Who to vote for RAAus election

Bruce Tuncks

Reading the election statements in the last magazine, we have several good blokes to vote for. But do any of them frequent this forum I wonder...

I would appreciate any advice about who to vote for. My main interests are in assisting with educated owner maintenance and enabling safer flight by reducing height restrictions which I believe to be "accidentally-on-purpose" dangerous.

• Agree 1

I don't know any of them, but there are two of the present board up for re election. Michael Monk is the one lots of people love to hate.

I wonder about Alan Middletons comments about making RAAus a leader in SE Asia. Does he have ambitions of an empire.

Neel Khokani seems to be an active businessman in aviation, but would that be good for RAAus. Barry Windle seems to be business as usual.

My feeling is to keep with the incumbents. Anyone have any further info?

• Caution 1

Any one recieved the voteing papers yet? 18 th of July, still no mag or papers and going away next week so will not be able to vote. Not a good first election with the new business structure if they cant get the papers out to the members by a reasonable time frame.

I have sugested to RAA to postpone the vote for a month so all members get a chance to vote.

• Agree 5

bruce I suspect that undercover they may watch this forum I know off one that used this forum site to state his case as to vote for him opps that's two

BUT it can get very messy

When the owner off this site ian was getting it up and going he xxxxxxxxx personally told me that it should be shut down as it was off no benefit to our organization

ian has stated that this recreational flying forum site is there for sutch information

SSCBD one does as stated neil

• Like 1

In my previous post I omitted mention of Tony Davis. He seems knowledgable and would probably be capable but also seems to fall into the trap of thinking directors do the daily running of a company. He wants to take over the job of the CEO. Very laudable maybe, but if directors run the company on a daily basis, why do we need a CEO. Surely the CEO is responsible to the board for compliance with the regulations and keeping CASA happy.

I got my Sport Pilot on Monday and I notice that the key dates are given as. Voting opens on July 1st. That would be hard with no information available at that date. Is there a minimum timespan for information to be given out before the closing of voting?

• Like 1

I got my Sport Pilot on Monday and I notice that the key dates are given as. Voting opens on July 1st. That would be hard with no information available at that date. Is there a minimum timespan for information to be given out before the closing of voting?

Maybe by design Yen. Certainly that is the belief on some/many! It is now the 19th and I have received nothing as yet.

• Like 1

Good luck working out what rules are for any particular election in RAAus. I'm only 100% certain about 1 thing though. The twin Michaels at RAAus will be absolutely certain that it's fully compliant and the results are absolutely exactly what all members want.

• Agree 2

It is first past the post, the way most entities run elections. You could suggest a better way and have it put as a special resolution.

RAA is much better than a lot of organisations where the only notice calling for nominations is buried among the sex shop ads in the Bridport edition of the Launceston Advertiser. In one organisation that I am in the only resolutions entertained are for the removal of directors - otherwise the business is run by the board in secret cabal. The shareholders are treated as unwashed scum and camped out with the mushrooms.

Australia Post have gone from bad to worse. I used to get the Mag in the first week or so of the month. Last month it had not arrived by the 23rd so I emailed RAA. I ended up getting the June copy on the 3rd of July followed by another copy sent from RAA on 5th of July. I have not yet received the July copy now over 3 weeks into the month. I have a PO box and live close to Coffs just off the Pacific Highway. This is pathetic service. I complained to the Postmaster & the response was that everyone else was complaining too & they couldn't do anything. Grrr.

• Agree 2

Got our magazines today.

The voting process (opening, closing, method of voting etc) is rather vague. From the Constitution of RAA Ltd:-

34.4 ..... Any voting method employed for the purpose of electing Directors shall be consistent with those methods accepted by the Australian Electoral Commission or an equivalent body.

The AEC does not have any guidelines on their website, so there's no indication of the "accepted" methods.

As for "conflict of interest" - the early Board members were almost all men who ran Flying Schools. The 5 candidates have statements regarding their business interests in aviation:- It appears only 2 derive income from aviation businesses - NEEL KHOKHANI as CEO of Soar Aviation/Soar Advanced Flight Training, and ALAN MIDDLETON as the Chairperson of Directors at Bluewater Airport in Townsville and an active RAAus flying instructor.

They are 5 good candidates. It makes the decision harder.

• Agree 2

Good luck working out what rules are for any particular election in RAAus. I'm only 100% certain about 1 thing though. The twin Michaels at RAAus will be absolutely certain that it's fully compliant and the results are absolutely exactly what all members want.

Really ? ? ?

• Agree 1

It seems to me reading all the candidates statements that the transformation of RAA to GA mk2 is a feat a compli. All seem be reading from the same hymnal - are these candidates hand picked and asked to apply?.

It all worries me. I hope there is a cat among the pigeons and Mike M misses out.

• Agree 2
  • Caution 1

It seems to me reading all the candidates statements that the transformation of RAA to GA mk2 is a feat a compli. All seem be reading from the same hymnal - are these candidates hand picked and asked to apply?.It all worries me. I hope there is a cat among the pigeons and Mike M misses out.

M & M is not a good candidate - way too much unimpressive stuff from TD - very sad that good people don't apply - not impressived with the CEO - everything is way too similar to a few years ago -

Love to hear some comments

Does anyone support the MM and the current CEO?

• Agree 1

M & M is not a good candidate - way too much unimpressive stuff from TD - very sad that good people don't apply - not impressived with the CEO - everything is way too similar to a few years ago -Love to hear some comments

Does anyone support the MM and the current CEO?

Yes I do.

• Agree 2

It seems to me reading all the candidates statements that the transformation of RAA to GA mk2 is a feat a compli. All seem be reading from the same hymnal - are these candidates hand picked and asked to apply?.It all worries me. I hope there is a cat among the pigeons and Mike M misses out.

Bill, there is certainly some very strong opinions around on two sides. I think it has a lot with "areas". Whether these opinions are reflected in the (now) Australia wide vote for unknown people is reflected in the voting remains to be seen (probably less then 1 out of 10 thousand) - immaterial to my personal opinion I would like to get some money on what I believe will be the outcome - as the system was set up to achieve.

Maybe we should vote Australia Post out. June turned up on 1st of July, July not here yet. I use a PO box and am next to a rural city and still can't get things on time ie bills, mags. Order something from the US and its here in a week even through customs.

Go figure?

• Agree 2

Well we could have gone to online voting through the member portal ... except the drafting of the nice new company was and remains inadequate ... and dare I say it again - badly drawn to the extent it fails to actually do what they thought even if they bother following what they think it says.

Hello ClintonB,

I wonder is it all AustPost to blame?

When were the mags given to AustPost to distribute?

AustPost can not deliver mags if they are sitting in an office.

KP

Why then do some members get their magazine in the first week of the month and 21 days into the month mine has still not been delivered? 3 months ago I always received it in the first 10 days of the month.