Pilot dies in light aircraft crash south of Townsville

I always looked forward to meeting him, he turned up in so many places and was both an inspiration and a true gentleman. I only hope he died quickly and happy.

He will be sorely missed.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Only ever met Ross once, he was a good bloke, didn't like Jabiru engines. Ironic that it wasn't (I presume) a Jab that got him! Dangerous game we play, doesn't matter how good or experienced you are that turn back will kill you. My condolences to his family.

Gutted... Tottaly gutted.. Wasn't long ago I was interviewing Ross about his accident in the 80's for something I was writing fro the Raa. Dinner with him and his lovely wife and daughter... Mortified..

I will finish what we started buddy

• Like 5

Being new to flying and this forum I obviously never met Ross. This is my first post and it is to offer my condolences.

It was obvious to me reading his posts that he was very knowledgeable, experienced and a good guy who was keen to offer his knowledge to others and I am sure the aviation community will miss him. My prayers go out to his family and friends.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

I just got back in from the field and cannot believe what I am seeing.

I had the pleasure of meeting Maj in Townsville a few years back while holidaying from Cairns to Brisbane and we hit it off straight away, had regular contact with him since then.

I am numb, gutted and shattered to here of this accident involving Ross.

Ross was passionate about aviation as we all could see on here and I guess the only upside to this tragic accident is he passed doing something he loved.

Wherever you are now heading mate, let there be a beloved Lightwing and a 912 to take you there

Your knowledge, warmth, humor & everything about you will be missed by many mate, RIP Major Ross Millard

Gone way too soon

Condolences to Ross's family

Alf

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

Truly appalling news. I only met Maj on a couple of occasions, but he struck me as warm and friendly, and very willing to offer advice and support. That such a knowledgeable and seasoned aviator should succumb to the dreaded turnback should be a sobering reminder to all of us.....

Rest in Peace, Ross - you will be sorely missed.

Neil

• Agree 6

RIP Ross old mate, we had many a good chat, i'll miss you and your wisdom. You where always available when i wanted advice or a chat, even if I did spew in your plane going to Monto.

I'm getting to the point of wondering if this is worth it.... we've lost so many good people in the last few years, which has contributed to my no longer flying.

What a senseless waste of human life.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I haven't spent too much time on this forum lately with everything happening around me at the moment, but was planning to be in Townsville again in the next few weeks and would have hoped to catch up with Ross while I was up that way.. came on here tonight only to be shocked by this horrible news, Ross made a lot of friends in the flying fraternity,

and I just hope that his loved ones can be buoyed a little with the knowledge that he is held with the utmost respect by many and will be sorely missed... Thank you Frankie for the video as it does give those that didn't know him a little of the essence that was... RIP Maj....

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Caution 1

I know.. still...

I know how you feel Hong. It's always times like this that have us questioning. But remember mate, a pilot can live more in 1 hour than many people live in a year... Maj flew everywhere he could, as often as he could . He was more at home in the air then he was on the ground.

• Like 3
  • Agree 11
  • Informative 1

This is very sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Ross, along with a lot of other terrific people, at Starke Field in July this year. I wish to add my sincerest condolences for Ross' family and friends who must be feeling quite numb. Laurie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

Oh, no! Not Ross.

I just couldn't believe what the TV was just telling me.

Unbelievably sad. So hard to get used to the idea he'll never post for us here again.

What a presence he's been here on RecFlying for years and years.

What a wit he was; and a pillar of strength, in heaps of ways, for all of us lovers of flight for the sake of it.

He was totally smitten with all things aviation for his whole life, it seems. He knew so much.

Suddenly this photo's so melancholy; Ross on his golf cart at the fantastic place he and his family built in the hills behind Ingham. Typical of his kindness, he invited me to stay some days there when I was moving around Qld. last year. I never did get the chance to meet his family in Townsville. I can only imagine how they're suffering, tonight.

IMG_0363.jpg.568c2f12e5064f55cc8acc0c9900d624.jpg

603948715_IMG_0376-V2.jpg.636c57e7f50248f18d2c2c66d46d9d3b.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg.347f8967c6e06436c57d3ce3b95d92af.jpg

• Like 10
  • Agree 3