA.However, it certainly seems to point to an over 45 market, with a peak at 55-60, and strong numbers out to 75 - maybe that's where the marketing should be aimed, with an emphasis on the 45-50 demographic.

If you look at the RAA training centres (CFI list), there's a good geographic coverage, with the exception of the Capital Cities (due to the problem of airfield availability).

Comparing RAA with BMX Australia, BMX has about the same membership, but more locations.

It has a distinct spread of divisions, each with specific purposes.

Mini Wheelers

These ride balance bikes (no pedals), aged up to five years old.

This is the start of the journey up through the ages, and brings numbers of parents in.

Sprocket Rockets

Up to 8 years old, designed for building skills; there are winners, but often trophies are given to all participants, so they get the feeling of achievements.

There aren't too many sports where six year olds can win an 800 mm high trophy like this - tends to build the desire to try even harder.

Open

This membership covers anywhere in Australia, with competition classes available right up through the ages to 50 and over.

Four month licence

This allows a new rider to experience BMX as a trial

Club Membership

This allows riding at the home club only

Freestyle

This covers riding at skate parks and other council approved facilities.

These are riders who just want to mess around locally, but gives them training.

Volunteer

Membership is free of charge for volunteers, officials, coaches of all levels.

It provided public liability, professional indemnity and personal accident cover.

This system has incentives to draw members in starting at around 4 years of age, right through to the point where they can't ride a bike any more.

It builds peer groups of around the same age, who often mix with each other for life.

And it provides the necessary 21st century administration at every event.

A very impressive organisation.

IMG_9228.JPG.32019f48120a38e261cb2b9290615e89.JPG

Solo in gliders at 24 in 1969. This was older than the guys who used to beat me in competitions. Power flying in 2001 at 56.

Looking back, I was part of the golden age of gliding and when I retire from it in a year or two, the gliding scene will be much smaller than when I started. My first syndicate Libelle cost $6,800 ( split 3 ways) at a time when my wage was $5,800 and the mortgage was $40 a month.

Power planes suit old guys better, so the Jabiru flying will last longer.

Commenced flying lessons at 20, got married and raised kids - no cash for aviation, kids all married, switched to RAAus and pilot certificate at 55, built a couple of aircraft and still enjoying them at 71. I suspect this may be a typical chain of events among us recreational aviators!

I’ve ticked 45-50 but as I’ve pointed out on other forums is the that the question should be about what year you are born. Your age changes making the poll increasingly inaccurate over time. Make it year and it will remain correct forever :)

Guest Guest
The results are in: there are 2 young people coming up through the ranks.

Hahaha, I like that, somewhat true

I woz honest and fell into the 60-65 segment,and most body components comply to this category, but does new 2 and 4 year old hip prosthetics bring the overall average down a bit?

30, and currently a student.

TIF was in January.

I first wanted to learn to fly when I was 19, but my parents were scared so I didn't. Since then I have mostly been unable to afford it (due to the damn house prices) until this year.