Jab down Tasmania 30 Nov 2020

7 minutes ago, Kenlsa said:

The nose leg is designed to collapse as it is the built in safety feature to minimise a tip over. All correct!

Ken

I don't think so; the tip over is usually the result of the nose hitting the direct when there is forward energy.

However, I wouldn't say Jab nose wheels are weak.

We don't have enough information yet on the landing paddock or what was in it.

Personally in a forced landing I'm more than happy to snap of the whole undercarriage because it's lowing me down. A small ditch, rebbit burrow or stump will do it.

12 minutes ago, Kenlsa said:

The nose leg is designed to collapse as it is the built in safety feature to minimise a tip over. All correct!

Ken

Have a good look at that paddock Ken ,no rocks no gulles just tufts of grass   hmmm.........

I wouldn't like to guess on that paddock being nice and smooth. To me, it looks like cattle have been pawing the ground and digging small depressions, as they do, looking for grass in bare pastures. Also, bulls paw the ground and dig holes, too.

Look into a paddock where cattle have been located for a period of time, and you'll soon see the ground is not at all conducive for smooth outlandings. Give me a plowed or scarified wheatbelt cropping paddock any time.

rocks are visible lurking in the grass on the bottom left hand side of the photo.

looks like a reasonably fair outcome, really, considering less favourable options. 

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, kgwilson said:

Commentary stated he hit a rock. If it was big and immovable the nosewheel is going to collapse no matter what aircraft it is.

Ahem... not a tail dragger 😉

Edited by Tex

Just plain bad luck - the only rock in the paddock. 

He got it down without stalling in so well done. 

Or 

If any one cast another stone here - let him be the next engine failure and we will score your landing from the safety on the couch  too!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

once on the ground, should have re-flared it right ???, lift the nose wheel back up at just the right time  to dodge the rock ? :-)

....deadpan....

This is why, the "clean up Australia day" litter cleanup needs to have scope extended to cleaning up all  rocks in all fields, and putting white red cones on those that cannot be moved, wherever they are. :-)

Edited by RFguy
  • Haha 2

Personally I would feel much safer coming down in a jab than many of the other aircraft around.

Glad to hear the pilot is relatively ok and I wish him well like I am sure most of you do as well 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, kgwilson said:

Commentary stated he hit a rock. If it was big and immovable the nosewheel is going to collapse no matter what aircraft it is.

Taildragger would have gone over it, but i digress , my apologies for not seeing those rocks and ,yes he has done a fine job and taildraggers are not immune either,i personally had my1358036984_loehlecrash(8).thumb.JPG.d62b9a5c0f58fc96dcca7f5c3c96c4f9.JPG 503 fail [fuel pump] and landed in a paddock and hit the only little ditch [not seen from the air ] and destroyed my undercarriage JPG00013.thumb.JPG.b8ab0ccc889b6e8039b99e9b1d0a6bac.JPG917116126_loehlecrash(10).thumb.JPG.f50731b343af1f5d9b1fb6410e6fbeb5.JPG on my loehle a while ago [ if you look along the wing line just above it you can see the little ditch]

Edited by bull

A few feet left or right in a TD & the main gear would have hit it, then a skew one way and the momentum ends up with the wing in the ground possibly hitting another rock & etc etc. No it was bad luck but a good end result.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

A few feet left or right in a TD & the main gear would have hit it, then a skew one way and the momentum ends up with the wing in the ground possibly hitting another rock & etc etc. No it was bad luck but a good end result.

Yes you are right there,he was lucky that paddock was there as there is LOTS of tassie tiger country around here that does not leave you much chance . And he has done a very good job ,he is in one piece and so is the jab more or less.

Edited by bull

17 hours ago, onetrack said:

and you'll soon see the ground is not at all conducive for smooth outlandings. Give me a plowed or scarified wheatbelt cropping paddock any time.

Be interesting with an uninsured aircraft what the compensation would be for crop damage removing the wreck.

1 hour ago, Student Pilot said:

Be interesting with an uninsured aircraft what the compensation would be for crop damage removing the wreck.

Most cow farmers i,ve met would go out of their way to help you in this situation ,,when i landed in a "cow farm PADDOCK' the farmer offerred everything from the use of his sheds to store my aircraft and the use of his tractors and trucks etc and even made me some sandwiches and a nice cup of tea. Not one mention of damage to the "grass" or frightened cattle ,[the bloody things where more curious then frightened] might be a different matter if you landed in barley or wheat and started a fire ?, 

Edited by bull
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1