Electric Rag and Tube

Garfly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice line of aircraft. They have all the good brands,  Cessna, Beechcraft and lycoming.  I think the Panthera is what Textron wants to complete their lineup. A worthy competitor to the Cirrus.

Edited by Thruster88
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Swedish sports car maker Koenigsegg are now touting the aerospace cred of their new Quark/Terrier electric motors:

"The Quark is unique in its high efficiency in combination with its class-leading torque-to-power-to-rpm-to-weight matrix. This means, when using the Quark in applications such as marine, aircraft or VTOL, there is no need for a step-down transmission, instead direct drive can be achieved, as the RPM of the motor is right from the get-go. Small high-revving motors can have higher peak power to weight ratio, but they need transmissions in most applications in order to get to the desired output rpm and torque, causing energy loss and adding weight and complexity to do the same job. So any benefit in size is lost. In other cases, like the Terrier application, the transmissions can be reduced in size and complexity compared to higher-revving, less torque dense motors, which is also a big win. I guess we’re trying to reach the edge of optimal in-betweeness.

—CEO and Founder Christian von Koenigsegg

Source:

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2022/02/20220203-quark.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why use one large motor. 

Three or more, each with sprag clutch , driving the prop gear. ( reduction gear from sprag )

ALL On to climb, one third off for cruise,  then two thirds Off to decend.

Only two thirds of the big single for cruising would extend battery life !.

spacesailor

The latest is a ground effect electric hydrofoil/aircraft called a Seaglider.. They are planning to use these around NZ from 2025 as most of the population live on the coast. They will take 100 passengers from coastal town to town at around 540kmh (290 knots) at an altitude of 10 metres. In the unlikely event that it runs out of battery power it just lands on the water & they wait to be rescued.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/128397643/transport-revolution-touted-electric-seagliders-to-connect-nz-cities-by-2025

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

So ... does the SeaGlider come under Maritime control, or Aviation control - or both?? Where would these things fit into the rules of boating? Would sail and power still get right of way over a ground effect craft? What do they do about sea fog? - a common occurrence. Do they drop back into the water at a "safe speed" (i.e. - a few kts) and sound their foghorns?

Unfortunately, there's a lot of shipping that's a lot higher than 10M in height, so right there, is a need for SeaGlider separation from ocean-going craft. And if they're operating coastal, that's where the most boating traffic will be....

Lots of things to consider. I wouldn't want to be out fishing in my tinnie with an 8 engined monster bearing down on me at 540 kmh. One would hope that the ex Boeing engineers will ensure that Regent won't go down the same profit before safety path of their ex employer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The percentage of EV fires is probably lower than the percentage of IC vehicle fires. I think I've personally witnessed, and seen local news items, for a total of about 8 or 10 IC-engine vehicle fires, just this year alone. Even diesel-powered trucks feature regularly in vehicle fires.

I would hazard a guess (which is true for IC-engine vehicles), that the greatest source of fire potential (for EV, IC-engine, or aircraft) is in the wiring harness - and how the harness is installed and run, and how it is protected, features very largely in the fire risk potential.

The second greatest fire threat in IC-engine vehicles is the exhaust manifold and turbo area. Blown turbo oil lines regularly cause fires (when hot oil sprays onto hot exhaust manifolds) and hoses and wiring coming into contact with a hot exhaust manifold, also cause fires.

At least with electric power, you don't have a red-hot exhaust manifold posing a continuous fire threat that needs careful management. If you crash in an aircraft, your chances of a major fire starting, thanks to a hot manifold, are exceptionally high.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1

onetrack

I agree tottaly.

Putting the Main harness behind the cylinder head in cars !,  ( on the firewall.  )

So in a headon crash the motor crushes that harness  between the firewall & head.

AND

More often next to a fuel vapour/return, Plastic hose.

spacesailor

• Like 1

Lucky my half VW, has No exhaust  manifold,  is a very short pipe And never glows red,  ( per side ) Not yet  And in a nose down would possibly break the two 8 mm bolts off leaving those hot pipes on the ground.

spacesailor

• Informative 1

Yes I agree. But there are a lot more ic cars than electric.  I just came across it and thought it might be of interest.  I know of one hangar where lithium batteries are banned because of 2 igniting while on charge.  

Edited by BrendAn
  • Informative 1