• 45-50
    • 50-55
    • 55-60
    • 60-65
    • 65-70
    • 75-80
    • 80+
    • 70-75 (sorry.... 8-P )
    • 40-45 (even more sorry....Should've got my 6 year old to do it)

Following on from musings in the Qantas cadet thread, it got me wondering just how many young people are coming through the ranks who fly for fun.

It seems to me that most recreational pilots are on the wrong side of the 50-60 age bracket, and there are not an awful lot of people taking up flying for their own enjoyment at the younger end of the spectrum. My personal opinion is people simply can't afford it if you want to own a house these days, but that was also my experience 20 years ago when learning to fly out of Toowoomba...

So, that leads us to the poll above, to see just what sort of demographic we have here on the RecFlying forums...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you can buy a new Jabbawocky for a tenth of the price of a home in the boondocks of Sydney- it is housing costs and transport that are the big factors.

If you don't buy you can rent but still pay a fortune and find it hard to get a deposit. The cost of living and poor wages are the big factors.

• Caution 1

I think that places to fly are more a reason not to fly.. Well let me explain. There appears to be a shift of people to the big cities. That's where the big paying jobs seem to be. But flying in the cities of Melbourne and Sydney is more expensive than the country and so a long drive is often needed to the country. Look at the airport demolition we have had in Sydney. From my northern suburbs of Sydney it is at lest an hour's drive to a suitable airport. Even Bankstown, and Warnervale are expensive. So after forking out a fortune for accommodation in the big cities the younger people just don't have the time and money for flying. My daughter would love to fly, but taking care of her daughter doesn't leave the time to travel.

• Like 2

There has been a change in the outlook of people over the last couple of decades or so.

The wine industry has grabbed a chunk of the weekly budget.

To a degree, this is offset by a reduction of cigarettes, but when you look at the weekly spend of a smoker these days, that group is pretty much out of affording most hobbies.

Now the relaxation upmarket cafes have grabbed a slice of income big enough to prevent buying a home Millionaire tells millennials: if you want a house, stop buying avocado toast

People have choices, but compared with the reality you pointed out Geoff_H, it's easier just to roll out of bed, jump in the car, and drive a couple of blocks down to the nearest coffee shop for an hour or so.

Woolworths initiative of cooking chickens in-Supermarket, along with smart marketing from the chicken industry is having a serious effect on he sheep and cattle industries.

The financial mix has shifted, with new competition for our dollars.

There's an old marketing saying: "Sell the sizzle, not the steak"

When was the last time you read, heard or saw any sizzle promoting going out there and flying?

I’d be more interested in the age you learned to fly. That would really show if recreational flying was working to attract the working younger people or just the older retirement Age group who are using life earnings to do the flying thing.

I’m a bit like that country song about the car with different bits from different years. I had my first lesson at 21 in 1968 and with gaps for mainly financial reasons, got my British PPL around 1980 or so, more gaps with a move to Australia in 1984 and still more gaps before I converted to Australian PPL, still flying but again for financial reasons, not sure for how much longer.

The real poll question that also should be included is, how many are flying without a current RAA pilot cert - or GA license or BFR.

No point. The poll result would be zero.

15 in the A,T,C.

About 1957, cousin went on to get license, I was told "will never be a pilot" & still not succeeded.

BUT I'm not dead yet!,

egmwa: Lots By RPT, and if any " GOOD LUCK" to them.

( Have had a fair few offers of illicit flying fields)

spacesailor

Too old to fly, take up bird watching:oh yeah:

'Bird watching' is, and always has been my main past-time, but I still manage to get the Jab up fairly regularly. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif. Was speaking to Lilydale CFI this morning who indicated that they are currently flooded with students, managing to keep 5 or so instructors fully occupied . He was doing a doctor charter into YBNS in a Beechcraft twin, which meant him hanging around filling in time ..... Bob

'Bird watching' is, and always has been my main past-time, but I still manage to get the Jab up fairly regularly. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif. Was speaking to Lilydale CFI this morning who indicated that they are currently flooded with students, managing to keep 5 or so instructors fully occupied . He was doing a doctor charter into YBNS in a Beechcraft twin, which meant him hanging around filling in time ..... Bob

And I'm one of those students :)

28 this year and finally flying, after being told by doctors for years it would not be possible.

I was told I wouldn't even be able to drive a car when I was a kid (early eye issues) and I stupidly believed them without question. Now I have learned my eyesight is more than sufficient for a Class 2 Medical and maybe even a Class 1. Currently re-assessing my career options and may dump the current path and go for CPL.

YLIL is the perfect place to learn in my books. Can't wait to try out the new J160 :)

• Like 4

I’d be more interested in the age you learned to fly. That would really show if recreational flying was working to attract the working younger people or just the older retirement Age group who are using life earnings to do the flying thing.

I was 23 when I first started flying but was only 21 hours in to GA when we had the recession we had to have in 1987

2 kids, mortgage something had to give

Took it back up at 40 in 2004 and been hammering it since