Emergency landing at Sydney beach

1 minute ago, SSCBD said:

Three people- Baby?

Yeah ? RAA reg plane, 3 people?

Edit:  Great result though, well executed forced landing.

Edited by RossK
  • Like 1

I wonder what the media means by "A minor engine failure" A failure is a failure so how can it be major or minor? But at least it wasn't described as a Cessna.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

I wonder what the media means by "A minor engine failure" A failure is a failure so how can it be major or minor? But at least it wasn't described as a Cessna.

The ABC actually reported it as a Tecnam P2008 😲

• Like 1

I have been hesitant at taking my children anymore, it is my choice to fly, if something goes wrong, I don't want to be responsible for hurting them or worse.

probably over cautious, 

It is good that this one came out well.

• Like 2

Great outcome given the area and options.  

However, not going to be a great outcome for the pilot if there were three people in an raaus registered aircraft...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

must of been fuel or engine related. Is rotax, so must be fuel system trouble related.
or.... running out of fuel in one of those  due to miscalculation is a pretty difficult effort .

still, did an excellent job on the beach. 

This is now the second accident/incident I’m aware of where three people were on board an RAAus aircraft. 
There was a guy a couple of years ago had wife and a child onboard and crashed. Was discussed at length on this forum. Wonder what happened to him about that?  

51 minutes ago, RFguy said:

must of been fuel or engine related. Is rotax, so must be fuel system trouble related.
or.... running out of fuel in one of those  due to miscalculation is a pretty difficult effort .

still, did an excellent job on the beach. 

Rotax engine failure rate is 1.5 per 10000 hours flight time ( or so ATSB/CASA stated in their report from a few years ago). Why have you narrowed it down to fuel? 

• Agree 1

Mmmmm .. wonder if that’s why the pilot refused an interview "

After the Princes Dia And Micheal Jackson interviews !.

why would anyone give an interview to Any reporter.

spacesailor

Nope. They selected engine types specifically to decrease the incidence and Included only engines “comparable to the Jabiru “ as it was used to justify the restrictions placed on Janiru. 

Edited by Jaba-who

Rotax do seem to  have their share of particular ignition electrical problems , and some alternator issues, moistures, insulation wear....  
..I dont think Rotax have that side of things quite right.

(I think Jab have the ignition side pretty well sorted).   

But a (912) rotax is not going to throw a piston if pushed into the red for an extended period. It'll just get hot.

anyway, we shall maybe see what happened to that Tecnam. 

Mice eat the electricals ? quite possible. More likely than dog eating homework.

Edited by RFguy

3 persons on board so the news describes. Lets assume that is true.

RAAus registered confirmed by the pics.

CAO 95.55 describes it's for 2 place aircraft. Was the aircraft a 2 place aircraft (places for only 2 people) Yes.(assume not modified with a third seat.)

RAAus Ops manual describes 2 seat aircraft. Was the aircraft a 2 seat aircraft? (seats for 2 people) Yes. (assume not modified with a third seat.)

See where I'm going with this?

Is there actually an RAAus rule about the number of passenger(s) you may take? i.e ONE. I can't find one, though it is probably there? Is it?

Interesting eh?

• Like 3

Was having the same conversation this afternoon with someone, not sure on RAA specifics on passenger numbers but CAO 20.16.3 (11) does talk about infants being able to be carried on lap, and the usual rules on dual control and interference etc.

How you could sit in a P2008 or any of the Tecnam 2 seaters and have enough room for passenger and child on lap, and not interfere with controls would be something I'd love to see.

Assuming said person was very very slight.

Either way, I wouldn't like to be that guy if this turns out to be outside the rules, CASA would be the last of his problems once mum finds out.

• Like 1

Well I guess he could say the child is a newborn and his wife went in to expedited labour when the engine failed, was born on descent to the forced landing cleaned up and dressed before touchdown.

Oh and the child aged a year through the experience of it all.

That should work?

Edited by alf jessup
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, 440032 said:

3 persons on board so the news describes. Lets assume that is true.

RAAus registered confirmed by the pics.

CAO 95.55 describes it's for 2 place aircraft. Was the aircraft a 2 place aircraft (places for only 2 people) Yes.(assume not modified with a third seat.)

RAAus Ops manual describes 2 seat aircraft. Was the aircraft a 2 seat aircraft? (seats for 2 people) Yes. (assume not modified with a third seat.)

See where I'm going with this?

Is there actually an RAAus rule about the number of passenger(s) you may take? i.e ONE. I can't find one, though it is probably there? Is it?

Interesting eh?

The aircraft is registered “23-xxxx” and is therefore a LSA. No modifications are allowed without approval from the manufacturer. We can assume from that, that it is a standard 2 seat aircraft.