RAAus to disclose member details

KRviator

Nobody is flying over the neighbours heads to get to the sports fields so having it next door is quite ok?

Anyone who has experienced the traffic associated with sports fields or boat ramps when the fish are biting or indeed a school know that there are costs that cannot be expressed or controlled by regulatory charges. Community assets can sometimes be community liabilities but when the bushfires or floods come we all appreciated that they exist. Not everything in local government is a revenue centre despite the wishes of the bureaucrats.

• Like 2

JM I think you made my point for me. The dwelling resale value increase because a nice green field that somebody else is paying for appears next door ... has nothing to do with the fields usefulness during times of disaster.

People should think that way but don't.

The east coast latte sucking set, of which I am a member, don't think that way. They just see rich old men with too much time drowning worms from a tin dinghy. You can guess which ones are on the council. Hint: its not the boat ramp users

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everyone needs to email the CEO and let him know what they think, united we stand divided we fall

That would be a start.  

When I had to renew my rego last week I called RAAus to advise them that I was renewing the rego BUT not giving any consent to my details being provided ... unsurprising I was transferred to Michael to talk ... I asked they note my no consent which he said he would then I renewed. 

Not that i consider they have any leg to stand on legally at least they know absolutely that I have specifically stated that they do not have any consent from me.  

Just wondering if RA-AUS had tried to negotiate a fixed discounted pricing model for RA aircraft operating on AAA controlled airfields or has RA-AUS  made this agreement to further the desire to please CASA and  the planned expansion to register GA aircraft and their operators.

""OR""... Is RAAus getting some commission from AAA?

KP.

Everyone needs to email the CEO and let him know what they think, united we stand divided we fall

... and tell him make sure it's legal, then go ahead and release the details. RAAus members have been dodging costs and ruining it for all of us. Suppose that it is grossly unfair that pilots are charged for using aerodromes - the members doding costs have still been ruining it for the rest of us.

Personally, I don't even care if releasing people's details is illegal. If the people who wrote the constitution had foreseen this problem, then they would have made it legal to release members' details to those who collect landing fees. 

problem is we pay to be represented and l don't believe that its our organisation role to report our details to other parties who dont or are they?

RAAus members have been dodging costs and ruining it for all of us. Suppose that it is grossly unfair that pilots are charged for using aerodromes - the members doding costs have still been ruining it for the rest of us.

GA members have been dodging costs and ruining it for all of us. Suppose that it is grossly unfair that (RAA) pilots are charged and licence/membership fee and aircraft rego. It's about time GA pilots paid for their licence and rego and stopped ruining it for the rest of us..... 

GA members have been dodging costs and ruining it for all of us. Suppose that it is grossly unfair that (RAA) pilots are charged and licence/membership fee and aircraft rego. It's about time GA pilots paid for their licence and rego and stopped ruining it for the rest of us..... 

Are you suggesting that GA pilots are refusing to pay landing fees and getting GA pilots and RA-AUS pilots banned from airfields? No? No. So you sophistry is boring. 

If you think VH rego will be cheaper, register VH. Duh. 

This could be solved by making RAAus aircraft part of the VH register - no real issues as many jurisdictions do it and the GFA does it here.

In GFA you pay a fee for every gliders annual inspection to fly ( Form 2); pay a fee one way or another.   An example; maybe GFA could provide the form 2 at no cost and have a registration fee each year - the RAAus way.  We still pay for the privilege.  Cheers Mike

In my view this thread has drifted into collapsing two related issues into one and ignoring the original point-

1. Right or wrong there is a perception that RAAus registered aircraft operators are not paying landing fees AND unlike GA the register for RAAus aircraft are not visibility to airfield operators to seek recovery of landing fees claimed

2. In an attempt to address the perception of 1. RAAus management wanted to make thecregister visible to airfield operators to allow them to directly seek recovery from RAAus members of landing fees claimed.

This thread was about the actions of RAAus in agreeing and facilitating 2. By allowing third party access to RAAus database data of RAAus aircraft ownership and address details. 

If if you put aside the rights and wrongs of 1. And focus on 2. Only the issue is much clearer - access to personal information about RAAus aircraft owners is being made available to people outside RAAus for which there is no legal obligation in law to disclose nor direct consent from members.  

Put aside the moral or political “right” of aircraft operators paying landing fees and you have a clear issue.  

As a parallel- your doctor is asked by your insurer to provide them

directly with your medical history so they can decide on your premiums at renewal.  The information is potentially beneficial to you ...   should you object if you were not asked?

Similar - you are working part time following an accident at home and you are getting income protection payments from an insurer -  your employer is asked by the insurer to provide your payslips to your insurer to allow them to pay the correct part pay each fortnight ... feel you should be asked?  

And this is without ANY consideration of will the data RAAus allow others to see be held in their IT systems and how it will be used. 

• Like 3
  • Winner 1

I  

And this is without ANY consideration of will the data RAAus allow others to see be held in their IT systems and how it will be used. 

If I was I was concerned with the release of my private data I would get a P.O. box. In 23 years of VH ownership with my home address freely available  the only thing that has happened is Aviation Trader, which I enjoy. If mode S transponders become mandatory for all down the track then there will be something to whine about.

• Like 1

Unless you signed and objection a couple of months ago, your medical records are available for approved professionals to view under certain conditions.

If you buy spare parts for your car from the larger suppliers, you simply give them your registration number, and their system feeds them the VIN and model details of your car.

We are in the digital age and the digital age, for the greater good, squeezes out the sneaky operators who used to cheat. They can squeal but digital provides to many good benefits that we are never going back for the few.

For example, imagine if you have a serious accident on your next holiday, or collapse in a shopping centre.  When the ambulance officers become aware of your identity that triggers all the information they normally ask including current medication you are taking, and allergies, and history of illnesses which might allow them to do something quickly to save your life. You may be unconscious while this is happening. Before you even get to the hospital, they will already know all this, and may already have contacted your local doctor.

In business digital ensures you are paying the correct price for the correct item; mistakes are eliminated; the little errors which maybe cost you a few hundred dollars a year are gone.

Going to the pint that Kasper has just raised, and any crackpot get-out-of paying theories, if for some reasons RAA in its Limited Company form WAS required to deny liability for a debt by any of its Shareholders, it may be just a matter of changing the rules, or something like a mandatory transponder could be introduced to ensure all payment notices went to the correct aircraft. That would be preferable to the blunt instrument approach where airfields would nominate what income they were losing and the honesty system would be replaced but an across the board annual loading to the registration fee of each aircraft.

Many pilots have opted out of the digital medical system for fear that CASA will access and misuse the data. The concept is sound, but the risk is very real. I don’t see any similar risk with airport fees, just pay what you owe.

• Agree 1

Do we have any hard data about how many landing fees are actually being avoided? If every RAA aircraft avoided paying a $10 landing fee once a year that would be a whopping $33k lost revenue. Goes to show you just how willing the RAA is to sell out its members to keep CASA happy.

• Like 1

In my view this thread has drifted into collapsing two related issues into one and ignoring the original point-

1. Right or wrong there is a perception that RAAus registered aircraft operators are not paying landing fees AND unlike GA the register for RAAus aircraft are not visibility to airfield operators to seek recovery of landing fees claimed

2. In an attempt to address the perception of 1. RAAus management wanted to make thecregister visible to airfield operators to allow them to directly seek recovery from RAAus members of landing fees claimed.

This thread was about the actions of RAAus in agreeing and facilitating 2. By allowing third party access to RAAus database data of RAAus aircraft ownership and address details. 

If if you put aside the rights and wrongs of 1. And focus on 2. Only the issue is much clearer - access to personal information about RAAus aircraft owners is being made available to people outside RAAus for which there is no legal obligation in law to disclose nor direct consent from members.  

Put aside the moral or political “right” of aircraft operators paying landing fees and you have a clear issue.  

As a parallel- your doctor is asked by your insurer to provide them

directly with your medical history so they can decide on your premiums at renewal.  The information is potentially beneficial to you ...   should you object if you were not asked?

Similar - you are working part time following an accident at home and you are getting income protection payments from an insurer -  your employer is asked by the insurer to provide your payslips to your insurer to allow them to pay the correct part pay each fortnight ... feel you should be asked?  

And... if you put aside 2, 1 is clear. 

Do we have any hard data about how many landing fees are actually being avoided? If every RAA aircraft avoided paying a $10 landing fee once a year that would be a whopping $33k lost revenue. Goes to show you just how willing the RAA is to sell out its members to keep CASA happy.

If we are talking about $10 per aircraft per year why don't  those people do the dignified thing and pay what they owe.  I pay through my hire  fee, why should I wait at the holding point for a pilot who is using a faciliyy that I am paying for?  The field I fly from has great facilities, the windsock is always new tha grass raxi ways always in good nick. I for one appreciatte the facilities a available to me and bit too tight to pay for them

• Agree 1

In business digital ensures you are paying the correct price for the correct item; mistakes are eliminated; the little errors which maybe cost you a few hundred dollars a year are gone.

Tell that to the Commonwealth bank....

Everything you have said is true, but it can be used for exactly the opposite purpose ....

I know one person who had their bank acc emptied...

And another who had their super fleeced....

Where did the information come from to be able to do that? 

" In business digital ensures you are paying the correct price for the correct item; mistakes are eliminated "

You Have to be joking, some poor sods are looking at million dollar bills, with just a missing digit or dot, or even an extra three zero's.

Machines Don't come up without a Person entering DATA.

But machine Do go wrong, and "stuff-up" the end result !.

Funny they (who ever|) picked tens, when computers run on "bits" that are Not ten based.

spacesailor

Tell that to the Commonwealth bank....

Everything you have said is true, but it can be used for exactly the opposite purpose ....

I know one person who had their bank acc emptied...

And another who had their super fleeced....

Where did the information come from to be able to do that? 

Usually the password stuck to the fridge or the computer, or based on the dog's name, birthday, "mum" etc.