RAA & Survey Monkey

John Robert

I have just tried to complete the RAA online survey most appropriately named as managed by "Survey Monkey".

This is typical of a managed survey that is designed to provide a known out come, the following question must be answered or the survey can not be completed.

Quote:

18. Sport Pilot is currently delivered to 1500 paying subscribers. The production and distribution of the magazine is subsidised by the membership at large. This is not sustainable.

I believe:

RAAus should increase the cost of the magazine so subscribers pay the true cost.

RAAus should invest in other delivery channels to ensure all members benefit from the content

End of Quote:

I DO NOT believe either of these is in my interests yet the only way to complete the survey is to agree with either one of these items & as a final insult, prefix that with an "I Believe"

I will let RAA know that I think they are conducting a very shonky survey.

I hope other members will do the same

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Just did the survey. I am not sure what the point of the survey was unless it is to get rid of the printed magazine.

The output from HQ is too reliant on people exploring the minute of the manuals. Clearer less wordy emails on the issues covered by the manuals reminding us of our obligations and alerting us to regulatory changes would be better. If distributors want to sell their next plastic fantastic let them pay the full cost of their advertising and don't make the membership subsidise their marketing costs.

The printed magazine is a marketing item - send it to every doctors surgery and watch the participation rate grow. It would certainly be better that the 2013 English magazine that was on offer on my visit to the GP the other day! A longer print run makes the cost per issue drop. Maybe China printing and distribution is an option.

The paper magazine is one of the largest expense the organisation has, it is not sustainable

if there was other options other than stoppong the print or raising rees the answer would be there or more likely already under way

The paper magazine is one of the largest expense the organisation has, it is not sustainable

if there was other options other than stoppong the print or raising rees the answer would be there or more likely already under way

Yes, but the option to reply "Stop the magazine" is not there, so it assumes ALL answers will be one of the two optioned.

All questions could have the optional answer "None of the above"to give some fairness........  

• Agree 1

I did the survey too.  I thought the idea was either 1.keep the magazine but subscribers have to pay the true cost, or 2. stop printing & posting the magazine and put the money into other ways of keeping us informed and amused.

The RAA have listened to people complaining their fees are going up and this is one way of remedying it.  At least they are asking before calling tenders for someone to produce a glossy magazine for a year or two.  If the cost does go up to the true production cost then I predict a number of the 15% of members who subscribe will reneg leaving the few to pay a higher subscription. 

As for sending it to doctors' surgeries - it was in newsagents for sale, and that didn't give any stellar increase in membership, only cost more than it was worth, and was scrapped.  The arrangement (which was commercial-in-confidence) was, AFAIK, the Editor chased advertising and kept the proceeds to offset his price to produce, print & post a magazine.  With only 1,500 readers, advertising revenue wouldn't be too flash.  It might be hard to find someone willing to take it on at a reasonable cost.  When the same guy did both AOPA & RAA there may have been savings.  But AOPA has ditched it's print magazine and gone to an on-line hodge-podge of unrelated articles that you have to click through to.

• Like 1

Printed glossy magazines for small interest groups will all cease to exist within 5 to 8 years, because the print runs get smaller every year, and the costs of printing and paper keep rising.

Two magazines I subscribe to, have gone to electronic delivery, DVA's "Vetaffairs" News Letters have largely gone to electronic delivery (just keeping a few in print form, for the old vets that are not computer literate).

Take a look at the Pat Callinan RV Daily magazine for caravanners, campers and four-wheel drivers. It only comes in electronic form, and it's very readable.

http://patcallinanmediapty.patcallinanmedia.com.au/index.php?action=social&chash=208e43f0e45c4c78cafadb83d2888cb6.1468&s=8b8f01d55748131218e2e69003d45be1

• Agree 2

End it now. I can read on an iPad or computer. And I have tried offering to Doctor's surgery, they won’t take it, or any so-called men's interest magazines. Just national Geographic and Women’s Weekly, and all the ones with the royal family on the cover.

• Agree 1

The passing of Mark Smith will be the end for the printed magazine.

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I just renewed my subscription before his passing.

Tried the electronic version but just not the same as having it sitting beside the couch to browse at leisure.

• Agree 1

Survey Monkey is a commonly used Facility. Yes, As that Questionnaire is formatted  it's essentially Push Polling, not a genuine way of getting your input.  IF you WANT an unbiased survey it's not that easy to prepare but can be done, IF you have the desire and put in the effort. I've experience in this area to a supercritical audience  so I'm not just talking hot air.

People now who are not on line are increasingly disconnected but don't worry about them, If you are happy, that's all that matters?. In Aviation some information MUST be communicated  to EVERY member to perform the function of regulators, and even to notify the details of an AGM. is a legal requirement of a incorporated body. 

Being effectively on line is pretty costly in time and money and currently we have about the worst Internet service of all the countries we like to compare ourselves with. We are not living in Singapore. I'm on ADSL2 and recently was incommunicardo for about two weeks. I've also had stolen credit card details events requiring 3 new cards in less than one year. A total time without use of about 4 weeks at least. Those sorts of things make the system somewhat unreliable, currently.

Paper is the only reliable secure way still. I belong to two clubs that manage  bimonthly magazines of excellent quality for a total membership fee of  $80 dollars for both clubs. You can PULL the printed magazine any time. It can be done now or some other time, the cost is easily quantifiable.. Nev

• Like 1

Facthunter, you'd better get used to the paperless 21st Century. Everything is going electronic format, it's only a matter of time before printed matter is in the museums.

I'm in the process of purchasing a parcel of land, the Govt needs Verified ID. This can only be done at a P.O. I went to the P.O., submitted all my documents, they were witnessed, then scanned, and next thing the girl is saying to me, "That's it, you're set to go, all the Verified ID documents have already been electronically sent to the Settlement agents"!

All Land Titles will end up being held in electronic format only, the amount of storage the Govt requires for written documentation, for the ever-increasing population, means constantly-increasing storage facilities.

Mail is becoming a thing of the past, the reason our stamp costs are going up. 

I hired a car recently, the hire form was on the computer touch screen, I signed electronically with my finger on the screen. Parcel deliveries are signed for electronically, along with many other receipts.

How many bookshops have gone out of business in recent years? Thousands, and the few left are struggling. How many people do you see reading a book or paperback on the train or bus?

Virtually no-one, they all have their phones, or laptops, or Kindle readers in hand. Yes, our internet is not as good as it could be, but there's wireless, satellite and mobile phone backup.

I know all that onetrack, but what I've said is also true. You are leaving some by the wayside, and our IT and security system is pretty poor, as we all know. "Better get used to it" doesn't entirely cut it for me.  I'll continue to speak for the others. They can't speak for themselves. Nev

• Like 1

"  Being effectively on line is pretty costly in time and money and currently we have about the worst Internet service of all the countries we like to compare ourselves with. "

I'm online.

But, NBN will knock me off in November. (just more money for less product)

• Like 1

I am shocked I am sure we have been told that Australia has the best internet service, or it will have when,,,

You didn't have to answer every question and you had a few places where you could comment. I doubt that your or my comments will be appreciated unless they align with managements views.

Funny that there was no mention of SAAA magazine, which I am sure many of us receive.

The other half objects to me taking my computer into the bog. What am I to do if nothing is printed anymore?

I feel you do my trick as in, when things get a little 'blocked' down there, I only need to read some of the 'latest directions' columns, and things are moving again. :see no evil:

Jokes aside, I've been getting the hard copy since the eighties, and opted to still get it so my students can have a look.

But now that it's basically mandatory to have a computer (and probably a little better than the 15 year old G3 iMac currently there), in my briefing room, so you can check on students endorsement and membership status, as this is no longer on their cards, plus the fact you need a computer to submit online said endorsements, BFR's, etc (oh but you also need a printer/scanner for these forms because you can't sign them on line, meaning you have to print the filled form, scrawl on the signatures, re-scan the forms and then submit them as emails), so I may as well just get the digital copy of the magazine.

My library shelves are pretty full anyway.

I don't suppose the membership fees will go down, there'll be something else to spend the money I'm sure...

The loss of the mag will result in less connection with members & management. That may be one of the reasons M & M have set up the survey which does not enable a comment such as "neither of these". I wonder what is the cost of the regular 4 pages of  self indulgence & the criticism of past management we get in most issues. I would much rather see 4 pages of readers letters  which seems to have shrunk in the last few years.

There may be alternatives to printing our own mag, There are existing aviation magazines & the ones I have read seem to be struggling to find interesting content. The inclusion of RAA content in an existing mag may well help its survival. RAA could make a contribution which should reduce our current costs & help the private mags sales. The existing mag is an excellent way for members to advertise aircraft for sale but some costs should be borne by the person advertising . Inclusion of our private aircraft sales would be a benefit to any publication. Personally  I must admit that without the private ads I could accept the demise of the mag more easily. It is not just the interest in the ads but it does help me determine the value of my own aircraft. It is espeially useful when I see a similar aircraft for sale & I can say to my wife  " hey look at this , my aircraft is actually increasing in value. I told you it was a good investment."

John Robert

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I do wonder though, with out limited member numbers, do we really need a Playboy quality glossy mag, which in real terms is only supposed to fulfil the role of a newsletter?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I recall cost of PAPER magazine was like $100K to members

we are all paying for it now even if we dont get it, they were hoping for much wider subscriptions, to lower subsidisation but seems it hasnt happened

online version would remain and how glossy it is depends on you ipad condition

RAA kept the subscription cost artificially low in the hope it would attract more subscribers. I subscribe & got an email from Michael Linke on 22/8/19. In it he stated

RAAus produces printed copies of ASP and delivers the magazine to 1750 subscribers, at an annual cost to all members of $216,000. As a subscriber, you help in raising about $6,000 per month for RAAus. The net loss to RAAus members to produce ASP is around $144,000 per annum.

These figures are reflective of the broader economic climate within the magazine industry. Despite ASP only costing $4 per edition to subscribe, our subscription base hasn’t increased in the last three years. Other industry magazines cost upwards of $8 per edition and still we see a number of magazines ceasing to be printed.  Most are converting to a fully digital framework.

He invited subscribers to contact him with their thoughts & said there would be a survey soon. I responded with some comments and advised if it was history then just put the balance in my account as a credit.  Interestingly, I have not received an invitation to complete this or had a response to my email. I like the Mag and know I'm now the minority & have been for some time. I can read it anywhere, take it anywhere & lend it to anyone. 

I was offered a refund but the web site still says I can renew my subscription at any time. Go figure.

• Agree 1